Home

39 speed & 99 acceleration!

This is a discussion on 39 speed & 99 acceleration! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
The Legendary Roots Crew

Sublime12089's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: 39 speed & 99 acceleration!

I could see a D-Lineman with great acceleration and low speed.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGFOOT999
I could see a D-Lineman with great acceleration and low speed.
not totally disputing that. just disputing to what degree.

please show me a real NFL player on the Madden roster with anywhere close to 39 speed and 99 Accel.

if a real-life example exists, i am wrong. if one doesn't, i think that proves my point.

what's the biggest difference in the game with a player with 96 speed and his acceleration? certainly not 20 points or 25 points.

i can provide real examples from home. but if you have your system handy, check and this debate can be settled.

all i ask is that CPU-gen rookies model real players. there are hundreds of existing players; the CPU doesn't need to create totally new skill sets that no real players possesses at all.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Actually there's great episode of Sports Science with Larry Fitzgerald where they show the real life impact of short area burst acceleration in comparison to speed. MANY NFL'ers can be quick but aren't fast. MANY are fast but not quick. MANY are fast but take a while to reach top speed while MANY can get to top speed in an instant.

This is all stuff proven in science and with your own eyes when you watch games.

Madden is realistic in its representation of this.

Let's focus on real issues, like depth in Franchise Mode!

Last edited by mavfan21; 12-10-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Sounds like a slot reciever to me. Also we don't know how all these ratings work as far as how the game manifests itself in the field. If the numbers were 4 speed and 7 acceleration , but the guy played the exact way he should, is that a "horrible rating" or a great way to tune the game?

I have always said it's overly simplistic to get wrapped up in the number itself...just look how it translates. If his speed was rated "cake" and the accel was rated "cookie" I wouldn't care if the player played realistically
Old 12-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Sounds like a slot reciever to me. Also we don't know how all these ratings work as far as how the game manifests itself in the field. If the numbers were 4 speed and 7 acceleration , but the guy played the exact way he should, is that a "horrible rating" or a great way to tune the game?

I have always said it's overly simplistic to get wrapped up in the number itself...just look how it translates. If his speed was rated "cake" and the accel was rated "cookie" I wouldn't care if the player played realistically
ok, fair enough with the Speed vs. Accel argument (even though no one actually provided an example of a real NFL player on the Madden roster with a hugh elite speed/Accel disparity).

but... show me one RB who is 99 speed and trucking. only Peterson comes close. that's one guy in the whole league who comes close.

show me a 90-speed linebacker with 67 Agility. i've seen too many CPU-gen players like this.

if it doesn't exist, it shouldn't exist. or... if it's not in the game, it shouldn't be in the game (to paraphrase EA's slogan.)
Old 12-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7

By the same token, there is no DT with 39 speed and 99 acceleration, at any position.

Players playing realistically is something I don't see in Madden regardless of ratings.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #15
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmetalbooze
exactly.

adam, point to one real NFL player in the game with 39 speed and 99 accel.
Any elite run blocking offensive lineman.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #16
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Acceleration is relative to speed.

Acceleration indicates the time it takes for you to get from dead stop to max speed. It doesn't make your max speed higher than someone who has a higher speed. That depends on the curve.

I'm not running the game, I'm going to use examples from my head to illustrate my point.

A guy who has 99 acceleration and 40 speed vs. a guy with 40 acceleration and 99 speed, running a 40 yard dash.

The first guy will reach his stop speed at, say, the 10 yard mark.

The second guy hits his top speed at the 20 yard mark.

However, at the 10 yard mark, the second guy is already moving faster than the first guy... because he has greater ground to cover, his speed increases faster.

It is actually extremely UNREALISTIC to insist that everyone's acceleration is close to their speed. There are plenty of guys with ridiculous speed that never get anywhere because they lack explosiveness or burst. That's what acceleration measures.

If you were to create a sound way to measure a player's acceleration, I'm willing to bet a defensive end would be the best in the league. Acceleration is primarily tied to hip and thigh strength, offset by body mass. Speed is dictated by fast-twitch muscle fibers.

Good example: Frank Gore vs. Bryant Westbrook. Gore is 215, Westbrook 205... close enough for comparison.

Gore is the stronger back, Westbrook the faster. Gore's elite ability comes from his elite acceleration into the hole. His has great hip strength, this allows him to reach speed faster. However, Westbrook's agility (fast twitch muscle fiber) allows him to reach a greater maximum rate.

The idea that acceleration must be close to speed is wrong. Acceleration and speed are entirely different issues. Having high acceleration does NOT allow one to move faster than their speed permits, even over a short distance. It only dictates the rate at which players reach the rate their speed allows.

If you don't think a guy with relatively poor top speed can be among the most explosive players in the NFL, go back and watch some tapes of Bryant Young and Warren Sapp... guys that make the most agile runningbacks look sluggish into the hole.

The greatest acceleration in a back of all time came from Barry Sanders... I don't think anybody would argue he was the fastest. Greatest acceleration from a receiver would be Rice, his ability to get back to stop speed out of a break was unmatched. Again, not nearly the fastest.

Acceleration is a product of strength vs. weight.
Speed is a product of agility vs. weight.
I now feel tons smart having read this post. Thanks broski! This explanation is perfect and well put.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »