Home

Overhauling Defense: Pre-Snap Looks

This is a discussion on Overhauling Defense: Pre-Snap Looks within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Overhauling Defense: Pre-Snap Looks

There has been a lot of talk about defense, and it definitely needs to be upgraded for Madden 12. I'll let the smart football people talk about gap control and run fits and the important mechanics of defensive football.

I want the option to determine my pre-snap look. This would bring a ton of variety to the defensive side of ball in both user games and games against the CPU (instead of seeing the safeties standing right next to the CBs showing the Double CB Blitz).

So, I'd like to see one extra option after picking plays: choose the "look." If I choose 4-3 Cover 2, I then get to decide if I'm going to disguise it, or show a generic look. My options can include:

--2 High Safeties
--1 High Safety (20 yds. deep)
--8 in the box
--Show "A" Gap Blitz
--Show "B" Gap Blitz

--Show "C" Gap Blitz
--Show Safety Blitz
--Show Man
--Show Overload Blitz (Jets, Ravens)
There are a number of options that could be included.

This would make for great variety when playing CPU teams as long as team tendencies are done properly.

--Teams like the Eagles, Rams, Giants, Bears, Bengals and more like to show "A" Gap blitz a lot. Sometimes the LBs blitz, sometimes one drops back, sometimes it's Cover 2.

--Teams like the Colts don't do a whole lot of disguising.

--The Saints use one really deep FS for the most part with their SS lurking in and around the box

--Then you have the Jets or Steelers who like to crowd the line and show pressure almost every play, even if they don't send extra people.

All about creativity and make defense less stale, whether you are playing defense or on offense trying to figure out what the defense is doing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: Overhauling Defense: Pre-Snap Looks

What's important about this is that it'd take away some of the automatic pre-snap looks in-game. Right now, unless you show blitz, your opponent can figure out if you're in a cover 2, base 3, or 4 almost every time. Not forcing your opponent to read the play post-snap is a travesty IMO. Show blitz should give a multitude of looks, based on user settings and playcall.

Basically, your strategy shouldn't be foiled because your opponent knows the playcall on D even though you try to hide it. It's really hard to be deceptive at the moment.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 11-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I'd like enough time to call these pre-snap reads as well.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'd like enough time to call these pre-snap reads as well.
Well hopefully with my idea this would be done at the playcall screen (in the huddle) rather than at the line.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

All of the threads regarding defense recently have been excellent. I would assume that dev's at EA are taking note.
I have found that there is time for multiple pre snap adjustments in M10 and M11 against CPU Peyton Manning and to a lesser extent Tom Brady and Drew Brees as they seem to be programmed to make more pre snap adjustments as well.
Against all others A.I. usually just lines up in whatever formation and snaps the ball, If I get 3 or 4 seconds I can sometimes move a few guys but sometimes I get stuck controlling the wrong player instead of the MLB which I prefer most of the time.
Time to make pre snap adjustments and a "Choose A Look" option would huge improvements along with more realistic o and d line interaction/pocket forming and gap/blocking assignments.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Here are some of the Saints' Single High Safety Looks. Notice how deep they play Sharper, and how it opens up for a variety of pressure looks from Gregg Williams' defense.

Also a ton of views at this link:

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/s...egg%20Williams

Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
MVP

custom plays and custom playbooks are also badly needed IMO

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

Honestly, nothing was wrong with the old system...another situation in which something was changed for the sake of making a change. Adjustments should be made at the line, looking at the Colts VS Chargers, the MLB called out the audibles based on the call Manning was doing, and the safety was calling out the coverages. Other than the ability to shade, properly use Man Align and a few minor additions like defensive line stunts, I would simply return to the old presnap menu with improvements.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »