Home

Current Madden ratings mean nothing

This is a discussion on Current Madden ratings mean nothing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #153
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Current Madden ratings mean nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree with your last part about minimum standards, but I believe your first part is subjective.

We all know that some ratings work, others don't. I just don't understand the he said, she said moments. What is their left to prove and toot the horn about?

Personally, I don't have the time to "go to the lab" and prove the theories one way or the other. I'll let the utube generation spend their time with it. And personally, I see both sides and I really don't feel there is much else to debate or debunk other peoples findings or theories.

Instead of the incessant debating, offer positive suggestions like Spliff did.

Offering positive suggestions is definitely a good thing, but before you get to that point, you have to actually think that there is something wrong that needs rectifying. Why would you offer suggestions to fix something that you don't believe is broken?

I understand not wanting debating, but there can be no positive suggestions until the hurdle of believing that there is a problem has been jumped.

Based on comments, I would say that hurdle is looking pretty high lol.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #154
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Offering positive suggestions is definitely a good thing, but before you get to that point, you have to actually think that there is something wrong that needs rectifying. Why would you offer suggestions to fix something that you don't believe is broken?

I understand not wanting debating, but there can be no positive suggestions until the hurdle of believing that there is a problem has been jumped.

Based on comments, I would say that hurdle is looking pretty high lol.
I know it's lunchtime in your area LT, but where did I say there wasn't an issue? The people that feel there is something wrong, offer positive suggestions to fix what's broken.

The people that feel there is nothing wrong should sit back and listen to the positive suggestions. There mantra must be, if it ain't broke, why fix it, right? So, I don't think there would be positive suggestions coming from that side.

Spliff offered a positive suggestion without waiting for the next he said, she said. Why wait?

That's all I'm saying. I don't think either side has anything else to prove, do you?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #155
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
I know it's lunchtime in your area LT, but where did I say there wasn't an issue? The people that feel there is something wrong, offer positive suggestions to fix what's broken.

The people that feel there is nothing wrong should sit back and listen to the positive suggestions. There mantra must be, if it ain't broke, why fix it, right? So, I don't think there would be positive suggestions coming from that side.

Spliff offered a positive suggestion without waiting for the next he said, she said. Why wait?

That's all I'm saying. I don't think either side has anything else to prove, do you?

Ok. Someone's in a snippy mood and I won't take the bait on that.

I'm not invested in either side of this conversation. I'll just say, good luck with that bolded part.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #156
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:

I'm not invested in either side of this conversation. I'll just say, good luck with that bolded part.
Nah, I'm not in a snippy mood at all. It's just another day.

I did say they should sit back and listen, I can't control what others write on a message board, unfortunately.

I'm not invested in either side of the conversation, either.(did I just say either twice?)

I just feel it's a complicated discussion because there are no 0 ratings. At the end of the day, we don't know EA's magic formula to make ratings work. Beyond that, I just feel it's guess work at the most.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #157
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Maybe it's because Aaron Rodgers didn't make the Pro Bowl lol. Nah seriously I understand what Roadman's saying. We've been "discussing" whether ratings perform properly for years. No need to post a video of it in every iteration of Madden that comes out. On the other hand, it IS in every iteration that comes out so it's a problem with every iteration of Madden so I can see why some would want to post a video on it.

One thing to think about though is what does each rating actually do? Does route running work in conjunction with man/zone cover or is solely based on the route running rating. Until these type of things are told to us by the devs we don't know whether the ratings are actually working like the devs intended or not. I understand both sides of the "discussion" and it's pretty much a stalemate IMO.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #158
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah
Here, I did it myself.

Backup QB's David Carr, Josh Johnson, Caleb Hanie, John Parker Wilson, and Levi Brown at offensive line for the CPU 49ers (with CPU pass protection slider set at 0 even) versus the HUMAN New York Giants defense. Difficulty is at All-Madden.

The 49ers play is Niners Smash from the Snugs Flip formation in the 49ers playbook. The three called Giants plays are all from the 4-3 Normal formation (first Cover 1 [4-man d-line blitz], then Engage Eight [all-out blitz], and finally, Free Fire [6-man blitz])

Several times each play was run. Note the results.

The defense gets to the QB consistently (although he is always able to pass downfield) with an 8-man rush but that makes sense with only 5 O-linemen. With 4 or 6 man blitzes, however, you can see how well the QBs turned O-linemen do.

Note not a single sack.

I hate to say it but Versuz is right, unfortunately.

You completely missed PGaithers point.

All Madden isnt, nor was it ever intended to be, a difficulty level that produces fair outcomes.

We've known this for 20 years, yet people seem to insist that this is some kind of revelation, or sinister dealings by EA.

This is what happens in EVERY video game.

Go play NBA Live 10 on Superstar or NBA2k11 on Hall of Fame difficulty, and look at the nonsense that scrub CPU players are able to pull off.

Play MLB 10 the show on legend, and watch some punch and judy middle infielder play like Rogers Hornsby.

Go and play APF2k8 or NFL2K5 on the legend difficulty levels and the same thing happens.

To single out EA and All Madden difficulty is strictly agenda driven and childish..which is why I have a 'problem' with Versuz and his ilk.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #159
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7

The problem with ratings is not only on All-Madden. I've observed ratings issues at All-Pro level including sliders that gear to that level, and whether speed threshold is at zero of fifty.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #160
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Nah, I'm not in a snippy mood at all. It's just another day.

I did say they should sit back and listen, I can't control what others write on a message board, unfortunately.

I'm not invested in either side of the conversation, either.(did I just say either twice?)

I just feel it's a complicated discussion because there are no 0 ratings. At the end of the day, we don't know EA's magic formula to make ratings work. Beyond that, I just feel it's guess work at the most.
IMO, that's a big problem itself. I don't think EA's ratings formula should be some "secret formula" they hide. It should be front center and clearly explained so people that like to customize their Madden experience can better do so. Me personally, what little I think I understand about how EA makes their ratings work, I don't agree with. Any rating system that doesn't have an easily quantifiable attribute like Speed scaled realistically and position universal is flawed at its' core, IMO. However, the least EA should do is explain their entire ratings and slider philosophy completely, in a coherent way. This would allow for there to be a constructive conversation of what we think is done right and what could possibly be done better.

Instead, they seem to want to keep ratings and sliders somewhat ambiguous and not open the door for accurate scrutiny. So what we are left with is speculative discussion based on what we think we have figured out and that's how it will be until EA exposes the Madden "chamber of secrets" to us.

That said, even though we have limited insight about EA's process, most posts on this subject including the "negative" ones, are made in hopes of a positive result. We are all stuck on this exclusive island together and if all we got is coconuts, at least accept different ideas on how to cook them. LOL

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »