Home

Is this sim?

This is a discussion on Is this sim? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Running QA straight for the sideline to wait for a receiver to get an open, is it sim
Yes, it's sim 9 23.08%
It's cheesy 30 76.92%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Is this sim?

I was playing a dude in a league playoff game and almost everytime he was in shotgun he would immediately take off with his QB for the sideline and sit there until one of his receivers broke open. I know this is done quite a bit in lobby play but in a sim league, do you think this should be allowed. Keep in mind there is no blitz on the play just a 3 man rush.

Poll should say QB not QA.

Last edited by Knowlegist; 01-31-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Is this sim?

Then blitz? Don't give him the option to do that.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

Not to be all philosophical but the whole notion of what is "sim" in Madden just seems out of place at this point, IMO. What I mean is until the game actually has the right balance of risk/reward, enforcing penalties, tuning pass rushing, better player interaction, etc, people will do what they can get away with. I do not find any satisfaction in just winning, only in winning within the rules. However, some people just want to win by any means necessary and if the game allows it, they will do it.

That's actually not that different from the real NFL where teams will do whatever they can get away with. Think about DBs grabbing WR's jerseys and WRs hooking DB's arms to make it look like they are being held. It is on the refs in real life to catch these things and enforce the rules. I am really beginning to feel the same way about Madden, it's on the guys that create the game to get the rules enforced in the game.

I really feel where you are coming from and I absolutely despise playing anyone that takes advantage of these type things. But I think it's pretty obvious that if the real NFL risk/reward system was the same as Madden's, the NFL would be just as cheesy.

I am honestly starting to think expecting other gamers to simulate real NFL tactics in a game that lacks so many core NFL elements, is unreasonable. I really long for the day when gamers have to use real football to be successful in this game instead of Madden football.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Sending only 3 is ill advised. Sending 4 isn't a blitz. Sending 5+ is. I have a basic "let's talk defense" video mini series that you can find through My Arena here at OS. The core idea, especially in Madden, is to call plays where you are "always" sending at least 4 pass rushers of some sort at the QB on any given play. Also, try to avoid plays where a defensive lineman, specifically a 3-4 lineman, drops into coverage. in real life this is done to confuse the pass protection and the QB into assuming a lineman is coming, so that when they see a blitzing linebacker, they throw into a space that is now covered by a lineman [Raji island]

So while this does work in the NFL, at the highest level at that [Championship game,] you are not really going to fool a madden player or the computer QB. Instead you really just drop a lineman who has poor coverage skills and slow speed into coverage [not good]

If you do see a play you like with a defensive lineman dropping into coverage, try quickly hot routing him into a blitz while you drop a linebacker into coverage, or just send that extra man. Madden is a game of dice rolls at it's core. It helps to have at least 4 defensive players rolling the dice to see if they shed a block instead of only 3.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Has nothing to do with the play described, but Madden cannot be played "sim". The AI and animations don't allow for this.

Regarding the play described, no, running to the sideline everytime is not sim. Neither is restricting what an offense can do.

Maybe because I don't play online, but I'm starting to like these online cheesers. They expose many flaws in the game. Let's all hope they inspire more real improvements & less band-aids. Until then, I hope the league players can come up with enough sim rules to enjoy themselves.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

In lobby games anything goes. Just the way that it is. In a Lg. Game thats garbage! That's not sim , That's just an exploit of Maddens weak AI
Old 01-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 Proof
Not to be all philosophical but the whole notion of what is "sim" in Madden just seems out of place at this point, IMO. What I mean is until the game actually has the right balance of risk/reward, enforcing penalties, tuning pass rushing, better player interaction, etc, people will do what they can get away with. I do not find any satisfaction in just winning, only in winning within the rules. However, some people just want to win by any means necessary and if the game allows it, they will do it.

That's actually not that different from the real NFL where teams will do whatever they can get away with. Think about DBs grabbing WR's jerseys and WRs hooking DB's arms to make it look like they are being held. It is on the refs in real life to catch these things and enforce the rules. I am really beginning to feel the same way about Madden, it's on the guys that create the game to get the rules enforced in the game.

I really feel where you are coming from and I absolutely despise playing anyone that takes advantage of these type things. But I think it's pretty obvious that if the real NFL risk/reward system was the same as Madden's, the NFL would be just as cheesy.

I am honestly starting to think expecting other gamers to simulate real NFL tactics in a game that lacks so many core NFL elements, is unreasonable. I really long for the day when gamers have to use real football to be successful in this game instead of Madden football.
Most gamers are trying to win, period. Many times, the first tactics they learn are the cheesy tactics because they're the easiest. These tactics shouldn't be possible in the game. The game needs to require gamers to use realistic football tactics to be successful. Making up house rules, and what not, just kills the gaming experience for me.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 36

Rule of thumb when asking "is that sim?"

If you have to ask, it probably isn't.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »