Home

Future Features from a past game..

This is a discussion on Future Features from a past game.. within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Future Features from a past game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I popped in Madden 09 (ps2) yesterday and then got to thinking of this thread. It inspired me to make a video a 10 great features that the current games don't have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_9GMW-J-9A

These features along with the deeper franchise mode are the reason I believe whole heartedly that PS2 madden is still the better game.

To save people from having to watch the vid to see my list here it is...

#10 In game saves

#9 Individual press coverage

#8 Fantasy challange mode

#7 User controlled celebrations

#6 Madden Challenges/ Madden Cards

#5 Mini game upgrades

#4 Historic Teams

#3 Tournamnet mode

#2 Formation packages

#1 The Play Editor

I want to add to this list with being able do

- player substitutions by formation at the pause menu ( wish they would allow you to save this before you get into games like you can with depth chart) Being able to do this at the play screen menu is great, I just want to be able to do this before we get into a game and save it.

- Formation shift! It Quadruples your playbook. You might have a HB Counter in the Weak I-Form, but Formation shift into Strong I-Form Close and still have the same HB Counter called.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #26
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I listed my top 10 modes/features I want to see returned from the ps2 days. I know the play editor is connected to HC09, so that is in both games. Other than that, HC just wasn't a good enough game on the field to keep me intereseted tho I still own it. Just curious, what missing features would you most want to see returned from the HC game and where would you put them in priority next to the ones listed for the ps2 in this thread?
To begin with, I was responding to Husker as he stated something to the affect that they are basing their franchise off a game that was from 3 yrs ago. My thought is, so what? If those features from a game 3 yrs ago, are still relevant and on the cutting edge, who cares?

Just like your digging back to Madden 05 and the game play features you enjoyed and want to see a comeback.

I mentioned I liked the depth of HC, didn't say anything about game play. I thought HC was the HH of baseball.

If you want me to list the features I enjoy on HC, it's all geared towards the franchise mode and not game play, except for the play editor.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #27
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Having HC09's off-season and draft would be amazing. Couple that with player roles, working IR, restricted free agency, a weekly show (extra point is a great start but more gloss like game highlights, rumors, trades, injury updates), and working weather and yes dirty uniforms (makes it feel real), and Madden fans will rejoice. It is that simple actually for me. I am more than pleased with gameplay as 2011 is the best playing Madden ever IMO. I just want to feel like I am part of the league like some other great games in other sports do.

For hardcore Madden fans I think we all agree on the field this is the best we have gotten since 2007. Yes I would like individual adjustments back but it is not a game killer for me.
Baconís Marlins YR1
1980ís Strat-O-Matic KC Royals YR1
1993 Yankees Marlins YR1
2003 Yankees/Marlins Season Replay

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 12-16-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #28
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
To begin with, I was responding to Husker as he stated something to the affect that they are basing their franchise off a game that was from 3 yrs ago. My thought is, so what? If those features from a game 3 yrs ago, are still relevant and on the cutting edge, who cares?

Just like your digging back to Madden 05 and the game play features you enjoyed and want to see a comeback.

I mentioned I liked the depth of HC, didn't say anything about game play. I thought HC was the HH of baseball.

If you want me to list the features I enjoy on HC, it's all geared towards the franchise mode and not game play, except for the play editor.
By nature, a three year old feature is no longer cutting edge.

I think we would all love to see Head Coach features implemented in Madden, but if the goal is to replicate something done three years ago then Tiburon truly lacks innovation and direction.

They should be learning from the development three years ago and expanding upon that base. The only reason to copy Head Coach would be if they could port the features directly into Madden without much development (which they have made clear cannot be done).

This is precisely what a lot of people mean when they say that competition is killing the quality of football games. We should not be hoping for "new" features that already existed 3-7 years ago, but hoping that teams provide additional innovation on top of those old and proven ideas/features. The only reason people ask for the old features again is because they have no other frame of reference when it comes to NFL games. I'd like to make it perfectly clear that Head Coach 09 had its own flaws. If it didn't, then everyone would be playing it to this day. They need to improve that code base.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #29
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
By nature, a three year old feature is no longer cutting edge.

I think we would all love to see Head Coach features implemented in Madden, but if the goal is to replicate something done three years ago then Tiburon truly lacks innovation and direction.

They should be learning from the development three years ago and expanding upon that base. The only reason to copy Head Coach would be if they could port the features directly into Madden without much development (which they have made clear cannot be done).

This is precisely what a lot of people mean when they say that competition is killing the quality of football games. We should not be hoping for "new" features that already existed 3-7 years ago, but hoping that teams provide additional innovation on top of those old and proven ideas/features. The only reason people ask for the old features again is because they have no other frame of reference when it comes to NFL games. I'd like to make it perfectly clear that Head Coach 09 had its own flaws. If it didn't, then everyone would be playing it to this day. They need to improve that code base.
Maybe you missed my earlier post when I said if they enhance those features from HC09. Cutting edge was a terrible term to use, a better word or term I meant was depth. HC09 had depth in franchise mode and I'm still playing it.

It has it's flaws, sure, but overall, a pretty thorough depth franchise mode, which is lacking currently in Madden.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #30
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Maybe you missed my earlier post when I said if they enhance those features from HC09. Cutting edge was a terrible term to use, a better word or term I meant was depth. HC09 had depth in franchise mode and I'm still playing it.

It has it's flaws, sure, but overall, a pretty thorough depth franchise mode, which is lacking currently in Madden.
I guess my point is that if we're sitting here in 2013/14 and all we have to show for it is the franchise mode equivalent of what we had in Head Coach 09.... then that's a failure in my book.

This product (Madden on PS3/X360) has been in the same exact development studio for over a decade now and on the same platform for over 5 years. The advancement and progress should be easier and more agile at this point because they should have a solid base foundation to build code upon, but it seems from their podcasts and development chats/posts that they are wasting cycles recreating the wheel every 2-3 years.

There is no good reason for one studio to produce Madden, NCAA, and Head Coach and not have code interoperability between these products. It's poor design. It's poor planning. It's poor coding standards. Obviously features are not "plug-and-play", but I've never seen one company own multiple software products that perform the same (or similar) tasks which all use a different underlying platform. I've inferred from various development chats/podcasts/posts/blogs in the past that the underlying platform is essentially Madden's game engine. If that's the case, then explain the reason that it takes 2-3 years to import features from one game to another.

I can't profess to know "why" or "how" Tiburon can't implement these features from older games developed in their studios, but I can tell you as someone who has worked in the software development industry for years that the explanations/excuses being given are typical of smaller development companies without process-driven management.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #31
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

[quote=youALREADYknow;2041944058 If that's the case, then explain the reason that it takes 2-3 years to import features from one game to another.

[/QUOTE]

My hypothesis is marketing plays a huge part in the decision making process of what goes into the game. ie back of box features.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #32
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I guess my point is that if we're sitting here in 2013/14 and all we have to show for it is the franchise mode equivalent of what we had in Head Coach 09.... then that's a failure in my book.

It's poor coding standards.
The bolded part has been alluded to many, many times before. The original 360/ps3 code was wretched from what I understand...they just did a bad job out of the gate- until they give Ian and co. a new build, they seem pretty damn limited.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »