Home

Problems with kick returns....

This is a discussion on Problems with kick returns.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Problems with kick returns....

I've only been playing madden 11 for 2 weeks now...several games per day and I'm finding that you rarely (and the cpu too) return a KO past the 30. I had one that I almost broke and got out to the 50...but usually I'm snowed under by 5-6 guys.....the cpu has no more luck than I. Punt returns seem easier,especially if you use punt block formations...the cpu doesn't get many guys downfield so I usually have about a 10-20 yard cushion to manuever. But KOR is darn near impossible...I'm lucky if I (and the cpu) average 20 yards per return. I have cpu run block at 100 and it doesn't seem to matter....my run block is around 30 but I don't want to raise it because the running game is perfect right now.
Any other ideas? I've tried middle right and left returns to no avail. Anyone else having this problem?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Problems with kick returns....

I've returned a few kicks in Madden using Dez Bryant but I agree it seems as if the coverage is too good and none of the kick returns really "feel right". It seems the KR issue is much worse in NCAA 11 though than in Madden.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I agree. Unless break a few tackles you cant consisently past the 30. There needs to holes that open up. and unless u run a punt block formation you cant get good returns.
I think since tackle animations start when you get close to a defender you cant not run by a defender without getting tackled
Old 12-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32

I took 5 to the house with Berrian in my Vikings dynasty but rarely got past the 30 on any other kick return. The ones I returned for a TD seemed like everything opened up to the right or left right away. I could pretty much tell from the start how it was going to to.

Now I only return kicks during the 1st half and then supersim the 2nd half return-wise. This goes for punts also as it helps to make the stats more realistic.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Old 12-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Blowing bubbles

Cpre5's Arena

OVR: 17

I returned a handful per season and get another chunk to the 40/50 area by not using the right stick. Do return middle every time and run up the middle till the gunner gets into the blocking animation. At this point the cut you make with the left stick is so much more effective then the right stick.
I also used to feel KR sucked cause I almost never mass it passed the 25 until someone else explained this system to me. Now I feel KR are much more realistic, stats wise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

Not sure what to tell you... I use the Panthers. I sub Steve Smith at KR1, Chris Gamble at KR2. I run back at least 1 every three games. I've had at least 3 games where I've returned 3. One where I've returned 4 (but the last one was called back).

I'm going to assume that you're using Return Left or Return Right... Those plays are only good when the ball is kicked to the side where the blocking sets up...

Lastly, while the ball is in the air, you have the opportunity to reposition one blocker before the return man fields the kick.

I can show you better than I can tell you... Check out Episode #1 :: 2-Minute Drill - Kickoffs and Returns.

You need speed, a good block on the edge, or a good crease...

But they require practice... I've been bringing them back for years now and in the beginning of the year, I was getting to the 50. Then I put my best return man back there...

TD's every 10-15 attempts.

Later
Old 12-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I don't really find it be an issue. I get a realistic amount of TDs. My only problem/issue is that all of my TDs happen the same way: run up the middle and break outside, and run up the sideline with speed. I never really see realistic holes open up, to the point I can maneuver around blocks and break it that way. That's just me though...
Old 12-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

I could've swore a couple yrs ago people were complaining that it was too easy to return kickoffs...and now it's too hard...anyways you prolly just need to do like the masses of madden.......Zig-Zag

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »