Home

Should Madden have player ratings at all?

This is a discussion on Should Madden have player ratings at all? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Should Madden have player ratings at all?

If not hide the ratings, do it like NBA 2k does with letter grades.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 9

I don't know....each team in the NFL scouts and grades players at many of the same things that Madden does....I can't say it's exactly the same but similar. When a team goes to draft or trade a guy, they have viable numbers that they use to compare. Even if they letter grade each attribute, there is an overall score to distinguish the QB with great arm and poor defensive reading abilities to the preferable decent arm and good reading abilities. It can just "even out" in the end...there is a judgement system all teams use to choose one player over another in free agency, draft, trades etc.
Now also, UNLIKE madden, whose players will play to their ratings, the NFL scouts can be WRONG and a highly rated player could fail to live up to expectations. I'd like to see madden accomodate this, mostly in there made up players for the draft. Current guys I'd like to see play as they are now but compensate for the ravages of age and injury.
It would be nice to see a HB who is a 96 speed now, become an 88 after knee surgery or stuff like that.
In old gen, I do remember having a 99 HB (drafted player who I worked on in training camp) drop to a 90 in one season (I guess he was aging).
Old 01-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
Rookie

Reejer's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
So hopefully, this OPTION makes it into Madden 12, with the caveat that they show ALL players combine data. Like 40 times, bench press, shuttle, etc, like they do for the draft picks. However, I shouldn't have to scout NFL vets, this data should be already available, IMO.

I do think it would be interesting to have different drills and test you can put players through while controlling them to make your own talent assessment. However, this should affect individual NFL vets willingness to sign or re-sign with your team, since they despise being treated like the still need to prove themselves.
I like this idea having the combine data instead of showing ratings. It would be cool if each player had a scouting homepage which could break down the following info: Career stats, injuries, height/weight, combine data, attitude (what kind of player he is: Team leader, distraction, etc..), age, awards, Pro-Bowl appearances, and a paragraph stating some of the players other attributes.

I also like the idea of assessing talent. It could be used when you bring in some FA players to give them a workout. EX: If halfway through the season you are down to one QB because of injuries, you can bring in a few FA QB's to run them through the paces (like in the real NFL). It would make it even better if they expanded the FA list to include players that have been out of the league a year or two, and added a Practice Squad.

The only things that need to be ironed out are; create-a-player, the ability to edit existing players, and repealing/reworking the potential rating.

Because IMO, depth and customization are very important aspects of Madden, these would be great additions (but make them able to be toggled for folks who would get turned off by not being able to see the players ratings).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reejer
I like this idea having the combine data instead of showing ratings. It would be cool if each player had a scouting homepage which could break down the following info: Career stats, injuries, height/weight, combine data, attitude (what kind of player he is: Team leader, distraction, etc..), age, awards, Pro-Bowl appearances, and a paragraph stating some of the players other attributes.

I also like the idea of assessing talent. It could be used when you bring in some FA players to give them a workout. EX: If halfway through the season you are down to one QB because of injuries, you can bring in a few FA QB's to run them through the paces (like in the real NFL). It would make it even better if they expanded the FA list to include players that have been out of the league a year or two, and added a Practice Squad.

The only things that need to be ironed out are; create-a-player, the ability to edit existing players, and repealing/reworking the potential rating.

Because IMO, depth and customization are very important aspects of Madden, these would be great additions (but make them able to be toggled for folks who would get turned off by not being able to see the players ratings).
EXACTLY!!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

What if the ratings were more realistic like..40 time, bench press, verticle leap...college stats would speak to heart? NFL tenure would speak to awareness, field smarts..something like that..Bench press+weight gives you a sense of strength?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

I dont think this is the solution, but i do think there is a better way to do it than the system they have now, not sure what that is tho haha, hopefully they figure it out
Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
Rookie

deadly738's Arena

OVR: 0

Something I would like to see is keep the ratings, but hide the overall ratings. That way, you have to look at each player's individual ratings to see who you want to start.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #16
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

Yes Madden should keep player ratings. I enjoy analyzing depth charts the way the are now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »