Home

Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer) within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #49
One Pride
 
TracerBullet's Arena
 
OVR: 37
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: University Place, WA
Posts: 22,266
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
I don't really see any of these as being features.

The tuner sets are essentially just a new and faster way for the developers to correct things they should have done in development - nice, but a bigger deal for EA than for the consumers, IMO.

Surprise onside kick is just a new addition to the playbook, which is hardly a feature by any means. That'll be like calling a play-action pass or a fleaflicker for a feature instead of a play.

Also what's the deal with limiting it to one time per game?? It that EA's new approach? "Sorry, but in Madden 12 you can only throw 14 deep balls per game and 7 times in the flats, otherwise people might exploit the game." I'd settle for some adaptive AI that recognizes that people are using "surprise" onside kicks--can't really call it a surprise if people use it once per game anyway.
They limit it to one time per game because they know the majority of people don't want to deal with it happening every kickoff when they play online. I personally feel they shouldn't limit it offline, but I can definitely see why on the online limit. And these aren't back of the box features, just a small bit of info that is actually more at this point than last year's half-time blog. And last time I checked, most sports games do still get patches to fix things. Tuner sets allow them to fix things without having to wait 8 weeks for a patch. They are an upgrade in that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieV
Like Gameflow? Here's a link to the "first details and screens" that IGN ran last March 23rd -- which focused on a new Catch Debugging Tool.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1079303p1.html

My only point is, maybe it doesn't always pay to say we're still a long ways from launch and to just wait on the bigger guns. Sometimes, we can get an idea early what's in store (or not).
Last year's first Madden info also came at halftime at the Super Bowl and it was a video of Ian introducing the Madden developers pretty much.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
I feel weird for liking a post about exposed penises.
TracerBullet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #50
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Sep 2009
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

"tuner sets are perfect because you can make the change, get it in the game in a couple of days, and then gauge the reaction from that and make changes accordingly."

How many years will Tiburon pee on us and tell us it's raining? Right here, in candy-sweet phrasing, they're saying "we'll throw some quick code at a bug, bypass all the QA processes, force you to download and install our "tuner", and then let you test it for us. Hopefully it won't melt your console down, but if it does just remember that we're not liable!! BTW: Thanks ever so much for that $60 you paid for the privilege of being our beta test dummy!"

I have never heard such a blatant statement from a developer about how they were going to screw the consumer. All that 'time-consuming' approval process exists to try and ensure that the "fix" doesn't actually break the game - and it fails an abysmally large percentage of the time! Now Tiburon wants to bypass that even that flawed attempt at quality control and make you believe that they're doing you a favor.

I guess for 13 we'll get the chance to pay them for the privilege of cleaning their offices, too.....

But, I must admit, I'm sooo very glad that they decided to justify my $60 by adding surprise onside kicks - such a critical element of the game! - instead of fixing the physics, the franchise mode, correct penalty enforcement, custom playbooks......

Last edited by AnonTech; 02-11-2011 at 03:16 AM.
AnonTech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:18 AM   #51
Banned
 
OVR: 6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

Already seen the horror of these tuners thanks to the Fight Night Champion demo... yuck =/

Great if used properly... in EA's hands... not so confident.
St. Chaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #52
MVP
 
youALREADYknow's Arena
 
OVR: 28
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 3,629
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

After experiencing and witnessing the horror that was NCAA tuner sets, I can confidently state the following:

NCAA/Madden football gamers produce better gameplay "balance" than tuner sets produced by Tiburon can provide.

Tiburon should only focus on non-slider related tweaks with their tuner sets. Franchise logic, super simming, penalties, and minor bug fixes should be the only things included in these tuners. They should save the online "default" gameplay changes for major patches when everyone knows and expects major change.

Otherwise, they merely produce different gameplay results every few weeks which completely destroys the consistency of the game throughout the season.
youALREADYknow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #53
MVP
 
OVR: 15
Join Date: Mar 2009
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonTech
"tuner sets are perfect because you can make the change, get it in the game in a couple of days, and then gauge the reaction from that and make changes accordingly."

How many years will Tiburon pee on us and tell us it's raining? Right here, in candy-sweet phrasing, they're saying "we'll throw some quick code at a bug, bypass all the QA processes, force you to download and install our "tuner", and then let you test it for us. Hopefully it won't melt your console down, but if it does just remember that we're not liable!! BTW: Thanks ever so much for that $60 you paid for the privilege of being our beta test dummy!"

I have never heard such a blatant statement from a developer about how they were going to screw the consumer. All that 'time-consuming' approval process exists to try and ensure that the "fix" doesn't actually break the game - and it fails an abysmally large percentage of the time! Now Tiburon wants to bypass that even that flawed attempt at quality control and make you believe that they're doing you a favor.

I guess for 13 we'll get the chance to pay them for the privilege of cleaning their offices, too.....

But, I must admit, I'm sooo very glad that they decided to justify my $60 by adding surprise onside kicks - such a critical element of the game! - instead of fixing the physics, the franchise mode, correct penalty enforcement, custom playbooks......
Wow, this is one of the most sour posts I've seen in a while. We are about 7 months away from Madden releasing, so how do we know if they haven't improved physics, franchise mode, penalties, playbooks, etc.? I'm glad we got solid information this early in the year, instead of last year when the half time blog was about the team's vision. These two additions are HUGE IMO. Besides, Ian said he spent an afternoon basically putting it in the game. And tuners will help fix things and tune the game instead of having to wait 6 weeks for a patch to fix small things that a tuner can fix right away. I just can't believe people can take positive things and turn it around and make it a negative thing. I just don't see how tuners and adding more realism like surprise onside kicks are a bad thing whatsoever.
huskerwr38 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #54
Rookie
 
falconfansince81's Arena
 
OVR: 3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Youngstown, OH
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

i think its more of the potentiall unrealistic transition of SOK's into the video game world that has people sour husker, not that it isn't a good thing ian (seemingly against his will) spent the time to add something else we see on sunday...on 2% of kickoffs...but nonetheless.

from what i've been reading a lot of people seem to think there's a lot more important things we see on sunday that still have yet to make the cut, or be brought back in. i'm one of those people, but it won't do any good to argue my point as there are plenty offline players that probably like this idea and besides...its too early too pass judgment on m12.

i suppose tuners could either be a great asset or a disaster based on how well they're implemented. the SOK i know will probably be banned in our sim leagues anyways so it doesn't bother me. ea's never came out the gate with their main feature, but they did achieve their goal of the blog and generate discussion for m12.
falconfansince81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #55
MVP
 
OVR: 19
Join Date: Jan 2005
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Wow, this is one of the most sour posts I've seen in a while. We are about 7 months away from Madden releasing, so how do we know if they haven't improved physics, franchise mode, penalties, playbooks, etc.? I'm glad we got solid information this early in the year, instead of last year when the half time blog was about the team's vision. These two additions are HUGE IMO. Besides, Ian said he spent an afternoon basically putting it in the game. And tuners will help fix things and tune the game instead of having to wait 6 weeks for a patch to fix small things that a tuner can fix right away. I just can't believe people can take positive things and turn it around and make it a negative thing. I just don't see how tuners and adding more realism like surprise onside kicks are a bad thing whatsoever.
People think these things will get dropped left and right soon as the community finds things wrong. Get ready for a big surprise!!!

Well NCAA side gave us a glimps of this feature. It's a nice concept, but as usual, the implementation is not there. Something will be tweaked somewhat better alright, but something also will be tweaked worse. It's a simple cause and affect.

This we do know from the NCAA side concerning Tuners.
After spending $60, more time was spent tweaking sliders/ratings before and after each Tuner release, than actually playing the game.

Remember, what seems realistic to one gamer, will not be the same for another.
And when a Tuner changes an aspect you felt was "Realistic", will you be as ecstatic?
khaliib is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #56
One Pride
 
TracerBullet's Arena
 
OVR: 37
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: University Place, WA
Posts: 22,266
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
People think these things will get dropped left and right soon as the community finds things wrong. Get ready for a big surprise!!!

Well NCAA side gave us a glimps of this feature. It's a nice concept, but as usual, the implementation is not there. Something will be tweaked somewhat better alright, but something also will be tweaked worse. It's a simple cause and affect.

This we do know from the NCAA side concerning Tuners.
After spending $60, more time was spent tweaking sliders/ratings before and after each Tuner release, than actually playing the game.

Remember, what seems realistic to one gamer, will not be the same for another.
And when a Tuner changes an aspect you felt was "Realistic", will you be as ecstatic?
Exactly why I'm hoping they go the NHL route instead of the NCAA route. Allowing someone to download the one they felt was perfect would make tuner sets far more enjoyable and I would see no reason to complain about them then.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
I feel weird for liking a post about exposed penises.
TracerBullet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Top -