Home

CPU Rookie draft logic

This is a discussion on CPU Rookie draft logic within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 6
CPU Rookie draft logic

So if anyone has seen in the online forums lately I'm starting up a sim style online franchise. I've gotten pretty much everything in place but I am still brainstorming on what to do with the rookie draft.

Having no experience in Madden 11 w/ the online franchise drafts I have a few questions about CPU teams and the draft.

Given the state of the Madden draft classes we all know that there are high 70s and low 80s rated players with 3rd-5th round draft projections.

I am trying to "control" everyone just snapping up the best players in the first round by bringing in a rule that forces owners to draft at most 1 round before a player's projected draft round.

For instance: A running back with an 80 overall that is projected as a 5th round pick can only be drafted in the 4th round at the earliest.

My question is, how does the CPU draft in online franchises. Do they draft solely on rating alone (so they will be drafting the best players available in the first round even if they are the "diamonds in the rough" that are usually available in the later rounds). Or is it like in an offline franchise where they basically stick to the draft projections of players and there are still higher rated players left in the draft in the 3rd-5th rounds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: CPU Rookie draft logic

Why would you try to restrict when a user drafts a player for their team. It shouldn't matter when someone selects a player, reguardless of the round. This game is about attributes pertaining to the position ovr means jack. If a 68 ovr WR has spd, acc, cth, cit, and jmp I'm drafting him whenever, if I don't think he'll last through whatever round I'll take him very early.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
MVP

The idea behind it is to bring a little variety to the draft. As of right now all you have to do is bring up one of the many draft class excel sheets and it will give you every single stat for a player.

This leads to the only round that means anything is the first and a little bit of the second round because everyone knows the stud players at the beginning of the season (since online franchise uses the same exact class order each time).

The rule is meant to make later picks a little more valuable and trading down in the draft a viable move. ATM trading down nets you nearly nothing since there is so few players included in each draft of worth and all of them are gone within the first 2 rounds.

By limiting players' ability to pick up late round projected prospects you make it viable to trade a current player to get an early pick in the 3rd and 4th rounds (where a lot of the studs are projected at sometimes).

The only hitch in the plan would be if the CPU drafted completely on the overall of the player (so if you had 10 players rated from 99-89, the CPU would draft by rating in descending order; pick 1: 99 player, pick 2: 98 player, etc.)

If they draft like they do in offline franchise there wouldn't be an issue. That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

pretty sure the computer selects best available only if it is a huge step down from the next highest rated. otherwise they select based on need. also they do weird stuff based on age and all that nonsense. idk i dont even think ea understands it
Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Those draft projections only pertain to offline franchises. In online drafts all the good players are gone within the first two rounds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
MVP

That I understand. What I was attempting to do is make it so player's have to go by the projections to create a more interesting draft.

HOWEVER, I'm still not sure whether or not the CPU actually drafts busts in an online franchise like they do in offline franchise.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

They don't, they draft best available majority of the time.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
MVP

Yea that's about all that I have been able to gather as well. Therefore, that rule is out the window

Free-for-all drafts that become useless after the first 2 rounds here we come lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »