Home

Have a huge QB dilemma, care to help?

This is a discussion on Have a huge QB dilemma, care to help? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2003, 03:33 PM   #1
Champs!

Kearnzo's Arena

OVR: 18
Have a huge QB dilemma, care to help?

Alright, here's the story. I am doing a fantasy draft Owner Mode with the Texans, and am starting up year 3. Before year 2, I picked up Champ Bailey in FA to bolster my defense. Well, in preseason, he got hurt for the year. So, when the year was said and done, he was all the way down to a 90 with two years on his contract, but during the season, Al Harris took over for him and did awesome, and got up to an 88. So I dumped Bailey for the Number 1 pick in the draft and got rid of his HUGE salary. So, the draft comes around, and the best player is a QB. I scouted him in everything, and all of my personnel said he was great at everything, so I COULDN'T pass his up, even though I probably should have gotten a D-Lineman. So, I picked him, locked him up for 5 years I think, and he started as an 84! Problem is, I have Michael Vick, a 99. At the end of this coming year, Vick will be a FA, and will no doubt ask for HUGE HUGE money.

Here's my dilemma. Vick is AWESOME. He has been a Pro Bowler every year, but he might be just too much money for my team. Should I let Vick go after the season and continue with my rookie, who is now a 85 after training camp and is 4 years younger than Vick? Or, should I try to stick with Vick and be tight on money for years? I gotta admit, this is really a win-win situation, I just have no idea what to do.

What are your guys opinions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2003, 03:38 PM   #2
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Have a huge QB dilemma, care to help?

If keeping Vick will cost you 3 or 4 other starters/key backups, then I'd say that's the only reason you wouldn't keep him. When you've got the best player in the game, you usually want to try to hold onto him, but there are some rare cases where you just can't afford it, and unless you just simply can't afford him, you should try to hold onto him.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:42 PM   #3
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I'd cut Vick, but that's just me. I can't stand having a backup good enough to start on another team just sitting on my bench and VIck is a hefty chunk of the salary. If u are playing the games, make sure that QB matches your style. I know I couldn't care too much less about QB scrambling ability, so I don't bother with that. But some people like that ability to avoid the pressure, but it seems to backfire on my as I will take off as soon as a see an opening which often is filled by time I get to it and I'm screwed.

So it's up to you, but I'd cut or do a sign and trade with Vick after the year to improve a more needed position.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:52 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

id play the season with vick, see how much hes asks for. if u resign him then trade the other guy or somethin. if you dont resign him hes your new starter. but dont forget its always nice to have 2 good qbs on your team. you never know when vick might get hurt
Old 08-16-2003, 04:59 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

I would keep the rookie QB and develop him through the Mini Camp option, it may take a few years, but in the long run your better off
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2003, 05:05 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I would probably try to sign Vick to a one or two year deal after his current one expires and see how your Rookie develops. Start the rookie in all your pre-season games and build him up through mini-camp. See how he looks in a few seasons then decide.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:09 PM   #7
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

TarHeelBorn said:
I would keep the rookie QB and develop him through the Mini Camp option, it may take a few years, but in the long run your better off

In the long run there is no way the rookie QB will ever be as good as Vick...he said he's a 99 and he's probably 26 or something around there, the rookie is an 80 something at 21-22 probably, he almost certainly won't be a 99 by his 4th or 5th season....there's no way the rookie will be as good as vick so keep that in mind.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:49 PM   #8
MVP

Meatloaf86's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:

CM1847 said:
Quote:

TarHeelBorn said:

In the long run there is no way the rookie QB will ever be as good as Vick...he said he's a 99 and he's probably 26 or something around there, the rookie is an 80 something at 21-22 probably, he almost certainly won't be a 99 by his 4th or 5th season....there's no way the rookie will be as good as vick so keep that in mind.

no true. i drafted Byron Leftwich in a fantasy draft and after training camp and preseason he's a 93. on my other memory card i have a franchise with him as the QB and he's a 98 after 2 years. he's darn good in this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »