Home

Madden 12 extra disc space solution?

This is a discussion on Madden 12 extra disc space solution? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Madden 12 extra disc space solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
I don't ever want lack of disc space to be an excuse for things not getting done, that's just a lazy answer by developers.
Disc space IS NOT THE PROBLEM. RAM is, and the developers can't do anything about that. They have to be as smart as they can with it, and they've decided to have 22 heavily detailed players running around. From that, they have a baseline of the RAM they've got, and they have to work with what's left.

I'm not that guy who says that you have to write a football game if you want to say the developers are lazy, but I'm really starting to get sick of calling developers lazy. Developing software is hard. You don't get to be a developer for EA and be lazy. It just doesn't work like that. You've got some of the smartest people working as hard as they can to scrimp every megabyte of RAM out of a system, and you call them lazy? Really?

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Ram shouldn't be a problem APF 2k8 has more animation and full blown sidelines and its the same console so what gives?
the graphics are a bit weaker but I can deal with that.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by scores87
Ram shouldn't be a problem APF 2k8 has more animation and full blown sidelines and its the same console so what gives?
APF and Madden have different utilization of RAM in gameplay. There were decisions made by influential members of both teams on what to focus on with the RAM.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
The graphics in AFF2k8 have no detail, player models are very generic. I would say thats one of the major differences with EA and 2ks football title man. Thats just something I dont think they are willing to sacrifice at the moment.(Graphics)
Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #13
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25
A lot of this has to do with the fact that the PS3 and the 360 are two totally different consoles, as well as the RAM issue.

RAM can't be the biggest thing holding EA back, as MLB The Show has been able to get better, and they're almost on a similar scale when it comes to player models (18 fully detailed players, +40,000 fans, two managers, etc.). Bottom line, the PS3 requires more dev effort. I can bet my life savings that the PS3 version of Madden doesn't even use the 6 SPE's available, as well as the CPU... and why should they? When the 360 version runs fine on just one CPU, why spend all the extra resources and hours to figure out the PS3?

It's a combination of things: disc space is more about the amount of content. But RAM, CPU power, and console differences play a role as well...
Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
My 'F'ing gawd. If I hear about APF 2kWhatever one more time...

Look, if Madden came out tomorrow and looked and played like APF 2k8, or any other nostalgic favorite game, this board would freaking implode.

Rose colored glasses people. Geezus.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
I'm thinking the Madden team can possibly free up disc space by getting rid of the onfield player celebration cut scenes and just have it all execute in real time. It actually looks better that way in my opinion.

Keep the sideline/coach cutscenes but get rid of the onfield cutscenes.
You all tracking with me on that? Thoughts?
Madden 11 only used 77% of disc space, it isn't the problem.

I think the reasons they don't have things like players celebrating on the sideline like APF, are probably the developers emphasis on HQ graphics while maintaining a higher frame rate and coding that doesn't make use of RAM efficiently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by havokeff
My 'F'ing gawd. If I hear about APF 2kWhatever one more time...

Look, if Madden came out tomorrow and looked and played like APF 2k8, or any other nostalgic favorite game, this board would freaking implode.

Rose colored glasses people. Geezus.
It's not rose colored. In many ways even Madden itself isn't as good as it used to be on last generation.

To use generalities, 2k games play better on the field while EA games play better off. Madden's franchise mode, playbooks, etc are better imo. The game play is apples and oranges though.

Heck, Madden 10 and 11 actually LAG in off-line play! Totally unacceptable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »