Home

I think it's time for 2 phases of the game instead of two....

This is a discussion on I think it's time for 2 phases of the game instead of two.... within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 AM   #17
Rookie

mngophers21's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: I think it's time for 2 phases of the game instead of two....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
I have an idea for kicking field goals. It might be terrible but it just popped into my head.

What if there was a reticle that you controlled and you place it in between the goal posts. There would be no power meter because that would be based on how far a kicker kicks in real life. Or power could be based on how high you have the reticle. Now, depending on the kickers rating the more or less the reticle would vibrate or move. It would always vibrate if you kept it in the middle of the uprights. You press A and the kicker kicks attempting to put the ball where you put the reticle.

I dont know. Just a 5am thought lol.
I actually really like this idea.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 8

A few things...

First, I didn't read the entire thread. Just the beginning. I'm amazed that there are still players that don't think Special Teams are important in Madden.

1) I like the fact that I'm in charge of the kick. I am adamantly against automatic kicking/punting because it takes control out of my hands - which is why I play video games in the first place.

2) Kicking is simple (as it should be) but its not easy... "Easy" suggests that it's hard to screw up, when its the exact opposite. The kick meter forces players to focus on kicks unlike the stick method. Slough off and miss the timing of the three button presses and that short FG ends up being a lost possession with no points.

3) The return game in Madden is also important. Players that rely on the stock plays to work right out of the box are likely to have trouble. On kickoffs, the Return Middle plays work well most of the time and the Return Left/Right plays work with directional kicks. The number of possible punt returns (Left, Middle, Right, Block Return, and Double Safe) mean there are options in the return game as well, should we choose to use them.

I'm not saying its perfect. It's not. I too would like to see more blocked FG/Punts... But like the OP said, blocks have been attributed to cheese for so long that 'honest' Madden players won't even attempt to block a FG or a punt.

One thing is sure... Removing aspects of user control to pave the way for percentages to have a larger affect on game play is a HORRIBLE precedent.

Later
Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
A few things...

First, I didn't read the entire thread. Just the beginning. I'm amazed that there are still players that don't think Special Teams are important in Madden.

1) I like the fact that I'm in charge of the kick. I am adamantly against automatic kicking/punting because it takes control out of my hands - which is why I play video games in the first place.

2) Kicking is simple (as it should be) but its not easy... "Easy" suggests that it's hard to screw up, when its the exact opposite. The kick meter forces players to focus on kicks unlike the stick method. Slough off and miss the timing of the three button presses and that short FG ends up being a lost possession with no points.

3) The return game in Madden is also important. Players that rely on the stock plays to work right out of the box are likely to have trouble. On kickoffs, the Return Middle plays work well most of the time and the Return Left/Right plays work with directional kicks. The number of possible punt returns (Left, Middle, Right, Block Return, and Double Safe) mean there are options in the return game as well, should we choose to use them.

I'm not saying its perfect. It's not. I too would like to see more blocked FG/Punts... But like the OP said, blocks have been attributed to cheese for so long that 'honest' Madden players won't even attempt to block a FG or a punt.

One thing is sure... Removing aspects of user control to pave the way for percentages to have a larger affect on game play is a HORRIBLE precedent.

Later
I don't know what game you are playing, but even on All-Madden its impossible to miss a FG. Also, there is nothing wrong with having real fg% as an option like coach mode for the passing.

Even on All-Madden I have never seen the AI return a punt or a Kick. I can punt one to Devon Hester, lay down the controller and watch my defenders tackle him every single time.

The special teams aspect of this game is seriously lacking.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
For kicking, I'm OK with the meter. What they need to do is remove the arrow you use to aim.

I don't aim the arrow on M11. So if I'm on the right hash, I have to intentionally press a little late for accuracy for the kick to be good. It's made kicking a lot more of a challenge.

i never thought of that
Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
op, did you mean 3 phases?

Yes, lol I corrected it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I don't know what game you are playing, but even on All-Madden its impossible to miss a FG. Also, there is nothing wrong with having real fg% as an option like coach mode for the passing.

Even on All-Madden I have never seen the AI return a punt or a Kick. I can punt one to Devon Hester, lay down the controller and watch my defenders tackle him every single time.

The special teams aspect of this game is seriously lacking.
No argument here... I haven't played the AI in years. I can only attest to the games I've played or witnessed. I only play people and people miss tons of field goals. Particularly online, where network conditions affect the speed of the meter enough that the typical 'rhythm' methods aren't always a good idea.

But even in tournaments I've hosted, the kicking game and field position came into play. IMO, Human vs human - kicking has more edge with the meter than the stick method...

Later
Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #23
Rookie

KuruptOwnz's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: I think it's time for 3 phases of the game instead of two....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droopy03
But lets make madden 12 right :-)
It seems we've been asking this every year, not just Madden 12...
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #24
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

I'd like to see one Special Teams rating that will help separate the great gunners, kick coverers, kick blockers, etc. A guy like Kassim Osgood would have a mid to high 90s rating since he makes the pro bowl every year and is one of the best gunners in the league.

The rating can just give a huge boost to physical attributes and awareness during special teams plays. Now the bottom end of the roster could be very important in Franchises where you have to make decisions to bring in some special teamers but perhaps sacrifice the quality of your backups at other positions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »