Home

Madden NFL Designers Podcast #3

This is a discussion on Madden NFL Designers Podcast #3 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #33
43M
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL Designers Podcast #3

2 years ago they were saying the same things.

Not sure why people keep falling for it.

If it happens, it happens, but since the new team took over, all Ive really heard is "Next year..." in regards to improving key aspects of the game, especially franchise.

I have no problem with things taking time, but if they had stuck to their original promises, Madden 2012 would probably be great. These "in the future" talks, just gives them a window to crawl out of next year when they give us another annual roster update, they can say "These things take time".

Hopefully, they make me eat my crow, but I doubt it.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #34
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9
So no info on editing rosters within franchise?? Kind of frustrating since Ian started a thread and stated hell get back to us with some info, its been a couple weeks....errr, I think this past title update sounds great and kudos to them for putting it out, I was just hoping the "code" that he talked about would be given to us by now to unlock the editing ability with this title update.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #35
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Maybe you didn't hear that they have a smaller staff since Josh started.
Well you don't know what would happen "if" something happens until it does. So nobody could say with a certainty. But Roadman, if there was competition, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that EA would then see a need to expand its staff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
What Danimal said.
Great job, homie!! Looking forward to Pastapadre in the next podcast, since he is a harsh critic, especially this past year for Madden. Hoping this Madden year is a huge step in the right direction. Only thing bothering me now is that I don't have the new update, which of course is probably Microsoft's and Sony's faults.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #37
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Well you don't know what would happen "if" something happens until it does. So nobody could say with a certainty. But Roadman, if there was competition, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that EA would then see a need to expand its staff.
Absolutely, I've been a supporter of competition, but with the current recession and layoffs within Tiburon, and the exclusive license, it is a business risk to add staff.

Also, it's no certainty if you double your staff and throw in the whole kitchen sink(ie HC) in a one year cycle that you won't break parts of franchise or any other part of the game.

I think that's the crux. People want it all and they want it all in one cycle. I don't blame them, but that's not the way it's happening.

Last edited by roadman; 12-10-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Maybe I listened to a different podcast.

I heard that they are concentrating on franchise mode this year and into the future.

That they can't just put all of HC right into Madden for technology reasons ( i assume size being primary) but want to use systems from it.

I didn't hear there would be no enhancements to franchise mode this year, or it wouldn't be amazing or it would suck.

I suggest people listen to the pod cats instead of basing opinions off of other people's interpretations of it.
So because people are interpreting it different than you, they must not be listening to it and are simply basing opinions off of other interpretations? Mmmm, ok.

Here's what I heard that, when combined, paints the picture that I interpret:

"Time is the bane of our existence."

"...only so much time to put features in"

Placing HC into Madden is "not reality", "too big", "streamlined version..necessary"

Lots of "would like to" and "where I'd love to go" when using HC as the inspiration for Franchise.

"Investing in the future", "down the road".

Because HC took 2-3 years, he would like to use it as a base where some features make it in "this year", "next year", "Five years".

None of those things by themselves are unreasonable. Taken together, however, I see them very carefully attempting to set expectations. Nothing wrong with that, but the picture I'm seeing is very much "future" oriented, which as another poster said, is what we've been hearing for years. All comments taken together, what is the evidence that it will be "amazing" (your word) again?

If they add only one thing from HC, Franchise Mode will be improved, but that's not saying much given how barren it is now. If they only added ONE thing (as an example), I would consider it a fail. I don't expect HC in one year, but I would hope for something somewhat substantial in one year.

Given their history, focus on online, MUT, digital, etc., I don't hear much to get excited about which is why it's disappointing thus far IMO. I admire your faith in EA, but I submit: please don't admonish others for "not listening" if they don't have the same take-away as you from this podcast.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
I'm really getting sick of the " we need more time excuse." By the time Madden 12 hits the shelves, three years will have passed since Head Coach 09 was released; two years will have passed since Ian first uttered the mantra " Everything you see on Sundays."

Enough with the " they need more time " crap !
Totally agree and what really bothers me is that these time constraints they keep talking about are completely self imposed and yet they act like it's our fault for not understanding the process
Old 12-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #40
43M
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Absolutely, I've been a supporter of competition, but with the current recession and layoffs, and the exclusive license, it is a business risk to add staff.

Also, it's no certainty if you double your staff and throw in the whole kitchen sink(ie HC) in a one year cycle that you won't break parts of franchise or any other part of the game.

I think that's the crux. People want it all and they want it all in one cycle. I don't blame them, but that's not the way it's happening.

I think the main reason why people want all that stuff in one cycle is because of what little EA has done with its past 5 or 6 "cycles". I mean, how many times have we heard certain things would be addressed, but never have been even to this day? I heard the franchise spill 2 years ago, and its still pretty lame.

Bottom line, if the Madden team had used previous cycles better, people wouldnt be demanding such sudden changes to make up for everything else.

And as far as that "cant make drastic improvements in one cycle" BS, all I have to say is...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »