Home

Future Features from a past game..

This is a discussion on Future Features from a past game.. within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #33
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Future Features from a past game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
My hypothesis is marketing plays a huge part in the decision making process of what goes into the game. ie back of box features.
I agree. And like I said, I can't profess to know the "why" portion of it, but from a purely developmental perspective there's no good reason. I think that's the gripe many gamers have right now.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #34
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
The bolded part has been alluded to many, many times before. The original 360/ps3 code was wretched from what I understand...they just did a bad job out of the gate- until they give Ian and co. a new build, they seem pretty damn limited.
I know we'll never hear the true reasons because no company wants to expose their internal problems to the public, but these issues are very interesting to me as someone in the software industry.

I'm also curious as to what the Tiburon team considers the Madden "engine" and what part of it truly is holding the game back. Theoretically, you should be able to work on the back-end features without substantial changes to the gameplay engine. You don't need a 3D engine to change a team's philosophy, change playcalling tendencies, modify the NFL Draft tendencies, modify how NCAA draft classes are generated and imported, etc. Those are all features which occur in text-based sports games today and could all be "modded" into a game if this were the PC-based gaming world.

Most of the Head Coach features that people want have little to nothing to do with 3D gaming and a lot to do with what essentially amounts to role-playing and depth.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #35
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I know we'll never hear the true reasons because no company wants to expose their internal problems to the public, but these issues are very interesting to me as someone in the software industry.

I'm also curious as to what the Tiburon team considers the Madden "engine" and what part of it truly is holding the game back. Theoretically, you should be able to work on the back-end features without substantial changes to the gameplay engine. You don't need a 3D engine to change a team's philosophy, change playcalling tendencies, modify the NFL Draft tendencies, modify how NCAA draft classes are generated and imported, etc. Those are all features which occur in text-based sports games today and could all be "modded" into a game if this were the PC-based gaming world.

Most of the Head Coach features that people want have little to nothing to do with 3D gaming and a lot to do with what essentially amounts to role-playing and depth.
Right, and I'm not a software guy. But it may be more the style it was written in that makes it unstable? I'm not sure , at all. I'd love these features too, but think of the amount of pride a dev team has to swallow to say "we just can't do it"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #36
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Right, and I'm not a software guy. But it may be more the style it was written in that makes it unstable? I'm not sure , at all. I'd love these features too, but think of the amount of pride a dev team has to swallow to say "we just can't do it"
Truth. That's what I think some people need to realize when they go on a bashing rampage. Criticism is one thing, but bashing someone's work is a different story. This is likely the pinnacle of most of those guy's careers so I'm assuming there are some major underlying issues for them to admit publicly that it can't be done.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #37
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
So, you aren't interested in any features from HC making it into Madden. Don't you think they would try to enhance some of those features from HC?

Wow. Ok, to each their own.

I loved how deep that game was and would welcome the features into Madden.
You missed my point there completely. My point was they should have had those features from head coach implemented into Madden a long time ago. I love Head Coach. That game has been out a long time ago and they still haven't pulled anything from that game into Madden, it's a shame.

Quote:
I guess my point is that if we're sitting here in 2013/14 and all we have to show for it is the franchise mode equivalent of what we had in Head Coach 09.... then that's a failure in my book.
Quote:
This is precisely what a lot of people mean when they say that competition is killing the quality of football games. We should not be hoping for "new" features that already existed 3-7 years ago, but hoping that teams provide additional innovation on top of those old and proven ideas/features. The only reason people ask for the old features again is because they have no other frame of reference when it comes to NFL games.
Thank you...that hits the nail on the head and sums up my thoughts completely.

Last edited by huskerwr38; 12-16-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #38
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
You missed my point there completely. My point was they should have had those features from head coach implemented into Madden a long time ago. I love Head Coach. That game has been out a long time ago and they still haven't pulled anything from that game into Madden, it's a shame.

Ok, I understand and agree, we can only hope the next editions add features from HC that we all enjoyed.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #39
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
To begin with, I was responding to Husker as he stated something to the affect that they are basing their franchise off a game that was from 3 yrs ago. My thought is, so what? If those features from a game 3 yrs ago, are still relevant and on the cutting edge, who cares?

Just like your digging back to Madden 05 and the game play features you enjoyed and want to see a comeback.

I mentioned I liked the depth of HC, didn't say anything about game play. I thought HC was the HH of baseball.

If you want me to list the features I enjoy on HC, it's all geared towards the franchise mode and not game play, except for the play editor.

Sorry, when I posted I should have said my question was off the original topic a bit. My post was kind of meant to be a question to anyone in general so I should have bolded this part:

"I loved how deep that game was and would welcome the features into Madden"

I was just asking what features of that HC did you love? Was the draft more interesting? Was there a full practice squad? Which of these are the most important to you and would you have any of my features from the ps2 Madden on your list at all?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #40
MVP

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

I would love to see in season progression and position battles back in the game!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »