Home

What exactly is a "short" "medium" and "deep" pass?

This is a discussion on What exactly is a "short" "medium" and "deep" pass? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #33
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: What exactly is a "short" "medium" and "deep" pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84

Three pass types, not two. Choosing the right pass for the right situation makes as much of an impact as reading the route and so forth.

A lot of the complaints about linebackers making "superhuman jump interceptions" come from people abusing the bullet pass. In that video my last bullet pass gets picked by the LB. However, all of my well timed touch passes hit my receiver in stride right where I want them to for a nice gain.

Although you are definitely partially right about people not knowing about, and/or utilizing the variations of button hold time, there are still some crazy things that go on in the game. Very crazy things.

I've thrown straight up lob passes on Go routes that have been intercepted by outside LBs in Flat Zones. These are passes that should have ended up 40, 50yds downfield.

Yes, Lucy (Madden) has a lot more 'splainin to do than just users not holding the button too long.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #34
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshire2012
Fascinated by this - I've often thought I'd triggered a touch pass, as you call it, but I could never do it consistently.

Would you mind explaining how you do them? Right now I can only do lobs and bullets, with a tap and a press and hold respectively.
To me it feels simple. Tap for a lob, hold for a bullet, average press for a touch pass. Longer than a simple tap, but don't hold down on the button all day. I don't know how else to explain it. If you are getting bullet passes, you are holding it too long.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I've thrown straight up lob passes on Go routes that have been intercepted by outside LBs in Flat Zones. These are passes that should have ended up 40, 50yds downfield.

Yes, Lucy (Madden) has a lot more 'splainin to do than just users not holding the button too long.
I can't explain how a lob to a streaking WR is picked by an OLB in a Flat zone... It would seem the trajectory of a lobbed streak could get over the OLB...

I have however, had several passes with a flat trajectory pickd bu OLB's in flat zones. I have a bad habit of wanting to fire bullet passes in to WR who has a big cushion. When that happens, the OLB playing the flat on the side of the pass can get between the QB and the WR at the perfect time to disrupt low line drive passes.

The only thing I can think of that would explain this sufficiently is if the pass wasn't lobbed at the proper trajectory to reach the WR 40 yards downfield, the OLB is actually in a curl/flat zone that forces the pass to be thrown higher to complete the streak, or the QB was under pressure and the pass didn't come out as perfectly as you wanted.

Beat's me... Although, if I saw the game film, I'd be able to tell you exactly what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
To me it feels simple. Tap for a lob, hold for a bullet, average press for a touch pass. Longer than a simple tap, but don't hold down on the button all day. I don't know how else to explain it. If you are getting bullet passes, you are holding it too long.
Agreed. It's hard to explain because I've been doing it so long it's instinctive now.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #36
Rookie

Reejer's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waka Flocka John
0-15 short. 15-30 med. 30+ deep
I concur with your assessment.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #37
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I can't explain how a lob to a streaking WR is picked by an OLB in a Flat zone... It would seem the trajectory of a lobbed streak could get over the OLB...

I have however, had several passes with a flat trajectory pickd bu OLB's in flat zones. I have a bad habit of wanting to fire bullet passes in to WR who has a big cushion. When that happens, the OLB playing the flat on the side of the pass can get between the QB and the WR at the perfect time to disrupt low line drive passes.

The only thing I can think of that would explain this sufficiently is if the pass wasn't lobbed at the proper trajectory to reach the WR 40 yards downfield, the OLB is actually in a curl/flat zone that forces the pass to be thrown higher to complete the streak, or the QB was under pressure and the pass didn't come out as perfectly as you wanted.

Beat's me... Although, if I saw the game film, I'd be able to tell you exactly what happened.

Agreed. It's hard to explain because I've been doing it so long it's instinctive now.

Later

I know what happened. It's called Madden Football lol.

Btw. I know how far up the field the ball was intended to go, because there is a visual indicator on the field that tells you. The ball was in fact headed at least 40 or 50yds upfield.

This happened several times, in head to head games, against people that like to play goal line D, all game long. You would think that this would be an ideal time to punish someone using this technique by going deep, but real life strategy has no place in Madden.

It doesn't happen all the time, by any stretch. But it definitely has happened. The first time I remember seeing it was in 08. I took the game back right after seeing it.

I'm sorry, but this game is just straight up bizarre. No nicer way that I can describe it.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
This happened several times, in head to head games, against people that like to play goal line D, all game long. You would think that this would be an ideal time to punish someone using this technique by going deep, but real life strategy has no place in Madden.
I am in no way saying that madden is perfect, but if you have trouble beating someone who lines up in a goal-line D all game then I have to question your basic knowledge of football.

I mean seriously? What tactics did you try to beat it?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #39
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshire2012
I am in no way saying that madden is perfect, but if you have trouble beating someone who lines up in a goal-line D all game then I have to question your basic knowledge of football.

I mean seriously? What tactics did you try to beat it?

Who said that I lost? All I said was I saw this intercept a bomb with LBs in Flat Zone phenomenon, mostly against people that play Goal line D all game. And this may no longer be the case, but I can assure you, that back on the PS2 days, there were many people that would probably hand you your *** with this strategy.

Don't jump to conclusions. Stay on the ground.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #40
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Who said that I lost? All I said was I saw this intercept a bomb with LBs in Flat Zone phenomenon, mostly against people that play Goal line D all game. And this may no longer be the case, but I can assure you, that back on the PS2 days, there were many people that would probably hand you your *** with this strategy.

Don't jump to conclusions. Stay on the ground.
Agreed. People make too man assumptions. Also, people would line up with quarters d and audible down to goal line. Since Madden doesn't care about size, strength, etc, you would see corners playing DE line champs with high end speed. No draw back. Also, they could/would tackle anyone. So many things are wrong with madden and were wrong in the past that didn't respect football. It is part of the argument with TNT that you can't just game plan against some cheese with "football knowledge" because madden takes football knowledge and throws it out the window.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »