Home

Switch to Madden GameCube???

This is a discussion on Switch to Madden GameCube??? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2003, 01:27 PM   #1
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10
Switch to Madden GameCube???

Looking for some suggestions, particularly from Madden 2004 GameCube players...because EA doesn't give a sh!t about the dirty disc errors that Xbox players have to put with.

Overall, how are the graphics and control in the GameCube version? If you've played (or seen) 2004 or even previous versions on Xbox, how does the GC version compare?

Judging only screenshots, I've always been a little envious of the GC version, simply cuz of the more detailed grass textures (since everything else appears the same). Are they any worse?

Is the control/controller feel natural compared to the PS2 or Xbox versions? I'm thinking that with practice, it will play exactly the same.

The thing is, I don't have a GC, but I've been thinking about getting one cuz I like their Star Wars games. I definitely don't feel like getting a new Xbox just for ONE game, when all my other games work. Should I get a GC and the GC Madden?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2003, 01:28 PM   #2
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18
Re: Switch to Madden GameCube???

The only problem with the GC version is the controller and you have to have the bigger memory card if you want to run a franchise - the visuals are on par with the Xbox and better close up, but you'll notice some faded graphics in the distance (this has to do with the memory that a GC can handle and the processors draw distance.)

Old 08-14-2003, 02:00 PM   #3
Rookie

SportsNUT's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:

iLLWiLL said:
Looking for some suggestions, particularly from Madden 2004 GameCube players...because EA doesn't give a sh!t about the dirty disc errors that Xbox players have to put with.

Overall, how are the graphics and control in the GameCube version? If you've played (or seen) 2004 or even previous versions on Xbox, how does the GC version compare?

Judging only screenshots, I've always been a little envious of the GC version, simply cuz of the more detailed grass textures (since everything else appears the same). Are they any worse?

Is the control/controller feel natural compared to the PS2 or Xbox versions? I'm thinking that with practice, it will play exactly the same.

The thing is, I don't have a GC, but I've been thinking about getting one cuz I like their Star Wars games. I definitely don't feel like getting a new Xbox just for ONE game, when all my other games work. Should I get a GC and the GC Madden?

The GC version of Madden 2004 is fantastic. Like any new system the controller takes getting used to...but it is fantastic. Fits great in your hands and the controls are easy to reach. The memory card issue isn't that big of a deal. Fro $19.99 you can get the Noki 64 MB cards (holds 17x more than Nintendo cards) and can hold up to 5 franchises. I have two of these cards and have never looked back.

Graphics wise it is excellent. The grass textures are...well you have seen them....very well done and the player models are on par with XBox. The GC does implement a "look" in the graphics...when the camera is focused on a player...the background players are out of focus...I think this is the fuzzy "look" described above. I think this is intentional...don't know if it is due to hardware limitations...but it has never taken away from the game (you only see it on after play shots). I like it because it is quite accurate...if you focus on one individual....background objects will be out of focus. Anyway, graphically the game is excellent.

Sound. GC doesn't have 5.1 sound, but is still rocks. I have it hooked up to Dobly 2.1 speakers and they sound great. The crowd flows with the game....hear the boos, aahhhs and the players yapping on the field.

Controller. Everyone I have ever talked to was aprehensive when picking up the GC controller for the first time....but it grows on you very quickly. It doesn't have R1, R2, etc. like PS2, but it does have a "z" button and yellow stick and the trigger button that perfom many functions. I love the controller. Melts right into your hands and is very comfortable.

If you haven't gathered by now...I own the GC. It is a fabulous system...as is XBox and PS2....all have great things to offer. But it seems the dark horse every year...is the GC version of Madden. They do a great job of bringing the game to the Cube.

I also saw your post about the grass textures and the discussion about GC hardware. GC has a 485 MHz Microprocessor Unit: Custom IBM Power PC "Gekko" RISC processor...so comparing MHz to MHz with an Intel box is selling the power of the cube short. I read an article that in Intel MHz number 485 Risc is very close to 700...still slightly under the 733 of XBox. Memrory wise...GC has 40MB to XBox's 64 MB....but the GC does some crazy things to keep up. I think there is no question the XBox is more powerful....but clearly the GC does outpace the PS2 and with what it brings to the table...produces great graphics and gameplay.

Cube is a great system for the money...you won't be dissapointed.

* also NCAA import works.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
Rookie

TreyFury97's Arena

OVR: 7

Truth be told, the GC versions of both Madden and NCAA last year were great, and I had no problems with the controller, or lockups(happened once). This year, from what it seems, the games are still great. I however went and got a PS2 though, because EA is not giving us GameCubers all of the their sports games. (Most notably NCAA March Maddness to go with NBA Live, which is my basketball game of choice) That and the lack of other sports titles is what's killing it. I hate to say it, but the "kiddie" system moniker in a way applies b/c, lots of the people who play sports games are older. Add that fact with bad ports (see Sega's 2K series), and you get why not as many people are buying it(except as a 2nd or 3rd system. If you want the GC for the other games (F-Zero, Zelda, Star Wars, Mario Kart), I would whole heartedly recommend it. If you want better Madden, go with the PS2. This is from a True-Nintendo homer.

Trey

PS They controller is not that bad. The only thing you may not like is on a fighting like Soul Calibur II, with the small D-Pad. But its very comfortable, despite the funky Button Set-up
Old 08-14-2003, 02:31 PM   #5
Rookie

TreyFury97's Arena

Quote:

SportsNUT said:

The GC version of Madden 2004 is fantastic. Like any new system the controller takes getting used to...but it is fantastic. Fits great in your hands and the controls are easy to reach. The memory card issue isn't that big of a deal. Fro $19.99 you can get the Noki 64 MB cards (holds 17x more than Nintendo cards) and can hold up to 5 franchises. I have two of these cards and have never looked back.

Graphics wise it is excellent. The grass textures are...well you have seen them....very well done and the player models are on par with XBox. The GC does implement a "look" in the graphics...when the camera is focused on a player...the background players are out of focus...I think this is the fuzzy "look" described above. I think this is intentional...don't know if it is due to hardware limitations...but it has never taken away from the game (you only see it on after play shots). I like it because it is quite accurate...if you focus on one individual....background objects will be out of focus. Anyway, graphically the game is excellent.

Sound. GC doesn't have 5.1 sound, but is still rocks. I have it hooked up to Dobly 2.1 speakers and they sound great. The crowd flows with the game....hear the boos, aahhhs and the players yapping on the field.

Controller. Everyone I have ever talked to was aprehensive when picking up the GC controller for the first time....but it grows on you very quickly. It doesn't have R1, R2, etc. like PS2, but it does have a "z" button and yellow stick and the trigger button that perfom many functions. I love the controller. Melts right into your hands and is very comfortable.

If you haven't gathered by now...I own the GC. It is a fabulous system...as is XBox and PS2....all have great things to offer. But it seems the dark horse every year...is the GC version of Madden. They do a great job of bringing the game to the Cube.

I also saw your post about the grass textures and the discussion about GC hardware. GC has a 485 MHz Microprocessor Unit: Custom IBM Power PC "Gekko" RISC processor...so comparing MHz to MHz with an Intel box is selling the power of the cube short. I read an article that in Intel MHz number 485 Risc is very close to 700...still slightly under the 733 of XBox. Memrory wise...GC has 40MB to XBox's 64 MB....but the GC does some crazy things to keep up. I think there is no question the XBox is more powerful....but clearly the GC does outpace the PS2 and with what it brings to the table...produces great graphics and gameplay.

Cube is a great system for the money...you won't be dissapointed.

* also NCAA import works.

Wow SportsNut, you put that so damn well. Curious, do you play any other sports games, and will not having all of the games on the Cube affect your decision? With the New EA Bio, that had some effect on my decision not to stick with GC(only for the sports games, I still have to have it for Soul Calibur, F-Zero, Mario Kart, and all the 4-player maddness . If they would have had all the EA sports games, it would have been a no-brainer. One more thing to add about the GC Controller. I actually prefer it to the PS2 one on the football games. Using the Right analog stick seems real natural. Just a little bit more to add.

Trey
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2003, 02:49 PM   #6
Rookie

simpsman2244's Arena

OVR: 3

how many blocks does madden take up for the cube
Old 08-14-2003, 03:14 PM   #7
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Thanks everyone for your input.

Excellent feedback, Sportsnut in particular...I am nearly sold on the Gamecube. I'm a bit of graphics whore, so I think Madden GC may be for me.

Then TREY had to come in throw a wrench in the gameplan! Now you got me thinking of getting a PS2!
Damn, how are the Madden PS2 graphics, lol

Is Madden Online really that good? Or is it a cheeser-fest, with 2004?
Old 08-14-2003, 03:21 PM   #8
Dez
Rookie

Dez's Arena

Madden takes up 185 blocks.........

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »