Home

Emualtion VS Innovation

This is a discussion on Emualtion VS Innovation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What Should Madden Devs Prioritze?
Emulation 20 95.24%
Innovation 0 0%
Neither, Madden should be a yearly roster update. 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Emualtion VS Innovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
I think this is where competition helps, Madden devs may have a ton of ideas, but may not want to risk trying them out on the only football game to market. By having more devs trying to make their games different, the other companies can see what successful risks their competitors took and adapt them to their game- without all the responsibility for failure being on one company.
I have to disagree with the statement in bold. There's no risk in putting formation substitinos back into the pause menu. There's no risk in having 53 man rosters and 45 active game-day rosters. There's no risk in a working IR feature.

The fact that Madden is the only game in town all but eliminates and risk all together. Take a look at NBA Elite; if NBA elite was the only basketball game on the market, it would've been released despite it's flaws. They took a risks and tried to have a physics based game; they over-hauled it, and it didn't work. EA new nobody would've bought that mess over 2k11.

People complain about Madden ever year, just like they did with Elite; every year Madden still gets released despite having game-breaking flaws that prevent people from enjoying the game to the fullest for months.

It's the fact that the license takes up so much of the budget, and the fact that sales have been declining.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #18
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
LT, the poll asked, which should they prioritize. Like I said in my first post, I think innovation is cool if it is in uncharted areas or better than what has already been done.

I am not against innovation but I am against ignoring successful features from the past just so they can market something new every year or whatever the motivation. The motivating factor for innovation should always be improvement, IMO. If the innovation will not be better than what already exists, emulate what exists until the innovation is better. I will be all for "Beyond Broadcast" when it adds more to the game than network broadcasting but until then, I want network broadcast presentation! LOL
No I know, but it is entirely possible to prioritize more than one thing lol.

I get the poll, and I voted in it, and can do so with a clear conscious. I just hate to be pigeonholed into giving an answer that doesn't truly represent my sentiment.

If that makes any sense.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #19
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
Tiburon, with Madden, is in the emulation business. They're trying to emulate what goes on in the NFL. They haven't been successful because the attempts at innovation have been lackluster to say the least. Quality innovations will naturally lead to more and better innovation.
Attempting innovation and coming up lackluster is fine if you are improving areas of the game. However, I don't want them IMPLEMENTING lackluster innovation in areas that have already been done successfully by past Madden video games, other football video games or the actual NFL.

Innovation is great when it adds improvement, if it is not adding improvement, emulate what has already been successful until your innovation is BETTER. I don't want multiple installments of pro-tak if the first part doesn't look as good as tackle animations from a 2004 video game.

If they are going to innovate something in Madden, I want it to IMPROVE on what has already been done. This NOT what next-gen Madden has been doing, IMO, and I would like to see it happen.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #20
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
No I know, but it is entirely possible to prioritize more than one thing lol.

I get the poll, and I voted in it, and can do so with a clear conscious. I just hate to be pigeonholed into giving an answer that doesn't truly represent my sentiment.

If that makes any sense.
I feel what you are saying to a certain extent but here is what I mean. When creating Madden the dev team M.O. should be;

Plan A: Try to emulate/copy the actual NFL

Plan B: If they can not emulate/copy the actual NFL for whatever reason, emulate/copy what other football video games have done successfully.

Plan C: If Plan B can't be done or they can NOTICEABLY improve on Plan B, innovate.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #21
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
I feel what you are saying to a certain extent but here is what I mean. When creating Madden the dev team M.O. should be;

Plan A: Try to emulate/copy the actual NFL

Plan B: If they can not emulate/copy the actual NFL for whatever reason, emulate/copy what other football video games have done successfully.

Plan C: If Plan B can't be done or they can NOTICEABLY improve on Plan B, innovate.

I hear you. I totally agree about the presentation example. It boggles my mind.

I have my own reasons for believing why it is they do things like that and some of the other decisions they make, but I won't get into it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #22
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Emulating what they've(and 2K as well) done before seems like the safest thing to do. And something I definitely want.

But innovating what you've done before seems just as important. So, to give a real boring answer... I want both.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »