Home

Incorrect playoff seeding in dynasty mode....STILL

This is a discussion on Incorrect playoff seeding in dynasty mode....STILL within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Angry Incorrect playoff seeding in dynasty mode....STILL

EA Sports STILL has not addressed the offline dynasty incorrect playoff seeding glitch for the 9th consecutive year! They still seed the playoffs based on overall regular season record only, thus allowing wildcard teams to be seeded ahead of division winners when it comes to Round 2 of the playoffs, which is 110% WRONG and not what happens in real life!!!!
For example:

My Madden 11 offline dynasty AFC Playoff Seeds: (INCORRECT)

#1 - Colts 13-3 (AFC South winner)
#2 - Jets 12-4 (AFC EAST winner)
#3 - Patriots 11-5 (Wildcard team)
#4 - Steelers 10-6 (AFC North winner)
#5 - Chargers 9-7 (AFC West winner)
#6 - Titans 8-8 (Wildcard team)

* - In real life, the wildcard Patriots would be seeded #5 behind both the division winning Steelers and division winning Chargers, even though the Patriots finished with a better overall regular season record in this example above. The problem in Madden 11 occurs when you get to Round 2 (Divisional Round) of the playoffs in offline dynasty mode. In real life, the division winning Chargers would play the #2 Jets, and the wildcard Patriots would play the #1 Colts in Round 2. In the real life NFL playoffs, wildcard teams are NEVER seeded ahead of division winners, even if that wildcard team finishes with a better regular season record than that division winner does. However, Madden 11 does the total opposite because they base the Round 2 playoff seeding and subsequent match-ups on regular season record, which is WRONG!!!! EA has not addressed this ultra-glaring glitch for nine straight years now, even after many posts were blogged about it to them last year! TERRIBLE JOB BY EA!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 17
Re: Incorrect playoff seeding in dynasty mode....STILL

although it shows the seeding wrong, I believe they always give home field advantage to the divisional teams. Such as last season in my franchise the Broncos had a record of 10-6 winning the afc west vs the Titans who had a record of 11-5 earning a wild card spot, and they played at Mile High Stadium in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Same with the 8-8 NFC East Cowboys vs the Wild Card 9-7 Falcons. They played at Cowboys Stadium.

It sucks that they seed it wrong, but at least they are giving correct home field.

And yeah i realize that the next round will be messed up with incorrect seeding some of the time as well.

I'm with you that they need to fix this, along with the many other problems with franchise mode.

Last edited by Midgeotto; 10-11-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

Same thing happened to me on the weekend, I won NFC West with 9 - 7 (go on, laugh away) and ended up at home in the wildcard game against the Falcons.

Really makes me wonder if anybody at EA Toblerone has actually read the football rule book.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hi Rocket, I remember you from another board,

and yep you are correct, once again EA REFUSES to fix this. Every year I rent Madden just to see if they fixed it, and every year its STILL broken. As you already probably know, its been wrong since Madden 2003. I didn't get 2004 or 2005, but it was STILL wrong in 2006, and every subsequent year thereafter.

I put this in the bug list for this year, but I highly doubt they'll fix it. After all its been 9 years and they did nothing; so why would they change it now?

What makes this so bad is that with the 2006 version of Madden that situation you have described happened in REAL life, and when I simmed the 2005 - 2006 season in Madden 2006 with the same result in real life up until the divisional round of the playoffs.

Here are the regular season AFC stands for the playoff teams for the 2005 - 2006 NFL season:

Colts (14 - 2 - 0) (AFC South winner) #1 seed
Broncos (13 - 3 - 0) (AFC West winner) #2 seed
Jaguars (12 - 4 - 0) (Wild card #1) #5 seed (didn't win division so they are automatically a wild card team)
Bengals (11 - 5 - 0) (AFC North winner) #3 seed
Steelers (11 - 5 - 0) (Wild card #2) #6 seed (didn't win division so they are automatically a wild card team)
Patriots (10 - 6 - 0) (AFC East winner) #4 seed

In the wild card round in real life:
the #4 Patriots beat the #5 Jaguars and
the #6 Steelers beat the #3 Bengals,

so in the divisional round:
the #4 Patriots played the #2 Broncos and
the #6 Steelers played the #1 Colts,

But when I simmed the entire season and wild card round in the playoffs in Madden; it had the Colts playing the Patriots and the Steelers playing the Broncos, which was obviously WRONG.

You would think after this, EA would have realized something was wrong with their playoff logic, but nope, they didn't touch it and today its the same broken code that's been in the game since Madden '03.

Finally, Here are a couple of my multiple post describing the bug in detail, the first even with screenshots (from Madden 2010). I have screen shots for this years version as well, but I didn't bother to post them again, it doesn't seem to make a difference anyway.

Post #1

Simply Google: "Madden playoff bug" and click the first link that says "Madden Playoff bug explained..": or just click the google search link below and follow the first link.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Post #2
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2041474638 (See Post #130)

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 10-11-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy748
Same thing happened to me on the weekend, I won NFC West with 9 - 7 (go on, laugh away) and ended up at home in the wildcard game against the Falcons.

Really makes me wonder if anybody at EA Toblerone has actually read the football rule book.
Have you read the rule book?
If you won the NFC West and were not the #1 OR #2 seed, who have byes in the Wild Card weekend, you, along with the fourth division winner, would host a home Wild Card game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by havokeff
Have you read the rule book?
If you won the NFC West and were not the #1 OR #2 seed, who have byes in the Wild Card weekend, you, along with the fourth division winner, would host a home Wild Card game.

yep you are right about that; division winners ALWAYS have a home game in the wild card round regardless of their record. It seems that some people don't really understand the issue here. In Madden, the wildcard round is always correct, its only in certain situations that the divisional playoff matchups are wrong because the game goes by regular season records instead of playoff seeding.

In the divisional round (round 2) The #1 seed will always play the LOWEST seeded winner from the wild card round regardless of their record. This leaves the #2 seed playing the highest seeded winner from the wild card round. In some situations, a #5 or #6 seed can have a better record than a divisional winner and this is where Madden has gotten the matchups wrong for 9 straight years.

In my situation above, (which incidentally occurred in real life in the 2005 -2006 season) the two wild card round winners were the #4 Patriots (10 - 6 - 0) and the #6 Steelers (11 - 5 - 0). The Patriots won their division so they were guaranteed to be at least a #4 seed. The Steelers, while they had a better record than the Patriots, did not win their division so the could only be a wild card team. The reason they were the #6 seed was because the Jaguars @ (12 - 4 - 0) were the 5th seed.

Anyway in the divisional round, the #1 Colts played the lowest seed winner from the wild card round which were the #6 Steelers and the #2 Broncos played the highest seeded winner which were the #4 Patriots. However Madden screwed this up and put the Colts against the Patriots and the Broncos against the Steelers because it seemed to using the regular season record to determine the matchups; which is wrong.

I just don't understand why they won't fix this, either they don't understand the NFL playoff procedures, or just don't care that its wrong. Its a real simple fix, heck I could fix it for them if they are unable to do so.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 10-12-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Rookie

Double C's Arena

OVR: 22

Bumping the thread because that king if stuff happened in my online franchise.
The Patriots and the Steelers were tied (11-5) for the #6 seed.
The Steelers beat the Pats during the regular season but New England was awarded the playoff spot.

My screenshot albums
Just Win on Madden Baby
Old 01-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

See the "I just simmed a franchise..." thread, where this is being discussed. Closed.

EDIT: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...se-simmed.html
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »