Home

What makes a Packer different than a Rocket?

This is a discussion on What makes a Packer different than a Rocket? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: What makes a Packer different than a Rocket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
See, I disagree here. I think Charlie Weis is a good example; when he went to Notre Dame, their fundamentals went in the toilet. It happens a lot when pro coaches go to the college ranks. I think a lot of NFL coaches are going for Weis' "schematic advantage" and don't pay a ton of attention to those fundamentals because the players, in their minds, should already have those by the time they get to that level.

There's a misconception (I believe) that NFL coaches are as much better than a major college coach as Peyton Manning is better than a college quarterback. Outside of the Walsh's and Lombardi's, I don't believe that's true.
One thing that most NFL coaches is that they are extremely detailed. They have extremely high expectations in what they want their players to do, and, their players do what they are coached to do (which is the sign of good-coaching at any level). Sure, there are some coach's that are better than others, but for the most part, bad coaches don't last long.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 9

Step One

So we've talked about the stance, triple extension and leverage. Now we need to talk about movement. And, of course, all movement starts with 1 step.

One of the biggest differences between our theoretical Rockets and Packers is that first step. The cliche of football being a game of inches still holds true, and one of the best ways to gain or lose an inch is taking a false step.

What is a false step? It's taking a step to gain balance/traction before you get moving in the direction you want to go. Usually this manifest itself in stepping backwards before stepping forward. Or taking a step in place (maybe turning your foot) before taking off.

Consider the MLB on a stretch play to his right. He sits in his nice stance. There's the snap, he reads the block and knows he has to get to his gap. That LG and LT know they have to get to the MLB (Combo on the DT, one needs to come off and get that LB). The MLB knows that block is coming. In the end, it's essentially a race.

If the MLB takes a nice 6 inch shuffle step with his right foot and gets into a nice "scrape" (be it a cross-over run or a true shuffle, it's a matter of preference) he will be in good shape.

If the MLB takes his left foot, drops it back 2 inches to gain his balance and then breaks into his shuffle, he's lost valuable time. That 2 inch gap (which, in time, is closer to 5 inches "lost") is a big deal. That could be the difference between the tackle getting his head across the LB (and his 330 pound frame between the LB and his gap) or that tackle only getting a body on him (letting the LB shed and stay in pursuit). 5 inches is the difference between the left number on the jersey and the right number, but in terms of force the tackle can use on block. It's the difference between the tackle getting his 800 pound squat into the LB, or just his 500 pound bench press.

This same effect occurs all over the field. A DE who can take a great first step can "gain" 6 inches on his pass rush, letting him get into the upfield shoulder of the pass blocker. A false-stepper is going to run right into Michael Ohers chest.

The inverse is also true, a pass blocker who gets his feet crossed at the line is going to struggle to gain his depth against that pass rusher who is running the arc.

For a DB, this can be even more damaging. A false step during the press can mean a 2 yard separation, which is a TD again Desean Jackson. Against the WR, who already has the advantage of knowing the pattern, giving up an additional half-yard because of a false step can be insurmountable.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #19
Rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrLQ4pAMjKw

Not sure how to embed these videos, or I would.

This is a neat little video of TCU vs Utah with a nice camera angle. The first play is supposed to be a trap play, or maybe a gut, but either the tackle or guard blew the assignment. Between those two they need to block the DT (who is slanting) and the PSILB, but they both block the tackle.

Lots of goodies to see here though.
First, watch the battle of the Nose tackle and the center. Look at the center being over-extended and bending at the waiste, vs the nose tackle who takes a great first step, and stays in his stance. He easily splits the double team and gets in on the tackle because of his great leverage.

Then look at both ILBs. No false steps (albeit, the PSILB hops a little). They get into the hole extremely fast, both beating their blockers. Then watch #41 on the tackle, good stance, good balance and delivers a solid shot.

All sorts of great fundamentals in that clip. That's why TCU had the best defense in the nation and is goign to put nearly the entire unit into the NFL.

Lets look at the second play.

The first thing to notice is TCU's #57, taking a great lateral step on his slant, staying low, and putting Utah's guard on his rear. It's stance creating leverage. Along with the leverage standpoint, watch the guard's footwork (#54 for Utah). He is reach blocking to his right, but his first step is with his left foot. The TCU's DT is slanting to his left (and his first step is with his left foot). The defender, by winning that first step, gets his head across the blocker and destroys that block.

Next, look at TCU's BSILB (#43). His first step is solid, he read flow and took a short little step, downhill, playside. Once he finished reading the play, he runs though his gap on a stretch play away from him. Utah's LT is trying to reach him on the second level, but his good first step allowed him to beat the blocker without being touch. That is the cutback block, the one that the coaches upstairs see, and call the designed cutback, those are the big, big runs in a zone-style running game.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #20
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian
Not sure how to embed these videos, or I would.
Right under the video are the words "Embed" Click that, it will ask you for what size you want the video to embed at and then copy the code to paste here.

I find that it does not work for me with Internet Explorer, but it does with Firefox and others.

Small

Medium

Large

and then there is one size larger I don't like to use here at OS.

Last edited by PGaither84; 02-05-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #21
Rookie

Thanks PGaither. I tried copy/pasting the embed link, but it wasn't working. Just keep getting this...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #22
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian
Thanks PGaither. I tried copy/pasting the embed link, but it wasn't working. Just keep getting this...
Depends on what program you are using to embed the link. As I said, it doesn't work for me when using Internet Explorer [which is what I am using right now] so I had to switch over to Firefox to get those to work properly. When I use IE, I get the same thing you do. What are you using? I think Google Chrome is supposed to work as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »