Home

Player to be selected

This is a discussion on Player to be selected within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
Rookie

GKEnialb's Arena

OVR: 5
Player to be selected

Don't you hate it when you hit the O button to make a defensive play and realize too late that the CPU selected a different defender than you expected and it results in a huge play for the offense? What do you guys think about putting a light colored circle around the player that WOULD be selected when you pushed the O so that you knew which player you'll be grabbing control of? I'm a little worried that it would be distracting, as it would be jumping a lot, but I get so frustrated when I think I'm about to make a play and end up sending the new defender in the opposite direction than I want because I'm looking at the wrong one...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Player to be selected

hmmmm, not a bad idea because I sometimes have this problem too. however, I also dislike adding any graphics or icons onto the screen.

I'd rather the switching logic go between the closest three players in a cycle instead of back and forth between just the two closest guys.

When the opposing QB is rolling wide to scramble, I can't select the CB in the flats until it's too late because my LBs and DEs facing the wrong way are still technically "closer" to the QB, even if totally out of position to make a play.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 12-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKEnialb
Don't you hate it when you hit the O button to make a defensive play and realize too late that the CPU selected a different defender than you expected and it results in a huge play for the offense? What do you guys think about putting a light colored circle around the player that WOULD be selected when you pushed the O so that you knew which player you'll be grabbing control of? I'm a little worried that it would be distracting, as it would be jumping a lot, but I get so frustrated when I think I'm about to make a play and end up sending the new defender in the opposite direction than I want because I'm looking at the wrong one...
I don't think making switching players slower will solve your issue, but rather exacerbate it instead. Any problem this fixes would only be replaced by a similar issue from the new interface as players may still be focused on one player when controlling another...

I haven't had this problem in a long time, but I remember when I was. I adjusted a few things in my game and haven't had the issue since. Maybe you'll have some success with some of these tips (assuming you're on PS3):

1) Switch by holding the O and moving the stick.

The analog controller holding O allows you to move to any player quickly, but requires you to master fine movement of the stick. It will be difficult to move the cursor to the player you want at first.

2) Switch by holding the O or X

When using the analog method to switch players, don't forget the old method still works. O switches one direction, while the X switches in reverse. If you pass the guy you want, just switch using the appropriate button.

3) Learn the Switch order

If you're using the method in #2, you'll need to be good at switching to the right guy. Each time you press O the cursor will begin on the D-Lineman on the left and cycle to the D-lineman on the right. It then moves to the linebacker on the left and cycles to the right. This is repeated for defensive backs and reversed for the X button. Remember, it's easy to pass players you want so you need to learn to use these buttons effectively...

4) Turn Player Lock "On"

In settings, turning player lock ON sets the cursor on the player you weere controlling at the beginning of the previous play. If you use the same player often, this makes switching pre-play less of an issue.

5) Learn all the positions

In those instances when you're caught on a guy you didn't want to control, having an understanding of your defensive call and knowledge of how to play each position is key. Resist the urge to move defenders immediately at the snap...

6) Adjust your play calls

Setting up defenses takes time. If you setup elaborate coverage disguises before switching to your desired defender, it's easy to get caught on the wrong guy. By calling plays that use assignments that are closest to the desired final defense you want to call reduces the time required to setup and select the proper defender.

Mind you, many of these adjustments will require you to put in time learning new things... But they work - especially when used in conjunction.

Hope this helps.

Later
Old 12-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Banned

That's assuming it was pre-snap...

Post-snap plays should have a toggle button to switch to the nearest and deepest defenders with the default being the CPU selected 'best player.'

Later
Old 12-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Not like it matters now but last gen had better switch player logic but TNT is right that with practice and time it'll become second nature. I was always getting beat deep because of this always taking over the corner when I wanted the deep safety to come up and my cb would come up instead. Also hold the x button on ps3 for a second or two so that defensive assist will take over in case you switch to the wrong defender. Then cycle to the next.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_24
Also hold the x button on ps3 for a second or two so that defensive assist will take over in case you switch to the wrong defender. Then cycle to the next.
Good one... I might start using this one myself.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »