Home

Madden 12 Idea: Player Search

This is a discussion on Madden 12 Idea: Player Search within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 13
Madden 12 Idea: Player Search

So here's my idea - give the user the ability to search for any player at any time based on any given specifications (similar to NCAA 11's recruting). I'm always finding myself looking through FA's or looking to make a trade having to sort by speed, then of the top guys, look at their catch rating or their acceleration or their route running, etc. Why not make it a bit simpler by giving us the ability to search.

For example, I need a slot receiver. I want him to be good off the line, fairly fast, but with good acceleration and Catch In Traffic ratings. In the current system, I have to sort each individually. I have to remember the top guys from each time I sort it and choose that way. Now, should we have a search option, this would be a much easier process.

Same situation, I need a slot receiver. I go into Player Search. There it gives me the option to pick my position. I pick WR. Then it gives me up to 5 options to search for. They're based on a ranking system so should I select only SPD, it would show the fastest players in the NFL at WR. Should I select all 5, it shows the best players based on my selections. I select SPD, ACC, BP (Beat Press I think is the term), CIT, and CTH. Finding my results, it gives me the option to choose "All Players", "Free Agents", "Trading Block", "NFC", or "AFC". (NFC or AFC would be for the more hardcore football guy because I wouldn't even want to think about getting Dez Brant or Desean Jackson). I pick the player and it brings up the options that are already in the game (Edit Player, Trade For Player, etc.).

This search wouldn't be limited by attributes. Maybe you just want to add the tallest player in the NFL to your roster. Maybe you want to find the heaviest player or you played a Quarterback in year 13 of your franchise and can't remember his name but you can remember his number. Maybe you're trying to make a team full of Miami Alumni. Player search would allow you to search by height, weight, number, even college.

I know this is long and most of you probably won't read all of this, but I'd like some feedback. I feel like this would be a useful addition. It probably wouldn't take much effort from Ian and the boys to include, as it's basically only a more advanced sorting of players. So, good idea?

Last edited by Meast21Forever; 12-23-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Rookie

Icarus2k9's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden 12 Idea: Player Search

This shouldn't be an idea, it should be a given. Fifa has it, so why not Madden? It would also be a good way of the Madden team backing up the idea that individual ratings matter, because suddenly OVR isn't the be all and end all.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus2k9
This shouldn't be an idea, it should be a given. Fifa has it, so why not Madden? It would also be a good way of the Madden team backing up the idea that individual ratings matter, because suddenly OVR isn't the be all and end all.

EA should take a bold step and remove the OVERALL Rating from the game, if the attributes really mean something in the game. I know they won't do this, because the casual/amateur madden player probably only looks at Overall and maybe speed attributes.

So I propose in franchise mode a hardcore mode, where they hide the overall ratings and so we would have to really focus on the actual specific attributes. Use the search tool idea above to find the players to meet your needs.

Last edited by nastynate30; 12-23-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 13

It should be a given and I definitely don't think it should be some 'back of the box' feature, but I think it'd be a great addition. I know Ian's been on here in the past few days, I'd love it if he'd come in and give some feedback.

I think there are a ton of little things that could be added to the game that would make it drastically better. Franchise mode needs a complete overhaul, but the gameplay itself is the most fun I've had on this generation of consoles.

As far as the overall rating being removed, I'm not a fan of that idea. There's got to be some way to differentiate players. But that's really not related to this thread.

I'm not claiming to be some genius to think of a great idea, but I thought I'd write it down and see if we could stir up a little attention. That's how little details get added.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

There is a lot that Madden needs to take from NCAA. To make this work, then I think you've got to truly invest in player roles again. I know that in NCAA, when I'm setting up my recruiting board, I can set my priorities to search for say a DT (run stuffer or pass rusher), RB (speed or power back).

How cool would it be to search for a free agent OLB and filter from 4-3 backer or 3-4 pass rusher? A 5-technique End or speed rusher? A nickel corner? A Veteran Qb who you could sign and help give a slight in-season awareness boost to your QB of the future?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 4

Not only in franchise.

I would like the ability to do this straight in the roster by sorting two attributes at once. Like how you said about wanting a fast-good reciever. So youd sort spd and ovr and it would go by a speed to skill ratio obviously with DeSean Jackson and Roddy White up top.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »