Home

Emualtion VS Innovation

This is a discussion on Emualtion VS Innovation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What Should Madden Devs Prioritze?
Emulation 20 95.24%
Innovation 0 0%
Neither, Madden should be a yearly roster update. 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7
Emualtion VS Innovation

I think this comparison does a good job of dividing people associated with Madden, devs and gamers alike. You either want Madden to emulate things that have already been done successfully with the NFL and past NFL video games or you want Madden to innovate something new. I think the major problem with Madden right now, is that the devs are in the innovation camp. I don't know if that is by EA executive mandate or some amount of dev arrogance but I believe innovation is the focus.

I believe Madden should be emulating areas of the game before even attempting to innovate those same areas. For example "Beyond Broadcast", I don't understand why they think they can go beyond broadcast when they have not done broadcast right, IMO. Another example is Protak, a great idea but they should've got Madden's original tackle animations right before trying to add a new tackling system, IMO.

Im not against adding something new as long as it's in an area that has either been emulated successfully first or innovating an uncharted area like with Ultimate Team and OTP. I am by no means the smartest person in the world but it doesn't make sense to try and reinvent the wheel for your car when we already have some many good tires to choose from.

Im just curious to see how many OSers side with where I think the Madden devs are, with innovation being prioritized over emulation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Emualtion VS Innovation

I really don't know where the developers, marketing or the suits are on this issue.

I've seen several times Ian mention What you See on Sunday, but as Ryan mentioned, they have a lot of muck to go through from terrible coding on NG in the beginning.

I mean, of course, they should try emulation and simulation before innovation.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

The games should reach a point where they can successfully emulate what happens on the field on Sundays and what happened in previous successful NFL games (NFL 2K5 and past Madden games that were superior in some areas) before they attempt to make any more "innovations", which seem to often result in gimmicks more than they result good ideas.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I really don't know where the developers, marketing or the suits are on this issue.

I've seen several times Ian mention What you See on Sunday, but as Ryan mentioned, they have a lot of muck to go through from terrible coding on NG in the beginning.

I mean, of course, they should try emulation and simulation before innovation.
I fully agree but for whatever reason, they don't. It seems like year after year, new things are being added while successful things from the past are removed or ignored. A really good, 2010 NFL video game, should be fairly simple at least when it comes to features. So much has already been done successfully in this genre, it's should almost just be copy and paste for the most part.

I believe the devs and EA suits are very intelligent but sometimes intelligence gets in the way of common sense. They don't need to innovate some great new football game in this cornered market. Just make a NFL game that pieces together what has already been done right and proven successful from the actual NFL and other past NFL video games. Copy presentation, passing mechanics, animations, user audio customization, franchise, preplay mechanics and playcalling, slap a Madden 12 label on that and prepare their acceptance speech for winning Game of the Year!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
I fully agree but for whatever reason, they don't. It seems like year after year, new things are being added while successful things from the past are removed or ignored. A really good, 2010 NFL video game, should be fairly simple at least when it comes to features. So much has already been done successfully in this genre, it's should almost just be copy and paste for the most part.

I believe the devs and EA suits are very intelligent but sometimes intelligence gets in the way of common sense. They don't need to innovate some great new football game in this cornered market. Just make a NFL game that pieces together what has already been done right and proven successful from the actual NFL and other past NFL video games. Copy presentation, passing mechanics, animations, user audio customization, franchise, preplay mechanics and playcalling, slap a Madden 12 label on that and prepare their acceptance speech for winning Game of the Year!
Let's put it this way. It's no secrete that marketing plays a good influence during the yearly cycle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

They should make it more sim and be like the actual sport their game suppose to be about. Currently over the past 4 or 5 Maddens they are making the game more and more easy for the casual person can pick up and play.

In Podcast # 2 one of them said they don't like NBA 2k11 because it is too sim and he don't know basketball that well so it is too hard for him. And that one shouldn't need a degree in basketball in order to play a basketball game.

Which to me is sad because this same guy works on both football games, Madden and NCAA series. He is one of the central people.

If you not going to make your sports game like the REAL THING, then you need to stop using the official license of that sport and give it to somebody else. I mean that is like me buying a prime piece of real estate in a hot location but then don't do anything with it and just let it sit there.

For some reason they are too concerned with trying to expand their base. Why ? They are the only people who can make an official licensed NFL and NCAA football game. They have no competition in the football market and haven't had any since 2004.

Got to get the basic done right 1st. Have scrambling QB's, properly ran zone coverages, properly ran offensive schemes, dirty uniforms, good cpu AI play all around.

I mean come on, the PS3 and xbox 360 is like a mini PC. There is no excuse this generation for not doing stuff. The power and technology is there.

EA's long time slogan ever since the early 90s was if it is in the game, it is in the game.

Sadly that isn't the case anymore. Because what I see on tv, I don't see in the game.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Let's put it this way. It's no secrete that marketing plays a good influence during the yearly cycle.
I understand that and I'm ok with marketing or whoever mandating new features like DLC, scouting coins, OTP, etc. However, I dont see how that applies to adding pro-tak before improving existing tackle animations/"bowling pin tackles", adding "beyond broadcast" before copying tv-style broadcast, adding a new pre-snap format before adding more pre-snap options, adding broken new pre-game/post game presentations before finishing the halftime show/Extra Point, adding a new run blocking system before improving OL/DL interaction animations, adding an incomplete online franchise before completing HC 09 transition to offline franchise, adding new dual stick runner controls before improving existing running animations/"ice skating", adding new ratings before tuning the impact of existing ratings, adding refs on the field before tuning penalty calls, adding a new kicking system before making weather affect kicks, adding a new lighting system before progressive lighting, adding a new commentator before improving commentary format/putting both in the recording booth together, adding Gameplan before playbook customization, adding trademark stadium music before music customization, adding.... I think you get my point, LOL.

All these are good additions but they "put the cart before the horse", IMO.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
I understand that and I'm ok with marketing or whoever mandating new features like DLC, scouting coins, OTP, etc. However, I dont see how that applies to adding pro-tak before improving existing tackle animations/"bowling pin tackles", adding "beyond broadcast" before copying tv-style broadcast, adding a new pre-snap format before adding more pre-snap options, adding broken new pre-game/post game presentations before finishing the halftime show/Extra Point, adding a new run blocking system before improving OL/DL interaction animations, adding an incomplete online franchise before completing HC 09 transition to offline franchise, adding new dual stick runner controls before improving existing running animations/"ice skating", adding new ratings before tuning the impact of existing ratings, adding refs on the field before tuning penalty calls, adding a new kicking system before making weather affect kicks, adding a new lighting system before progressive lighting, adding a new commentator before improving commentary format/putting both in the recording booth together, adding Gameplan before playbook customization, adding trademark stadium music before music customization, adding.... I think you get my point, LOL.

All these are good additions but they "put the cart before the horse", IMO.
To be honest, if they made the game more visceral...(much) louder stadiums, added dirt, grit, blood, loud hits, better field sounds, more energy/suspense, better crowds (signs, uniqueness, noises)...I could literally not think about everything you posted because I'd be IN the game. When your excitement level dwindles, all these problems emerge to your attention.

I could talk for days about the off-field stuff, but the on-field stuff I feel just needs a good old fashioned dose of pep.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »