Home

Offense and defense tips and questions...

This is a discussion on Offense and defense tips and questions... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
Offense and defense tips and questions...

Hey I'm currently using the arizona playbook, but i was wondering what is the best playbook to use in most people's opinion. I'm considering trying dallas playbook.

Also I swear my defense just sucks. i can't get enough pressure and I struggle to stop people from scoring. I've been using baltimores defense...but I'm considering chargers or 49ers. How can I get good pressure and not have to do 50 pre hike maneuvers. i'm cool with doing 2-3...but once you have to do more than that pre snap it feels like work and not that i'm playing a game. is there a good website with a lot of tips and tricks?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Offense and defense tips and questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthieOne
Hey I'm currently using the arizona playbook, but i was wondering what is the best playbook to use in most people's opinion. I'm considering trying dallas playbook.

Also I swear my defense just sucks. i can't get enough pressure and I struggle to stop people from scoring. I've been using baltimores defense...but I'm considering chargers or 49ers. How can I get good pressure and not have to do 50 pre hike maneuvers. i'm cool with doing 2-3...but once you have to do more than that pre snap it feels like work and not that i'm playing a game. is there a good website with a lot of tips and tricks?
There are lots of websites that sell tips, but few that prepare you to be able to make better decisions quickly. Most of them teach you enough to keep you coming back, instead of preparing you for the reality of a sustained fluid strategic effort.

I've learned alot in my 6000+ online games about what it takes to fully enjoy Madden. Being able to compete is paramount. But being competitive isn't an overnight thing. There are no shortcuts to excellence. It takes some effort, but here are some of the things that helped me the most:

1) Be honest to yourself. When I started playing online I didn't know anything about pass protection. Nano blitzes were killing me. Had I not been honest about what I didn't know, I would not have sought an solution to my issues. But where to look?

2) Be careful where you get advice. I make it a habit to get my Madden advice from real NFL coaches like Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, and Don Coryell. Football history has the key to beating every strategy players use. But how is this helpful?

3) Apply what you learn. Knowledge is useless without application. Often people post reasons why Madden isn't like real football instead of applying what they know about real football in a useful way. You can do alot in the way of simulating position, personnel, and tempo to simulate NFL play - but it takes some mental work to adjust it to the electronic environment. How will I know what to learn?

4) Keep a journal especially after losses. We are creatures of habit - especially bad ones. By writing down notes about games, you can document your progress. Be sure to review your journal periodically. After a while you will have information to chart your own habits to figure out if you're managing the clock poorly, not balanced enough, or whether your user skills are to blame. What should I do when I find a pattern to losses?

5) Correct problems immediately. Once I played Madden '04 against someone who owned a Madden site other than my own. He beat me senseless because my pass coverage skills were inconsistent. I started practicing the DB Swat drill for 15 minutes before playing any online games for the day... it improved my skills and helped pinpoint and eliminate my bad habits. Don't wait for them to become part of your muscle memory. How can I find problems quicker?

6) Watch game film. If you're serious about enjoying Madden, you may want to invest in a capture device to record your games. I've found it instrumental in helping me spot receivers I missed in my normal progression. I scout myself, evolve, and adapt... Film gives you a spectator's perspective without having to control the game. You can SEE your mistakes and triumphs more objectively when you're watching. After watching film how should I improve?

7) Find your style and become the best at it. Only you know that your style is. If you're a pound the rock guy, find ways to pound the rock. If you're a spread 'em out guy, spread 'em out. Whatever you do, no matter how good you are, be the best you can be. I don't care if you run 1 play or 1000... Run them well. What about when my best stuff isn't working?

8) Stay in games. Don't quit when you're getting crushed. Often the person that is beating us is ultimately doing us a favor. I've learned that I struggle less in the 4th quarter of most any game so even if I can't win the current game, I can figure out how to beat a particular play so it doesn't beat me again.

Once you get this far... Rinse and repeat. As a cycle, this process of self study has done me more good than harm in the past 7 years. I enjoy all of my games - inlcuding the so-called 'cheesers' because I read history of football and use REALLY OLD theory to stop 'cheese' play. I just go back to the era when 'cheese' was standard NFL play and revert to those defenses.

Using this cycle I've developed into a much better player than I was a year ago. And I'll be a better player next year than I am now. If you understand that it's a process, you'll have more success and better enjoy the game.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »