Home

How do you defend against Empty Trips TE

This is a discussion on How do you defend against Empty Trips TE within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
How do you defend against Empty Trips TE

From the Dallas playbook i have a hard time stopping the Empty Trips TE (shotgun formation) usually the play is the Smash play. whats a good formation to defend this play. the slant slot L1 receiver is deadly. plus the TE can be open....any suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: How do you defend against Empty Trips TE

Try using a dime or dollar defense, cover 1 or cover 1 press, then use bump coverage, then strat pad the defensive line to pass rush.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun613
Try using a dime or dollar defense, cover 1 or cover 1 press, then use bump coverage, then strat pad the defensive line to pass rush.
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't D-line pass rush?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't D-line pass rush?
It's a defensive line audible. In NCAA it's a defensive key that makes the line pin their ears back and jump the snap, really getting after the QB. Theoretically, I thought it was the same in Madden, but it looks like the old "crash out" under a different name where the ends sprint outward, taking themselves out of the play, but forming a very nice pocket for the QB to step up in.

I can't make heads of tails of it. Has anyone else had a different experience with "pass"?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

And to answer the OP's question, you've got the right observation. Usually, the CPU is going to try to hit you with something in the middle and quick, whether it be a drag, or a stop route.

You have to decide what you're willing to give up and whether you want to bring pressure or rush 4. I hate the TE jerk route from that formation so I usually go cover 1 out of the dime so that I can play as the MLB and help bracket him as he's singled up on a safety.

A few good d's to change up are

Dime
SS Zone Blitz
Strong Roll 3 if the CPU is throwing to the flats out of that formation
Fox Fire zone if they are running a lot of drags out of it.

Dollar
Strike Spy 2 - a gamble but the flats are covered and the 2 backers are in cover 2
SS zone blitz - if he's running a drag, there is a lot of junk to get through while pressure is bearing down. Weak against the flat stuff, though

AND if you really want to gamble and try to get instant pressure then OVER STORM BRAVE out of Nickel. But you're got to get there quick. And make sure to use your "spotlights" if you get the feeling they are going to a certain guy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 3

does spotlight work? if so how is it used?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Squeeze the right trigger then press the receiver's icon you want to spotlight.

In my experience, it works best in zone, sometimes too well. I've seen triple coverage before, leaving a wide open receiver a few yards away. But think I read a post in the impressions thread that it's more effective after the patch.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
It's a defensive line audible. In NCAA it's a defensive key that makes the line pin their ears back and jump the snap, really getting after the QB. Theoretically, I thought it was the same in Madden, but it looks like the old "crash out" under a different name where the ends sprint outward, taking themselves out of the play, but forming a very nice pocket for the QB to step up in.

I can't make heads of tails of it. Has anyone else had a different experience with "pass"?
It's worked pretty good for me using the theory that many Madden players are used to rolling out of the pocket to avoid pressure. The "pass" d-line audible plays contain so if anyone tries to roll out, they roll into pressure. If they roll back deeper to avoid that, it really screws up the routes and the timing, leading to a greater percentage of the play winding up in the defense's favor. I have yet to see or play someone who actually steps up in the pocket, so I haven't been burned up the middle yet as far as that's concerned.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »