Home

Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #25
Rookie

taboo102's Arena

OVR: 0
I have high hopes for Madden 12 because the slogan "True to the game" (I think that's what it was) is a lot more hopeful than last years slogan (which had the word "simpler" in it) I'm also hoping that NBA 2k11 was a wake up call to the Madden team that they are the only ones half-assing it, but I'm sure I'll be disappointed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 AM   #26
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Did you by chance play NCAA '11 or NHL '11? If so, then I don't see how anyone could call tuner sets a gimmick. Both games benefitted significantly from tuner sets over the course of the games life.
I agree 100% CB.

Tuner sets imo also, are certainly not a "gimmick".

I have no experience myself with the NCAA game. But have played NHL religiously for the last two years. And I agree that the tuner sets helped nicely, to refine NHL's game play. And it is a great benefit, to have the choice of tuners that you personally prefer. With NHL '11'...there are eight different tuners to chose from. So the variety of tuners is very welcome.

If done well...I think tuner sets will be a very nice addition to Madden '12'.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:03 AM   #27
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

I don't really see any of these as being features.

The tuner sets are essentially just a new and faster way for the developers to correct things they should have done in development - nice, but a bigger deal for EA than for the consumers, IMO.

Surprise onside kick is just a new addition to the playbook, which is hardly a feature by any means. That'll be like calling a play-action pass or a fleaflicker for a feature instead of a play.

Also what's the deal with limiting it to one time per game?? It that EA's new approach? "Sorry, but in Madden 12 you can only throw 14 deep balls per game and 7 times in the flats, otherwise people might exploit the game." I'd settle for some adaptive AI that recognizes that people are using "surprise" onside kicks--can't really call it a surprise if people use it once per game anyway.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #28
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Tuner sets are huge for the consumer as well. If running backs are only avg 3.2 yds per carry across the board, tuner set time. I'm a big stat person and I respect everyone's opinion, but for me, the stat nut, this a huge feature.

Also, just because they release info in small amounts early on, doesn't mean there isn't something that looms larger, game play, presentation and franchise wise down the road.

Some people are trying to compare SOK's to what's behind door #1, door #2 and door #3. Pretty difficult to judge when there isn't anything to compare it with.

For example, it's much easier for me to look and compare franchise info in May and put it up against SOK's in early February.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 15

I maybe wrong but the tuner sets just sounds like sliders to me? I've always hated how Madden doesn't have there sliders set up like the other sports game and don't seem to work like the other ones. IDK fellas, this is Madden hype train starting its engine and I just get tired of jumping aboard every year for this stuff. I just want to finally play a fun SIM football game with the feel of im watching a real NFL game in action. I get that feeling with basketball and baseball with NBA2K11 and MLB The show, I want this in NFL football.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
I maybe wrong but the tuner sets just sounds like sliders to me?
I agree that some sliders don't work, especially the penalty sliders. Maybe with these tuner sets, the penalty sliders will finally work the way they are suppose to work.

I do though only disagree with the above statement.

This is a sentence from Ian's halftime blog;

This isn't the only thing in the tuner sets obviously...we are in the process of moving as many items into these as possible, from gameplay tuning to franchise data to even presentation aspects.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #31
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Tuner sets are huge for the consumer as well. If running backs are only avg 3.2 yds per carry across the board, tuner set time. I'm a big stat person and I respect everyone's opinion, but for me, the stat nut, this a huge feature.

Also, just because they release info in small amounts early on, doesn't mean there isn't something that looms larger, game play, presentation and franchise wise down the road.

Some people are trying to compare SOK's to what's behind door #1, door #2 and door #3. Pretty difficult to judge when there isn't anything to compare it with.

For example, it's much easier for me to look and compare franchise info in May and put it up against SOK's in early February.
Right Road, most of the time in madden when it comes to patches alot of it could have been fixed through tuner updates. But really man like you said its Feb and people come out the woodwork to complain about a game that doesn't come out til August
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 6
I'm sorry but a special about On-side kicks... Uggg, it would be like if The Show did a special on their new bat boy animation.

I really hope, Ian and company have alot more surpises coming up because currently it appears I'm going to be waiting on Madden another year (I last bought madden in 2008).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »