Home

Question about online quick-matching

This is a discussion on Question about online quick-matching within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should "quick match" functionality be changed?
Yes - select your teams & options before matching up. 48 51.61%
No - don't change it. Everyone will hate it. 16 17.20%
Yes - but do something else, not option 1. 29 31.18%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 52
Icon5 Question about online quick-matching

So I have read tons of complaints throughout the year of how frustrating it can be sometimes when you try to quick match in an online game and your opponents constantly just back out of the screen immediately. I know it has happened to me and it's obviously a pain in the a** when you only have a specific amount of time to play and you can't get an opponent to stay with you.

The reasons are numerous - they don't like the team you've selected, or they are a 'bum hunter' and your record is too good, they're just trying to get the roster update (they don't know there is a menu option), etc.

So an easy way to combat this would be to force you to select your team, playbook, uniform, and other options BEFORE you hit the quick match button. Once you hit quick match, it finds someone and the game just immediately starts loading. Some cons right away I see with this:
1. You can't pick your team based on matchup
2. If you are the away team, your selected uniform could possibly get trounced (if you both selected dark uni's for example)
3. Change is scary and a lot of people don't like it.

To play both sides, all of those can be alleviated by you just selecting Custom Match...

So, vote in the poll...and drop your comments. I'm curious what you think.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Pro

The Iceman's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Question about online quick-matching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
So I have read tons of complaints throughout the year of how frustrating it can be sometimes when you try to quick match in an online game and your opponents constantly just back out of the screen immediately. I know it has happened to me and it's obviously a pain in the a** when you only have a specific amount of time to play and you can't get an opponent to stay with you.

The reasons are numerous - they don't like the team you've selected, or they are a 'bum hunter' and your record is too good, they're just trying to get the roster update (they don't know there is a menu option), etc.

So an easy way to combat this would be to force you to select your team, playbook, uniform, and other options BEFORE you hit the quick match button. Once you hit quick match, it finds someone and the game just immediately starts loading. Some cons right away I see with this:
1. You can't pick your team based on matchup
2. If you are the away team, your selected uniform could possibly get trounced (if you both selected dark uni's for example)
3. Change is scary and a lot of people don't like it.

To play both sides, all of those can be alleviated by you just selecting Custom Match...

So, vote in the poll...and drop your comments. I'm curious what you think.
I have been victim of this a few times and think it is a great idea, especially when I just want to get a game in before I go out to do something, and Ill sit there for 5 minutes trying to find someone to play the Jets. Like you said if someone doesn't want to pick beforehand, just do a custom match.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

For the uniform selection allow only the home team to choose either road or home. I hate playing a game when both teams are wearing white or dark..
Old 11-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
For the uniform selection allow only the home team to choose either road or home. I hate playing a game when both teams are wearing white or dark..
Something like this...

Maybe I'll get lampooned, but I wouldnt mind Uni's not being an option for On-Line quick match. Home must wear home jersey, away team must wear away jersey.

So I guess I'm voting for pick teams, playbooks first. (Uni's auto-option) Then find a quick-match.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

This happens quite a bit with me because I play Quick Matches 99.999% of the time. It happens all times of the day/night. Nerve racking when I have someplace to go, but I still like it better than the current invite system though. Checking messages on PSN to look for game invites is cumbersome.

I like the idea of picking teams and options before the game, but I only play with one team... Not being able to match might ultimately mean I'd never again see lesser used teams because folks won't want to be overpowered. I can't vote for this option because it would suck for players that like to match teams...

I'm going to go with leave it the way it is... But let the home team select a jersey color and only allow the visiting team to select jersey's with an acceptable level of contrast.

I vote - Leave it alone. I only want to play people that want to play. If they bug out, they are doing me a favor.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17

I don't play online much at all, but this sounds like a great idea that would make me want to play online. I was always sick of people picking one of the big name teams just because I was loyal and played as my Lions e.g. They would be a Bills fan but then pick the Colts.

Nice to see you getting involved here at OS Ian. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Rookie

falconfansince81's Arena

OVR: 3

i've played 33 quick match online games this year (only play if i have no online franchise games), and since i use the falcons people have always stuck around to play.

after awhile my record grew to 31-1 and sure enough nobody would play me, occasionally i'd find a low level player or a blatant glitcher (2nd and last loss) to play but that was it.

i think bringing back the fair play option would solve a lot of unwarranted changes as you guys are well aware of how change goes over sometimes. you know half the people would b*tch about it, but having an option where you DO have these preset features (such as a specific lobby) accompanied with the fair play settings might encourage more sim gamers recently discouraged to venture online once again.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTurneR
I don't play online much at all, but this sounds like a great idea that would make me want to play online. I was always sick of people picking one of the big name teams just because I was loyal and played as my Lions e.g. They would be a Bills fan but then pick the Colts.

Nice to see you getting involved here at OS Ian. Keep up the good work.
That would do the exact opposite of what you want. Ill give you an example.

I am a Redskins fan. I am in an online franchise as the Jets (Only open team at the time).

When I play random matches, I want to use my Skins. If the other guys chooses a team within range of the Skins, I am all for that game. If the guy chooses someone like the Steelers, Colts, Patriots, I switch to the Jets and get some practice in as my OF team.

If they set it up where I cant see team choice, I will choose the Jets everytime (again, it serves as practice) to make sure I dont get over powered eventhough I would prefer to use the Skins. So you end up with people picking the power teams to avoid getting into a game with the Bills vs the Steelers.

Seems to be the exact opposite of what you would want.

As for Ian's question. I would prefer they leave it completely as is and actually do some sort of update to online franchise.

Edit: LOL I cant even answer the poll with the limited answers/selections given. My answer is no but not becasue people will hate it.

Last edited by sb24; 11-29-2010 at 04:45 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »