Home

Anyone Have Any Tips or Trends For Creating NCAA Draft Classes?

This is a discussion on Anyone Have Any Tips or Trends For Creating NCAA Draft Classes? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Anyone Have Any Tips or Trends For Creating NCAA Draft Classes?

I know that importing the draft classes is pretty random, but has anyone discovered any trends that stay consistent?

Last year, "NFL size" was really important, but I'm not sure that even works this year.

Sick of having Andrew Luck come in at 82 one time and 68 the next.

So, any advice?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Anyone Have Any Tips or Trends For Creating NCAA Draft Classes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Sick of having Andrew Luck come in at 82 one time and 68 the next.
Wow, he came in as an 82 for you. Never had that happen for me. Always as a low end low draft pick B potential player.

No, I have no idea what the problem is. I just settle for the hand crafted rookies. Even if import players came in with solid ratings, their equipment and numbers are so meed up [and I don't want to have to go in and fix them] that it isn't even worth the time. Draft imports are FUBAR.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Wow, he came in as an 82 for you. Never had that happen for me. Always as a low end low draft pick B potential player.

No, I have no idea what the problem is. I just settle for the hand crafted rookies. Even if import players came in with solid ratings, their equipment and numbers are so meed up [and I don't want to have to go in and fix them] that it isn't even worth the time. Draft imports are FUBAR.
Actually Luck is a bad example, you're right, he rarely comes in as an impact prospect. I have a buddy who spends a ton of time trying to get an accurate import and Luck is one of the hardest guys to get right. I've seen Locker fluctuate a little though.

You're probably right, not much we can do to fix it.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

There is a normalization curve which randomizes ratings a bit, but they are typically quite predictable. It's not that difficult to create accurate draft classes.

If you're expecting a perfect correlation between NCAA and Madden ratings, then that's not going to happen in Madden 11. I don't think it ever should happen since not every college star will become an NFL star.

I only wish that CPU controlled teams actually had to use scouting to draft players instead of simply taking the highest OVR players in order when using imported classes.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19

I could note my feelings about this area also, as many have done.

Then, it hit me that I could use this issue to add some replay value to the game.
For QB's I would call it the Tebow factor. Meaning a great college QB with all the attributes that fit the college game, but a major "Challenge" to transfer such Collegiate talent to the Pro's.

Again, we could go on about what it wrong with the game and what EA needs to do, but this situation does parallel to the issue GM/pro scout's face when so called collegiate experts (Kiper's/McShay's) hype college player's up.

I'm actually having fun doing this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
I could note my feelings about this area also, as many have done.

Then, it hit me that I could use this issue to add some replay value to the game.
For QB's I would call it the Tebow factor. Meaning a great college QB with all the attributes that fit the college game, but a major "Challenge" to transfer such Collegiate talent to the Pro's.

Again, we could go on about what it wrong with the game and what EA needs to do, but this situation does parallel to the issue GM/pro scout's face when so called collegiate experts (Kiper's/McShay's) hype college player's up.

I'm actually having fun doing this.
Exactly, it's quite fun with a little creativity.

I've actually completely abandoned the use of Madden's "Scouting" and created a custom scouting "big board" using Excel and a little bit of manual data entry once the class is imported into Madden. Then I use the big board in a 32 team franchise to draft for each team. Some teams get booms, some get busts, the 3-4 DE and OLB prospects go to the right teams, etc.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

Another good thing about the imported player's, is that you do have somewhat control of the rookies using this method vs not having any say using Madden's in-game generated rookies.

Though positional attributes do change when imported, many attributes outside of their position remain somewhat constant when imported.

Ex.
I edited most highly rated Jr/Sr DL/LB jump ratings to 12 (lowest attribute in Madden) and they come in between 12-25, which prevent the spiderman jumps by these guys.

Along the same lines, I edit DB's under 5'11" with jump ratings under 65, while giving 6'3" and above the 99 rating which help give height some kind of rational in the game.

I've also reduced the tackle rating for corner's because Madden generates them way too high, which makes 180lb guy's bring down 230lb RB's with ease. Combined with the Hit Power rational below, these corners make an tackle attempt and bounce off or are dragged by bigger backs.

I then increase "Hit Power" of Def-Players to above 99 (**explanation below) which brings out the animation of an aggressive tackle attempt while forcing other ball carrier animations to be displayed.

**As I stated on the NCAA side, the Hit Power acts as an "Agressiveness" rating to the BALL during gameplay.
Above 90, guys will attack the BALL very aggressive, but tackle rating still plays a role.
If it is a run, they will bring the "Wood",instead of the "Hug-a-Bear" animation.
If it is a pass, they make aggressive attempts (dives, collisions etc...) to the ball.

There are others ratings you can do also that will have some impact on gameplay and affect your experience.

Last edited by khaliib; 12-29-2010 at 11:21 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »