Home

Comeback AI is alive and well

This is a discussion on Comeback AI is alive and well within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2003, 03:32 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Comeback AI is alive and well

Using the example of the NY/Sf game last year is completely irrelevant to this discussion. Of course there will be comebacks in real life and in computer sims...The problem with this game is that it is clear that it makes it much easier for teams to comeback in order to provide for more exciting gameplay. The frequency of odd fumbles, poor def. AI etc. clearly increases, it is undeniable. For me, this comeback AI component of the game is inexcusable. I love exciting comebacks and I expect them from time to time, but I hate that the game changes in such substantial ways once one team get way ahead. At least it should be something you can toggle on or off. Come on EA!!
Old 08-13-2003, 05:03 PM   #18
Rookie

kirkhart's Arena

OVR: 2

how can the SF/NY game be irrelevant to this discussion? That game was a perfect example of how "unrealistic" comebacks do happen in real life. If you watched the game, you saw that Steve Young was on fire in the second half (after a quiet first half), the Giant's D couldn't stop anything, and the Giants muffed the last second kick with an "odd fumble"...that sounds just like a "comeback AI" game to me. I must say that the comeback AI is more myth than truth. Like other people have pointed out, comebacks can result from lackadaisical playcalling and tired players. Some people get complacent and lazy with their playcalling and I do think the computer "learns" tendencies to a degree. Plus, I think there is a momentum factor in the game. Just like in real life, a big play can shift the momentum of the game. Face it, comebacks happen in real life, somewhat frequently. How about the Skins blowing huge leads in the 4th quarter when playing Dallas (happened in 1983, 1999). How about the Jets-Dolphins MNF game? (30-7 going into the 4th). The Giants blew a late lead against the Titans last year and also blew a 9 point lead with 2 minutes left against the Vikings in the 1997 playoffs. What about the Bills-Oilers game (greatest comeback ever). If teams didn't comeback, why bother playing the 4th quarter if you are up by 14 or more? Players and teams get on hot streaks and they can go cold just as easily. You're going to lose some games in this fashion and it's not going to seem fair, but to me, it's very realistic.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:53 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 17

One word -

John Elway w/ the Broncos.

How many times did he father or atleast participate in a 4th quater comeback.

Remember the Bronco game v Houston in 90 I beleive on two consecutive 4th downs he made a 1st down.

But this is a video game. I actually think it's gamers always winning. I mean how come know one complaigns when they always comeback??????

On the flip side NCAA and Madden always seem to throw the previous 3 quarters of play out the window and in one too many game a hot RB or QB will be shut down and make critical mistkaes and the "right" time.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:57 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 14

Quote:

JRod said:
One word -

1. That's more than one word.

2. Don't remind me of any of those.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:40 PM   #21
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

These replies are actually pretty funny. The CPU has been making outlandish plays in late-game situations for years. The one guy's 35 point example may be over-exxagerated, but late in a close game, the cpu makes spectacular catches, you are more prone to fumble, you tend to drop key passes and your run blocking goes bye-bye.

Now realistically, this creates more excitement at the end of tight games, and it requires you to focus more and play absolutly flawless ball to keep the victory, so I can pretty much deal with it, but PLEASE don't come on this board and try to deny it exists...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2003, 07:45 PM   #22
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

Quote:

CheckMate said:
Quote:

JRod said:
One word -

1. That's more than one word.

2. Don't remind me of any of those.

LOL - even though I know that if I wasn't a Bronco fan I'd probably hate him in the same way I hate Jordan - Respect the talent but Sheesh.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:55 PM   #23
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:

kirkhart said:
If you watched the game, you saw that Steve Young was on fire in the second half (after a quiet first half), the Giant's D couldn't stop anything,

Steve Young?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:05 PM   #24
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Respondendo a:

kirkhart said:
how can the SF/NY game be irrelevant to this discussion? If you watched the game, you saw that Steve Young was on fire in the second half

comebacks happen in real life, somewhat frequently. How about the Skins blowing huge leads in the 4th quarter when playing Dallas (happened in 1983, 1999).

Steve Young???

Frequency is the key. You had to go back 20 years to come up with examples. The thing that makes comebacks so great is their infrequency, in Madden you can count on them.

And to the guy who asked if anyone ever complained about benefiting from the comeback A.I., then you can count me as one. I was losing 27-3 in the 4th. It wasn't the most fun game I had ever played, but I had played poorly, and it was realistic. In the last couple minutes I returned a KO AND a punt return easily for TD's. Recovered an onside kick, cashed in on a couple 2 pt. conversions and had an easy 80 yard drive after struggling to move the ball for 3 1/2 quarters. It should have been exciting, but it felt cheesy because I knew the CPU was giving it to me. This was on the 2003 version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »