Home

What exactly is a "short" "medium" and "deep" pass?

This is a discussion on What exactly is a "short" "medium" and "deep" pass? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: What exactly is a "short" "medium" and "deep" pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I want to know if that counts from where the ball i thrown, which, a i am told, it is supposed to. So, for example, you run backwards 20 yards and throw a drag route, is that a long pass to the computer? Also, if you run to one sideline and throw across the field to the other, is that a 40yard deep ball for a gain of 3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
LMAO!

And the devs wonder what is wrong with Madden. Hilarious PG!
LMAO!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

It is based on distance from QB to receiver, not depth of route... and that's how it should be. Yes, a 40 yard throw for a gain of 3 would use DAC, and how else would you want it?

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
It is based on distance from QB to receiver, not depth of route... and that's how it should be. Yes, a 40 yard throw for a gain of 3 would use DAC, and how else would you want it?

The funny thing to me about this is, that dropping 20 yds back to pass and throwing passes all the way back across the other side of the field would be accounted for in the Madden passing ratings while the fact that these type things can and are done repeatedly with success in Madden, has yet to be fixed.

Too funny! LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
The funny thing to me about this is, that dropping 20 yds back to pass and throwing passes all the way back across the other side of the field would be accounted for in the Madden passing ratings while the fact that these type things can and are done repeatedly with success in Madden, has yet to be fixed.

Too funny! LOL
The fact that so many players can rely on these types of passes baffles me. I don't know how people can win that way. But they do against some people, but that's not EA's fault. It's not fixed because it's OUR jobs to make bad football plays ineffective by using superior tactics. Lots of people don't do that. They just complain about how "its not football" and get beat with the same silly gimmick over and over because they keep doing the same things against it.

Warren Sapp once said that the goal of the Tampa-2 when he was a Buc was to make them throw the longest pass for the least yards. It's mine too. So yeah, I want people throwing these passes and the earlier I can get them into a pattern of doing it, the better.

Later
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
The fact that so many players can rely on these types of passes baffles me. I don't know how people can win that way. But they do against some people, but that's not EA's fault. It's not fixed because it's OUR jobs to make bad football plays ineffective by using superior tactics. Lots of people don't do that. They just complain about how "its not football" and get beat with the same silly gimmick over and over because they keep doing the same things against it.

Warren Sapp once said that the goal of the Tampa-2 when he was a Buc was to make them throw the longest pass for the least yards. It's mine too. So yeah, I want people throwing these passes and the earlier I can get them into a pattern of doing it, the better.

Later

Ill disagree. First it was supposed to be the distance from the qb to the wr, but I have seen no evidence that it actually the case. Throw a pass forty yards down field the qb will load up to hurl the ball. The arc looks good for the distance covered. Then take a qb doing a 10 yards down field with the 30 drop back the throw is lower and much more precise. And even if it takes distance from qb to receiver in vertical yards it certainly does not take in account horizontal yardage.

As to using tactics to stop bad play. That only works to an extent. I have played the eagles many times, and won a lot of games, but every once and a while, there is a guy who will run Vick, back to right and throw to Jackson
on a crossing route every play. This pass could not be covered, even manually coverage did not work as he would wait until Jackson was off screen to throw it. Only way to get to him was pressure, but as I was using the vikings everyone was to slow to get to either player.

Last edited by craxus; 01-03-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

I think they should tack horizontal yards into consideration. Not all qbs can throw from hash to hash or make the out pass with velocity. Its a actually a tool scouts use to decide if a qb has a good arm. Football is more than throwing the ball in a straight line up and down. There are more throws on angles then there are straightline throws.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
LMAO!

And the devs wonder what is wrong with Madden. Hilarious PG!
Whats so funny?

That was a good question. I mean running back 20 yards for that type of pass is silly, but I get the point....Especially the part about passing from out-side the hash marks to the other side of the field.

I always assumed it was something like 5 yards and under short, 6-15 medium, 16+ deep. But who knows for sure.

I would think where your QB and WR are in relation to each other matters as well. Like... a 5 yard completion to an outside WR is thrown further than a 5 yard completion to a tight-end on a stick route.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

like adembroski says, I think it's probably calculated right.

If the pocket is the best place to complete a pass from then I will stay in. Since it's not, or my entire o-line will get blown up, I'll drop deeper to give myself more time to pass, yeah.

There is still more work to be done with the game, but it's still getting near awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »