Home

Make the game cheaper, make online and franchise DLC!

This is a discussion on Make the game cheaper, make online and franchise DLC! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Make the game cheaper, make online and franchise DLC!

Tell me this is not he greatest idea ever!

Considering that i know it must cost millions to package up head coach into a Madden collectors edition or something like that, and considering that EA states that their DLC is proving very lucrative, why not go one step further.

Make madden 2013 maybe (surely this may need a year or 2) an simple game with only a season mode option and play now capabilities. Charge 30-35 bucks for it. Make it so the online modes and all their challenges/franchise mode cost 20 more bucks to obtain online, and then of course package it up for Christmas like so many other games.

What makes this good for us is that we get to have EA split time more effectively and not worry as much about disc space etc since they arent using as much. We get extended production cycles in a way, and we get to pay for what we want. I for one never play online so i would be saving a good 10 bucks, but if i did want both i would be paying an extra 10 which helps EA up their profits, something that they surely are interested in.

Another great thing is that EA would get screwed less on used game sales, they could code the purchase so that you have to at least pay for online stuff off of a used game.(gaming industry loses millions on used games)

I know for some the prospect of spending more money sounds crazy, but for me at least its not a problem. Im just incredibly tired of the weak franchise mode, and the recent podcast didnt fill me with much hope. And the excuse i kept hearing is disc space and time cycle. Well this really solves both those issues, AND you get more more money. WIN WIN right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Make the game cheaper, make online and franchise DLC!

This would never happen. Here's why- they can charge $60 now for the whole thing instead of selling more units at a cheaper price. I wouldn't pay 40 bucks to play a season- gaming has gone past that. Plus they still have to invest time in the online and franchise portions, how that time is allocated is usually done via some per-unit allocation. If they sold less franchise, or less online those modes would simply get worse. Also this really REALLY hoses the gamer who doesn't have their 360 online. Not all consoles are connected online.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Terrible idea. EA will make money if they make a better product. They can go to a two disk format with part of the game downloaded to the hard drive if space were an issue. As to the development cycle. The game is basically the same each year. Frankly, EAs financial problems with Madden are based on the fact that the game had more content and was deeper in franchsise mode 5 or 6 years ago.

Every time I hear about what EA can't do, I go back to playing CHOOPS 2k8 or MLB the Show or Madden on the PC to remind myself what EA is not doing right.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 5

Besides, I think if they go that route, they will still charge $60, plus you'll then need to purchase the DLC. Of course this is all just speculation.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16
Idea fail. Sorry man but that would be a poor business move. You have to stop thinking like a video gamer and start thinking about profit dollars. You will never make money offering something cheaper and then give them a choice to buy DLC. Most consumers won't and EA would lose millions. You sell at the maximum and possibly lower cost of DLC which is pretty cheap at the moment. EA are geniuses in the video game industry.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »