Home

Timing and the CPU Passing Game

This is a discussion on Timing and the CPU Passing Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Timing and the CPU Passing Game

The CPU QB has no real sense of timing in the passing game. Routes such as Slants, Outs, Curls, and others are generally supposed to be thrown with perfect timing.

Couple of Issues:

--The CPU QB ALWAYS drifts to the right in the pocket in both Madden and NCAA making for some very awkward moments in the pocket. Sometimes this leads to off balance throws, or makes a simple throw to the left much more difficult because the QB has just moved farther from the target. Also results in LEs generally becoming better sack artists than REs. I know this is a known issue by EA, but it needs to be fixed.

--WRs don't work to get open on certain routes, curls in particular. The curl/flat plays are a great example of the WRs running their routes, and then just standing there, not working to get open. Since the CPU QB does not throw the curl on time, the WR often just stands there and the CB just stands behind the WR. The curl/flat is often one of the oddest plays in the game against the CPU.

--The CPU QB has very little idea of when to use touch in the passing game. Out route are thrown as lobs and "Go" routes are thrown as bullets. The "Go" routes are often thrown after the WRs are 40-50 yards downfield instead of being thrown with some arc trying to lead the WR.

--The CPU QB has no "progression" and generally has no idea who his best players are. The CPU QB is basically trained to just know when WRs are open, regardless of who he is. That's why we see so many throws to the slot and TE in both Madden and NCAA. They generally uncover quicker than the outside WRs, so they get the ball more often. The CPU QB needs to understand if he has a stud outside WR and he needs to get him the ball. We also see way too many throws to the FB in the flat that are lobbed with the FB just waiting for the ball. Some kind of progression and/or general awareness of the team's personnel needs to be added.

--The CPU QB often has no idea he is throwing a screen pass and throws it WAY too late.

Couple Examples:

The Stick Route Animation needs to be quicker.

The stick route is clearly and NFL staple but it is not well timed up with the QB's drop. The TE/WR takes way too long to turn around and find the ball. The stick is generally thrown right on time in real life and when it is thrown on time in Madden, the TE/WR is never ready to catch the ball.

Also, the stick route is generally not just run the same way every time. It is often run as an option route where the WR/TE can turn or drift depending on the defense.

Photobucket

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Timing and the CPU Passing Game

I agree with almost everything your saying because alot of that does happen. But what level are you playing on? I noticed if your playing on an all-pro level the CPU tends to lob the ball more and wait too long before they throw the deep ball and on an all-madden level there more precise with there passing both with the short and deep passing and the get the ball off quicker on screens. But your making a lot of good points that EA do need to take a look at. Especially the CPU rolling to the right all the time to throw the ball. That is the worst..
Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
I agree with almost everything your saying because alot of that does happen. But what level are you playing on? I noticed if your playing on an all-pro level the CPU tends to lob the ball more and wait too long before they throw the deep ball and on an all-madden level there more precise with there passing both with the short and deep passing and the get the ball off quicker on screens. But your making a lot of good points that EA do need to take a look at. Especially the CPU rolling to the right all the time to throw the ball. That is the worst..
I'm referring to All Pro level because it's supposed to be the most realistic level of Madden.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
I'm referring to All Pro level because it's supposed to be the most realistic level of Madden.
Ok well thats why your having that problem then. Try some all-madden level sliders and you won't have some of those problems your seeing. They make the CPU QB play like that to make the game easier for people on all-pro. There's nothing realistic about the game play on all-pro at all. Too much high scoring form the USER if your a decent player. Its more for beginners or for people who haven't played the game for a long time in my opinion.

But like I said you still make alot of good points that needs to be addressed by EA anyway. Some of that still happens on all-madden level sliders. But the CPUs QB definitely has better touch on the ball on deep routes and doesn't throw too many of those slow lob up passes your mentioning like it does on all-pro. Also the CPU finds the best WR on the field most of the time on an all-madden slider. He isn't just checking down to the slot WR or TE like your experiencing. Try one of the all-madden sliders out and you will see the difference.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
--The CPU QB has no "progression" and generally has no idea who his best players are. The CPU QB is basically trained to just know when WRs are open, regardless of who he is. That's why we see so many throws to the slot and TE in both Madden and NCAA. They generally uncover quicker than the outside WRs, so they get the ball more often. The CPU QB needs to understand if he has a stud outside WR and he needs to get him the ball. We also see way too many throws to the FB in the flat that are lobbed with the FB just waiting for the ball. Some kind of progression and/or general awareness of the team's personnel needs to be added.
This is the only one I'd disagree with, at least in my experiences. I'd say that since M10, the CPU offense has made better use of their star players. If I play against Arizona as an example, I know that many passes are going into Fitzgerald's direction (provided he's in some position to make a play).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

Good job, Palo. Timing is an aspect that definitely needs to be addressed. Not only does the CPU do a bad job of throwing the ball on time, but many routes in the playbooks are not run at right depth, thus making it nearly impossible to time them correctly.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
This is the only one I'd disagree with, at least in my experiences. I'd say that since M10, the CPU offense has made better use of their star players. If I play against Arizona as an example, I know that many passes are going into Fitzgerald's direction (provided he's in some position to make a play).
I agree with you the best WR always gets the ball on whatever team I'm playing. The CPU plays so dumb on all-pro they probably do throw it to whoever. I don't have this problem. But I agree with alot of other things he's trying to point out but all-pro is the reason he's experience some of those things he mentioned especially those slow lob up passes on out routes and throws to the fullback.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
I'd have to disagree with this statement...all madden (with good sliders) feels way more real. All pro feels like an arcade game to me....and online at all pro? It seems the guy that throws the first incomplete pass losses! The Qb's almost never miss and regularly complete 85% of their passes. Try all madden...I've not seem much of what you are having problems with and the ones' I've seen have been few and far between.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »