Home

EA posts massive quarterly loss; implications for Madden?

This is a discussion on EA posts massive quarterly loss; implications for Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Rookie

davjaffe's Arena

OVR: 6
EA posts massive quarterly loss; implications for Madden?

Any thoughts on if/how this may affect the continued growth and development of Madden?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: EA posts massive quarterly loss; implications for Madden?

You'll see less games, but a better quality output to get more money in. All the arcade like games and such will be a thing of the past. They will concentrate on quality games now. They got too big for their britches and paying a price now.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I don't think it will hurt Madden. There was a thread in the NCAA football section about another company making a football game. Some guy posted sales numbers and Madden 11 sold 5 million plus around the world. That's big numbers for a sports game.

What I see is EA will start to streamline products. They will get rid of the products that don't sale. It may have an effect on future products. Games that have a small market may get canned. They will only produce games that will make them money.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 7

I love how people see EA losing money and think that it's the death of Madden.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5000
I love how people see EA losing money and think that it's the death of Madden.
For real you don't kill the products that make you money. You kill the products that don't. You look for ways to cut cost and cut dead weight. Madden and FIFA are tops in sales for all sports games so why take away from them. They cut the games that don't sale well. They may also cut the number of systems they make games for. In business you don't cut a product that makes you money or take away from it. You cut the products that are not preforming are have poor sales. I don't know what the sales of games like Tiger Woods & NHL might be, or if NBA Elite will get off the ground but that is where I would look first.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 28

It would probably benefit them to rid themselves of the exclusive license. It's too expensive, and it has not worked out for them as far as increasing sales. The bottom line, better quality (in any product) usually equals better sales. They should just quit the exclusive, save that money, reinvest some into madden making it better and be done with it. Exclusives are not necessary, the same people who follow Madden will buy it anyway. If it's a good game, the more frugal folks will buy it also. When there were multiple companies with the license, many folks would buy ALL of the games. I did that for a while, myself.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Yea Taz just buy rights and not exclustivity for nfl and nflpa and ncaa they will be fine, I think nhl proved that
Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
It would probably benefit them to rid themselves of the exclusive license. It's too expensive, and it has not worked out for them as far as increasing sales. The bottom line, better quality (in any product) usually equals better sales. They should just quit the exclusive, save that money, reinvest some into madden making it better and be done with it. Exclusives are not necessary, the same people who follow Madden will buy it anyway. If it's a good game, the more frugal folks will buy it also. When there were multiple companies with the license, many folks would buy ALL of the games. I did that for a while, myself.
Actually the exclusive deal did increase their sales from a projected ZERO without the deal to what ever they have now.

I am sure EA would rather be where they are now with a football game than where Visual Concepts is with theirs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »