Home

Draft Classes: to export or to not export

This is a discussion on Draft Classes: to export or to not export within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Draft Classes: to export or to not export

I have always (at least since it has been an available option) been a big fan of importing the draft classes over from NCAA into Madden. But as I wait for my draft class fix to come from EA, I have re-thought the issue and I am kind of torn.

On one hand, there are the things I have always loved about importing draft classes.

Real players: you can draft your favorite college atheltes and experience NFL Draft day months ahead of time.

Seeing the players you coached in college get drafted: It is always fun to recruit a guy, bring him up, and watch him do well.

However since I have had some time to re-think this whole draft thing, I definitely see some down sides to the importing draft classes feature and may turn to the Madden generated classes.

Saturation of talent: Simply put, NCAA classes have way too many good players. It dilutes the importance of signing the ACTUAL current NFL players and using them. Also, you can build a dynasty in a couple years, every time.

Madden generated classes force you to scout: With the NCAA classes, you KNOW Maurice Clarrett is unreal. You know the stars. The draft prep is simply a stage where you can read more info about the players you already like. With the Generated classes, you need to find out who is good and who isn't. Especially with talent being more scarce.

IMO I just do not know which way to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2003, 10:27 PM   #2
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Draft Classes: to export or to not export

THis is a tough call, the importing rosters from NCAA simply takes the ratings and translates them into Madden ratings. The only problem with this is it doesn't take into account the Eric Crouch's of football. Guys that should be rated high in college, but aren't NFL players. I understand that there is probably not a better system of imorting, but it makes you question whether or not it's best to import.....

personally, this will be the first time i will have had the chance to import, so as soon as I get my new disc, i will be doing it. but if the ratings are ultra-unrealistic, I might have to rethink this...
Old 08-19-2003, 12:30 AM   #3
MVP

Meatloaf86's Arena

OVR: 11

this year will probably be the only import i do. in madden seasons anyways. i put all the names of the players that are drafted in the 04 draft in so i'm not going to have the CPU generate players for me after i took about 5 hours to manually put the names in. i really want to keep it life like so thats why i'll do the draft class this year. next year though the only real good players that i would actually want would be Anthony Davis, Maurice Clarett, and Kellen Winslow. thats all. those are really the only guys i know that will be going to the NFL next season. so after i get done with this season i'll import guys like Williams, Navarre, Krenzel, and Manning. then the following draft i'll have generated players.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:34 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Here is the problem i have with exporting draft classes....

I simmed a season last night to see the draft with my exported '03 class....somehow all of the players are not available. There were only 13 qb's available in the draft. I know for a fact that there were at least 50 quarterbacks that were leaving schools in NCAA (a few Soph(RS) and Junior(RS) plus all of the senoirs....

As much as I would like to export the class (Eli Manning being the main reason), I wish it would export ALL of the available players no matter what their attributes are...

I can't say that Madden generated draft classes allow more players or not.....
Old 08-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #5
Rookie

mudd's Arena

OVR: 3

im using my exported classes... i just have to...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:

JIMIHEMMY said:
Here is the problem i have with exporting draft classes....

I simmed a season last night to see the draft with my exported '03 class....somehow all of the players are not available. There were only 13 qb's available in the draft. I know for a fact that there were at least 50 quarterbacks that were leaving schools in NCAA (a few Soph(RS) and Junior(RS) plus all of the senoirs....

As much as I would like to export the class (Eli Manning being the main reason), I wish it would export ALL of the available players no matter what their attributes are...

I can't say that Madden generated draft classes allow more players or not.....

Well, I suppose there must be limitations, but is it going to hurt ANYONE's feelings if C.J. Stephens, a senior QB from UNC who will go through his entire college career playing in only 7 games, ISN'T available to draft?

It makes available the BEST players at each position. In my opinion, this feature IS THE REASON to play these games.

After importing draft classes for the last two versions of Madden/NCAA, there's NO WAY I could go back to drafting the generic players that Madden generates. No way!

As for the ratings of the players coming out of college......think of it this way. With the generic Madden draftees, the ratings are very top heavy and very bottom heavy. When you import the rookie class, the ratings don't change much from the 1st round guys to the 7th round guys.

Which sounds more realistic to you?

Old 08-19-2003, 12:25 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

"With the generic Madden draftees, the ratings are very top heavy and very bottom heavy. When you import the rookie class, the ratings don't change much from the 1st round guys to the 7th round guys.

Which sounds more realistic to you?"

My question is how bad does the league get saturated with great players if using NCAA draft classes? After a couple of years of loaded drafts the league will be full of pro-bowl caliber teams, no real standout preformers right?

I love the feature, but if the CPU generated draft classes are more in line with the existing talent pool then they should be better in the long run.

My question to anyone who has simmed several seasons and imported players from NCAA(I can't do this yet since I have an XBOX), is how does the league look talent wise after 3 or 4 years of draft classes?
Old 08-19-2003, 12:32 PM   #8
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Even with the generated names the talent goes up year to year. That 3 year player for the Eagles with a rating of 74 would be in the 90's by the 7th season so it really does'nt matter. Besides, alot of good talent(the Warners, the McNabbs, the R. Williams) ethier retire or get career ending injuries during a seven year span. So it still does'nt matter.

I for one am happy to use the import classfeature. I have a couple of players I would like to see in the NFL from my college team. And plus its a few other players I would love to play against in the NFL. I'd rather have real rookies who you played with or against in NCAA then play the same guy in the Pro game. You cant beat that with a *** kicking stick.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »