Home

CPU is defending my WRs with linebackers! can i change this?

This is a discussion on CPU is defending my WRs with linebackers! can i change this? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: CPU is defending my WRs with linebackers! can i change this?

guys, i don't think anyone is purposelly hijacking this thread but many people are off my original point:

the CPU while playing defense, does not properly put the right defensive package out to play against my offense.

this makes it too easy to complete passes when the CPU has a linebacker covering a WR with 94 speed, for example.

i'm NOT talking about how i as a human can cover the CPU's offensive players.

sorry, but i'd like to keep this thread on my original topic. your points are valid concerns but deserve it's own thread.

thanks.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 10

I'm willing to bet this is happening when you call a run play then audible to a pass. In order to feign intelligence the AI cheats and calls defenses based on your playcall rather than basing it on down/distance/personnel. This means if you call a run play out of a 4WR singleback set the CPU will call a 4-3/3-4 to stop that run. Every. Single. Time. Now if you audible to a pass you can take advantage of the fact that they don't have enough DBs on the field to properly cover your WRs and you can throw it around all day. For me this makes the game unplayable unless you put strict house-rules on yourself, namely no audibles from run to pass.
NHL: LA Kings
Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmetalbooze
guys, i don't think anyone is purposelly hijacking this thread but many people are off my original point:

the CPU while playing defense, does not properly put the right defensive package out to play against my offense.

this makes it too easy to complete passes when the CPU has a linebacker covering a WR with 94 speed, for example.

i'm NOT talking about how i as a human can cover the CPU's offensive players.

sorry, but i'd like to keep this thread on my original topic. your points are valid concerns but deserve it's own thread.

thanks.
To answer your question, the only answer is Gameplanning. You will need to create defensive gameplans for the CPU to use and then edit those gameplans to place the CPU in Nickel, Dime, and Quarter defensive packages against Trips and 4+ WR sets. This should solve the problem you're currently facing.

But since EA broke Gameplanning, you will also need to find a workaround that actually works.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

Quote:
thanks, dude.

"raise the Pass/Run slider to 90 or 100"

i'll try it but it seems a bit counterintuitive: if the slider is on the far end of RUN, doesn't that suggest the CPU will have more linebackers and fewer defensive backs in matchups with my WRs because linebackers are better run stoppers?

also, in the Coaches strategy, does changing the Importance of certain positions or messing with the sliders (Defensive ends, D tackles, Linebackers, Cornerbacks, etc.) make a difference to how the CPU matches up personnel?

logic would suggest that putting the Linebackers importance on 0 and d-backs on 100 would help with my problem.

i guess i could experiment but i'm not at home right now and just wondered if someone's already figured it out.

thanks again.
How is it counterintuitive, the slider at 90 or 100 means a strong bias towards defending the pass.

The importance sliders won't affect gameplay whatsoever, that just affects the draft logic.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
To answer your question, the only answer is Gameplanning. You will need to create defensive gameplans for the CPU to use and then edit those gameplans to place the CPU in Nickel, Dime, and Quarter defensive packages against Trips and 4+ WR sets. This should solve the problem you're currently facing.

But since EA broke Gameplanning, you will also need to find a workaround that actually works.
Is there a workaround? Assigning gameplans to the CPU has been broken since the last patch I'm pretty sure.

You're right though, that's the ideal solution.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
Is there a workaround? Assigning gameplans to the CPU has been broken since the last patch I'm pretty sure.

You're right though, that's the ideal solution.
Selecting your opponent's team and their gameplans to start the game and then switching the controller to your team at the opening kickoff does work. What I'm not certain of yet is whether the game sliders for HUM/CPU stay in effect after the kickoff.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
I've noticed this as well. What I haven't kept track of is whether or not this only happens on 1st and 10 and 2nd and short plays, but I suspect it does.

I believe that the CPU selects plays for itself with the same logic it selects plays for players who use gameflow. If that's the case, then it suffers from the same bug: on defense, gameflow will always select a "normal" defense on 1st and 10 and 2nd and short, regardless of what package the offense selects. You can try adding a dime call in the "normal" package in gameplan, but it's still hit or miss, and sometimes you'll end up in a dime vs a regular offensive set (e.g. i formation)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Selecting your opponent's team and their gameplans to start the game and then switching the controller to your team at the opening kickoff does work. What I'm not certain of yet is whether the game sliders for HUM/CPU stay in effect after the kickoff.
I thought this 'trick' was broken after the most recent patch. At least it seemed to be when I tried it, maybe I'll have to try it again.

One problem with Gameplan, even when you've assigned one to the CPU, I don't like how there's a grab-bag approach to the playcalling. For instance, against 3 WR set on 3rd and 1, the CPU should be favoring some kind of run blitz, rather than randomly choosing between the plays assigned for a nickel situation. I find that tweaking the coaching sliders and not using Gameplan actually results in the CPU calling a smarter game.

All preference of course, I'm not saying either way is really better. CPU playcalling is still a major problem in Madden, no matter how you try and work around it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »