Home

Madden 11 closes as #1 sports game in November

This is a discussion on Madden 11 closes as #1 sports game in November within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #17
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden 11 closes as #1 sports game in November

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Why is anyone surprise Madden is the #1 selling sports game in November?
Because 2k11 is such a strong game.

Strong good games sell.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

Strong good games sell.
Cmon, some are comparing apples to turnips. NBA will never sell as much as an exclusive NFL license game. The title of this thread is pure spin. How many sports game came out in the last 4 months. The surprise would be Madden is the #1 game in November or Madden 11 outsell Black Ops in November but sport games is a dying breed on consoles.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:

Strong good games sell.
The NFL dwarfs the NBA (and pretty much every other sport) in terms of popularity though. Madden is supposed to dominate in sales. Even in years where the game wasn't very good while other sports games were far better, I'd say it easily outpaced other games in sales. Being the only game with the NFL shield is pretty much an open cash register, regardless of the game's quality. It was an EA rep that said [initially after exclusivity was announced] they felt Madden's "competition" to be the big titles like CoD or Halo - imo it's an indictment on the title itself that it hasn't established a more dominant sales position (no surprise it's Pastapadre touting this story). Hell, at one point Madden was considered a necessary launch title for a console.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

Last edited by spankdatazz22; 12-13-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #20
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
The NFL dwarfs the NBA (and pretty much every other sport) in terms of popularity though. Madden is supposed to dominate in sales. Even in years where the game wasn't very good while other sports games were far better, I'd say it easily outpaced other games in sales. Being the only game with the NFL shield is pretty much an open cash register, regardless of the game's quality. It was an EA rep that said [initially after exclusivity was announced] they felt Madden's "competition" to be the big titles like CoD or Halo - imo it's an indictment on the title itself that it hasn't established a more dominant sales position (no surprise it's Pastapadre touting this story). Hell, at one point Madden was considered a necessary launch title for a console.
Not much I don't disagree with here, except for the last part.

Also, I'm going by the threads where people are jumping for joy that Madden is losing in sales. There are posters that will say good to great games sell, mediocre games don't. So, I thought I would throw that same line out in a positive sales thread and the responses were what I thought.

The part where I disagree is Pasta has taken a stance against Madden this year. So much so that the next podcast they are trying to get Pasta on the show and find out what his issues are.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6
My kids watch iCarly. There is an episode where the iCarly gang gets into a fake fight with Fred. Fred started it to attract people to both sites. Pasta has been anti-madden this year, after long being criticized for being pro-madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
The part where I disagree is Pasta has taken a stance against Madden this year. So much so that the next podcast they are trying to get Pasta on the show and find out what his issues are.
Thx for pointing that out; I'm not a reader of his and wasn't aware he was being more balanced in his coverage of the game. It's good he's no longer just towing the company line, although I still don't have much of a favorable view of him for doing a disservice to his readers for so long (imo)

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 17

It's the number 1 sports game in November, against one other realistic competitor? Which happens to be of a less popular sport? Only makes sense. It's the only game out there with the name NFL on it. It reminds me of when a certain genre movie comes out, doesn't do so well, isn't very good, so they advertise its success as "The number 1 comedy movie in America!" when it was released as the only one that weekend.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »