Home

New Vikings Franchise - What a mess - Need Advice

This is a discussion on New Vikings Franchise - What a mess - Need Advice within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
New Vikings Franchise - What a mess - Need Advice

So, simmed 2010 season to get up to date. finished 6-10(kept farve benched to try get realistic results from RL)

Decisions I have made: - Fired all coaching staff (apart from def cord) hired new staff

Let Pat Williams go - Old now.

Farve has retired.

Now with cap space totally cleared up(50m now instead of the 6 you start with) need to make a few decisions.

I have 4th overall pick. So what should I do.

1. Greenway, Edwards and Henderson are all up for contract renewal. They will all command big salaries. DO i resign the lot, Tag one of them maybe? Or let some go and take a chance in the draft.

2. Do i use 4th Round pick to replace Williams at DT or go for top QB?

3. Depending on resigning decision, do I maybe trade 4th for lower 1st round and another pick to get extra players?

Positions needed badly are.

QB
DT
FS
CB

and what i decide to do with above.

What ya think peeps?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: New Vikings Franchise - What a mess - Need Advice

Well I would corner or a safety since there's not a lot of depth and it is aging. I would take a qb in a later round since your run game should be the focal point of your offense. Maybe take another reciever so you can keep Percy Harvin in the slot.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

draft a CB and get a Vet in and have Joe Webb sit back for a year or 2
Old 02-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

If you import a draft you may be able to get Patrick Peterson at #4. Otherwise pick a DT. Franchise Henderson.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Rookie

here is what I did for my first year with the Vikes.

1) Converted Winfield to Strong Safety
2) Resigned Greenway (5-6 year deal), Resigned Henderson (2-3 year deal because he's getting old and Drafting a MLB, I can give him a few years to develop), Used my franchise tag on Ray Edwards.
3) Drafted Andrew Luck 3rd Overall in my draft (he ended up being 86 overall with A potential), drafted another corner, a few Olinemen, an DE, a DT (as I didn't bring pat williams back), and a WR if you can.

A few notes, Oline should be a need to address as well as Loadholt, Arerra and sullivan aren't good enough against better fast rushers. Hoping that you hit in the draft either this year or next, You should have a ok DE to back up Ray Edwards and start when he leaves.

Your corners will probably be Griffin, Allen, then Cook. If you play a lot of cover 2 zone, Asher Allen does a great job of shutting his zone out (90 zone coverage), otherwise start cook. If a good corner isn't found in the draft this year, make it a priority to find a good one next year because with Allen and Cook's contract expiring, it's better off drafting a CB and signing him than signing a Free Agent (as corner's are expensive).

With Vikings west coast playbook, You really just need a tall WR to compliment Percy as a lot of plays will have WRs switching spots (Percy Plays on the left sometimes and having a tall WR who you can throw a jump ball to in the endzone or so.). When Percy plays on the left it allows for lots of mismatches with opponent's 2nd corner in terms of speed. Percy should be a 90 OVR after his first year. I kept Greg Camerillo as a slot until I found a better slot WR. He's a good possession receiver in the slot.

Finding an upgrade at the LOLB should be addressed too especially if you like to blitz. Leber just doesn't do it for me. I went and got Pisa Tinoisamoa in FA to replace Leber because I liked his speed. Not a big upgrade, but one that'll be ok until I find a better one.

Hope this helped, good luck on ur franchise.

Last edited by billylee0000; 02-20-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Rookie

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Took elements from each and have done the following.

Re-signed - E.J Henderson - 2 years
Greenway - 6 years
Abdullah - 4 years

TAG - Edwards

FA - Brodney Pool(FS) - 5 years
Quincy Black(LOLB) - 4 Years

Traded 1st round pick (Salary cap getting tight), for couple of Bills later round picks.

Got - QB - 72 - A Potential though
CB - 73 (90 Man covergae but only 52 zone so see what can do with him)
DT - 86 - Happy days
RG - 78
WR - 79
LT - 54 - can pass block however so will give him 1 year
C - 76
C - 46 - BUST and CUT
DE - 81 - Perfect. Ready to cover for now, then start next year for Edwards when leaves.

Due to positional shortages

Steve Valios (C) - 1 year deal
Leon Washington (HB) - 1 year deal

Moved Winfield to SS as lack of speed and Traded Sanford(SS) for Miami 4th round Pick of next year draft. Probably 1 round too low but did not want to take the piss.

So let the re-build commence
Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Rookie

nice! I signed leon washington too lol; used him for KRs
Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

Use the 4th overall pick on a QB if a decent one is there. As seen, you can have a superstar packed defense, but remain worthless if you don't have a proficient QB.

Rookie QB's have/can make huge impacts. That DT spot can be filled easily through free agency or a 2nd round pick. The same for a CB/Safety.
It makes me sad
I post the frog

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »