Home

Sounds of the game NFl and Madden football

This is a discussion on Sounds of the game NFl and Madden football within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Madden Audio Artist

OVR: 6
Exclamation Sounds of the game NFl and Madden football

Hey Guys,
My name is Erle McCan and I'm the new audio lead for Madden 11.
I just wanted to reach out to the OS community and kind of get a feel for what you guys like in regards to the sounds of football.
Now when I say sounds I'm pretty much talking about everything you hear.
However, I would really love to know what you guys feel makes football so special when you're either at the game or watching it on TV when it comes to the sound of the game (Player chatter, tackles, crowd cheers/chants, etc).
I would also love to hear from all of the different fans for all 32 teams.
Have you been to a game in person to watch and hear your favorite team?
Were you at the new Cowboys stadium for the opening ceremony?
What did that sound like? Did the sound practically vibrate your ears off?
Let me know, I would love to hear from football / Madden fans.
Thanks

Erle McCan
Lead Audio for Madden 11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Sounds of the game NFl and Madden football

First and foremost, I think that the booth commentary needs improvement. Tom Hammond is atrocious. It makes me feel bored when he's talking. That shouldn't happen. He's so lifeless and monotone.

Secondly, specifically for the Seahawks, it's quite obvious that we have one of the loudest home fields in the league. There should be a way to differentiate the louder stadiums from the rest of them, you know? It'd also be nice to specifically incorporate the 12th man type stuff for the Seahawks, specifically. The raising of the 12th man flag before the games, just stuff like that.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

I know a big thing is make playoff and the Super Bowl FEEL like they're important games. As it stands now you don't get that feel for the games. The presentation elements are coming along, the sound should too.

also, games with lesser teams late in the season should have a more subdued sound unless its a rivalry game.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Pro

Smoke316's Arena

OVR: 14

Welcome to the site McCan. Id like to here more stadium specific sounds (JETS chant for example) i used to here in previus Maddens the PA announcer mention maybe parking or drink not being served after the 3rd quarter. I like this year where we here the crown spefically at times id like more of those. The player chatter is cool maybe a li more chatter when a play is being changed. Maybe the more aware Qbs calling out the MLB by jersey number. ..the more i think of anything the more ill post

Modest in Speech..Superior in Action

Hit me on Twitter - SeanSemps
Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
MVP

Danimal's Arena

Welcome.

Commentary is first and foremost and you'll hear a lot of how it is boring. but the sound levels, the editing and to be frank the lines being given to the talent all need work.

Things missing or I think need more *umph*

- Whistles
- Pads hitting, especially on tackles
- Crowd chants
- Dynamic crowd noise, let me tell you I'm a Bears fan if they have a few bad offensive possessions the boos come out quick. I think dynamic crowd noise in relation to whats happening on the field needs a lot of work. Crowd swells on big runs, hits, plays. Have you ever heard a whole stadium groan on a big hit in Madden.
- Stadium sounds, give us the ability to add sounds for key events if you can't do them all yourself.

Good Luck
Old 09-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

ahhh..very cool that you will be looking into this for 11. I was just at a broncos game this weekend and there were some things that are very specific to that stadium. BTW I am a vikes fan, i was just in the area and wanted to go to live game this year.

Anyway after every incomplete pass by the visiting team the crowd will yell "IN-COM-PLETE!! It is very annoying if you are not a broncos fan but very specific to there stadium sounds. Also on big 3rd downs when they are on defense the stadium is loud, like the stands are actually rumbling, if you can incoorperate that in 11 that would rock. Not just for the broncos but for every team as that is what happens.

Also from my experience while at Vikings games the biggest thing that has been missing is the horn sound after big plays, first downs, and TDs. That needs to get in there. Also after TDs they you hear a small explosion in the Metrodome, i think its like a cannon but its loud in there. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ
I know a big thing is make playoff and the Super Bowl FEEL like they're important games. As it stands now you don't get that feel for the games. The presentation elements are coming along, the sound should too.

also, games with lesser teams late in the season should have a more subdued sound unless its a rivalry game.
I could have sworn I read a blog earlier in the year which stated that our jaws were literally going to drop when we played in a playoffs game this year.

For playoffs/late season meaningful games, there should be an entirely different presentation from a preseason/early season/exhibition mode game. There should be more cutscenes, louder atmosphere, stadium specific things (I can't believe that in Madden 10 there are still no terrible towels/team chants in the game).
Old 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Welcome.

Commentary is first and foremost and you'll hear a lot of how it is boring. but the sound levels, the editing and to be frank the lines being given to the talent all need work.

Things missing or I think need more *umph*

- Whistles
- Pads hitting, especially on tackles
- Crowd chants
- Dynamic crowd noise, let me tell you I'm a Bears fan if they have a few bad offensive possessions the boos come out quick. I think dynamic crowd noise in relation to whats happening on the field needs a lot of work. Crowd swells on big runs, hits, plays. Have you ever heard a whole stadium groan on a big hit in Madden.
- Stadium sounds, give us the ability to add sounds for key events if you can't do them all yourself.

Good Luck
I agree with all of this. Pretty much hits a lot of the big things right on the head.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »