Home

Moving back to an old Madden game..

This is a discussion on Moving back to an old Madden game.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Moving back to an old Madden game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeejay
I just got Madden 11 on psp and it is fantastic. It plays just like the ps2
versions but with up to date jerseys and rosters.

It has a great on field hot and cold system as well as weekly challenges that earn you points to upgrade players.

The feel of running is amazing, the players actually feel like they have weight and momentum.

This game also has the best duke in any sports game ever. Its a quick duke done by hitting triangle and makes only a small change of direction but you lose no speed. Feels so real.

Also, their are a ton of different breaktackle animations and they are all
great. There are short and longs ones and they can all be interupted by
defenders!!

I played through a the first year of my franchise in about 3 days and couldnt wait to start a new season, a feeling I havent had with Madden
since ps2!!

EDIT: And you can create your own plays and use them in franshise. I originally got this so I could try uploading set plays to Madden on ps3. I will never touch my ps3 copy again after playing this.

EDIT2: Mini camp is in the psp version, so I would think it would be in the ps2 version.
Thanks Ceejay. This sounds very interesting. I had forgotten about the possibility of the psp and the create a play transferring to the PS3 version. I'm going to look into this.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

As much as I played Madden 2005 and 2007 to death (must have played 5-6 seasons each on those titles) I can't go back to them. Not after Madden 2011. As much flack as 2011 gets it is the best playing Madden overall I have played. Plus my eyes are spoiled by HD now. I even have a tough time playing NFL2K5 these days. With NCAA 2011 and Madden 2011 I finally stopped playing my last gen football games. Hey it only took 6 years LOL.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 17

I know, I know...you must be all thinking that Im either absolutely nuts or dont know a thing about football. Well it may be neither, either, or both but I have to share this with everyone because it was sort of a guilty pleasure!

Last night after the Superbowl, I was getting that video game football itch that I normally do from time to time so I popped in Madden 11. I played about 3 drives and for some reason, that itch just turned into a painfully pus-filled wound. I just couldnt get into the game for some reason. So since I was still craving a little gridiron NFL, I turned to Madden 09 since I havent played it for so long.....

Well, let me just say this, it was like an adrenalin rush of sweet surprise for me...like biting into Fruit and Nut Cadbury chocolate bar you havent had for a long time. I mean right off the bat you notice the gameplay has a more organic wide and fluid feel to it. Different things seem to happen more often during the game. The player models are more varied and stylized in an exaggerated but more fluid way. Passing the rock felt much more varied and old school with more degrees of loft and zip you can control. And the whole experience was just all around more fun....I finished an entire game between 2 random teams that I didnt even care about because I felt the gameplay was more engaging and entertaining.

Now, I'm certain that this probably defies all sorts of Maddenonian Logic, that a game 2 versions earlier could be 'better' ...and perhaps better inst really even the proper term, but it was certainly more,....well, fun!

Can anyone therapy this for me?...have I gone completely mad or could there actually be some explanation for all this?

I actually want to now continue my old 09 Franchise and never play M11 again as a result!

Advice sorely needed!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
I know, I know...you must be all thinking that Im either absolutely nuts or dont know a thing about football. Well it may be neither, either, or both but I have to share this with everyone because it was sort of a guilty pleasure!

Last night after the Superbowl, I was getting that video game football itch that I normally do from time to time so I popped in Madden 11. I played about 3 drives and for some reason, that itch just turned into a painfully pus-filled wound. I just couldnt get into the game for some reason. So since I was still craving a little gridiron NFL, I turned to Madden 09 since I havent played it for so long.....

Well, let me just say this, it was like an adrenalin rush of sweet surprise for me...like biting into Fruit and Nut Cadbury chocolate bar you havent had for a long time. I mean right off the bat you notice the gameplay has a more organic wide and fluid feel to it. Different things seem to happen more often during the game. The player models are more varied and stylized in an exaggerated but more fluid way. Passing the rock felt much more varied and old school with more degrees of loft and zip you can control. And the whole experience was just all around more fun....I finished an entire game between 2 random teams that I didnt even care about because I felt the gameplay was more engaging and entertaining.

Now, I'm certain that this probably defies all sorts of Maddenonian Logic, that a game 2 versions earlier could be 'better' ...and perhaps better inst really even the proper term, but it was certainly more,....well, fun!

Can anyone therapy this for me?...have I gone completely mad or could there actually be some explanation for all this?

I actually want to now continue my old 09 Franchise and never play M11 again as a result!

Advice sorely needed!
The dissenting opinions on the current state of the game are well documented and plentiful...

This just popped up today:

http://www.operationsports.com/featu...een-a-success/

To address your post:

Firstly, I've read your posts around here for years, and while I don't always agree 100% with your assesments and observations, I have always had the opinion that you pretty much "know what you're looking at"...

So ya ain't crazy, IMHO...

I believe a lot of the reasons we tend to prefer one release of the series over another has to do with how well we were able to customize the experience...

Some years, I feel like I conquor the inevitable slider and workaround issues (great experience) and some years I feel I only got pretty close (meh experience)...

Some years the game plays better "out of the box" than others...

Sometimes it's as random as what team you choose to play as...

The default and custom roster ratings will not only have an effect on gameplay, but since gameplay can influence presentation (though cut scenes and replays, etc.) that can have a subtle but noticable effect as well...

Bottom line:

IMO, there's a ton of "moving parts" that can synch up to make one edition "feel" and (for that gamer) play better and engender a much more enjoyable experience...

Maybe it's something as simple as those "planets" lining up better for you with the '09 version...

Personally, I have 11 working better (for me) than anything since PS2 ' 05...

Granted, it was like a part time job for a month (and two dummy / test franchises) to get the rosters straight, the sim stat engine squared, the coach philosophy sliders right for sim and played games, sliders, etc. to get it to play "right" from me and there's a small precentage of folks who willingly put that kind of time in to make that happen...

I do all that every year, so it's second nature...I know what to look for and how to correct it and I know I'm going to have to do it...out of the box doesn't do it for me...

But hey, that's MY experience...

If you got '09 to "do it" for you without all that effort...congrats and ENJOY!

Happy gaming!

Last edited by KingV2k3; 02-07-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: more, more, more...:)
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
As much as I played Madden 2005 and 2007 to death (must have played 5-6 seasons each on those titles) I can't go back to them. Not after Madden 2011. As much flack as 2011 gets it is the best playing Madden overall I have played. Plus my eyes are spoiled by HD now. I even have a tough time playing NFL2K5 these days. With NCAA 2011 and Madden 2011 I finally stopped playing my last gen football games. Hey it only took 6 years LOL.
We definitely have the same views man. It still throws me off when I hear the complaints regarding Madden/NCAA 11. Both titles are pretty stellar if ya ask me. I want my presentation, better physics, and the rest of my helmet/facemasks combos also (Ion 4d ropo ub dw ), but overall the games are great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #22
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Personally I also played Madden 05-07 extensively, but have no trouble going back to SD to play Madden. One of my friends never switched to the current-gen consoles, so we often play Madden 08 (PS2) and it's a ton of fun. The playbooks are outstanding and the gameplay is pretty straight forward. However, unlike you I wasn't able to get many miles out of Madden 11. I just get this lackluster feeling when I play M10 and M11...
Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 12

I played two games last night of Madden 09 for PS3, and I have to say I enjoyed playing that game more then Madden 10 and 11. I sold both of those games pretty early after release, but I always kept 09.

Robo QB is pretty bad in 09, but I was still able to get 4 sacks each game I played, so I guess I don't have a problem that every once in a while a qb gets off a pass he shouldn't. I wouldn't want to beable to get 8 sacks a game.

The running game is pretty hard, but I think it makes it more fun. I had 80 yards with D. Mcfadden against the niners and about that with Parker playing the Bengals.

I remember sideline catches being a problem in 09, but last night I was doing user catch everytime and it seemed to work really good. The cpu still has an issue with this.

The main thing that sets this game apart from 10 and 11 is the tackling is SO MUCH BETTER. It isn't even close. I wish Madden would either get away from protak, or make it work alot better then it does.

In short, if you haven't played Madden 09 lately, you might want to go back and give it a shot. I played the first game without using the 2 controller trick, and then I played the second game using it. I don't know if there was a huge difference, but I think I will use the 2 controller thing in the future. I also had a somewhat updated roster from a guy by the name of Raiderboy. I think it must have been a roster with Madden 10 players/ratings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosynostosis
Old 02-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 17

Cool...thanks for the feedback on this...Also could you elaborate on this "2 controller trick" please and tell me what it is for?

Yes I think you hit most of what I also experienced right on the money. I dont think there's any doubt that Madden 11 is the more advanced engine technically and perhaps even getting more of those little gameplay quirks right (ie' sideline catches, proper rushing yds per game, correct QB completions and incompletions, etc) BUT what it fails to do is be as fun and immersive as Madden 09 is for me. The tackling, player models, animations, and fluidness of motion and player control seem superior in 09.

Even with all the little quirks and shortcommings in 09, it just has that better blend of video game football and simulation that makes the game more fun to play. At least for me.

09 Reminds me a bit of NFL FEVER. It had those fluid but exaggerated player models and it played a fun game of football. Running around the field is more entertaining and the tackling engine feels more solid. Overall players feel more grounded and demonstrate a better sense of weight.

I would hope IAN would at least revisit some of these Madden 09 elements and find a way to fuse them into the newer engine in M12

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »