Home

Will Madden 12 use the same engine from the previous 6 maddens on 360/ps3?

This is a discussion on Will Madden 12 use the same engine from the previous 6 maddens on 360/ps3? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #113
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Will Madden 12 use the same engine from the previous 6 maddens on 360/ps3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS46Deity
Madden has used the same engine since '99. The game played on ice skates back then and still does today. If you cannot tell just look up some videos of both games in motion. They're disgustingly similar.

Pretty graphics, updated rosters are what keep the herd coming back to the cash register year after year...smh
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
No, that's not true at all.

They started with a new engine with NG consoles. It's been explained by Ian in the past.
As roadman wrote, they have changed the engine for the next-gen consoles and are working on improving it every year. But I agree that we still see many of the same gameplay issues from last-gen, because they've reused a lot of the code from back then.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #114
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
As roadman wrote, they have changed the engine for the next-gen consoles and are working on improving it every year. But I agree that we still see many of the same gameplay issues from last-gen, because they've reused a lot of the code from back then.
No, the engine was made to conform to Next-Gen...True, it is an "Update" but as you stated the code used is still present in this years Madden and I would bet my left nut on it still being in 12...smh
Old 03-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #115
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Pretty sure to jump and defend a pass is RB/R1. Y/Triangle is for interceptions.
I don't have time to play a game at this time.

The best I could do is a link to the patch notes. One of the first one's is increased reaction times for defenders while ball is still in the air.

Now, I still have other issues with the game, don't get me wrong. However, this patch did a credible job patching the offensive slug fest that it was earlier, IMO.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/12/10...atch-5-details
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #116
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
I agree 100%. You certainly do not have a level of control like you did last gen. The responsiveness is really really bad as far as buttons go for some reason. Added with the fact that you can't interact with tackles already in progress, you don't really feel like you have that much control or interaction with the game, especially on defense.
The lack of responsiveness is just one part of it. They put in auto cpu assist, want you to use gameflow so the cpu chooses your play. Online lag + strat pad makes it difficult to do much on defense as far as presnap adjustments and the lack of things like individual bump/run or least telling your d to play aggressive or conservative ala NCAA means you don't have as many options to change how your team will play anyways.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #117
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

I did not have time to read all the post, so I do not know if this was mentioned, but from the few I glanced upon. I just want to add a tip that will help a ton on defense in regards to being responsive.

As your running with your defender to make a play on the ball. Do not wait till you get to the spot to then hit the button of your choice. Hold the button down the whole time as your running to the spot. Once you get to that area where your defender can actually make a play on the ball he will.

Just hold the button down. Do not try to time it.

Many players in my league were not aware of this, and once I informed them how to execute this. It has helped them tremendously.

This tip also works for user controlled WR's catching the ball.

Last edited by Tyrant8RDFL; 03-19-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #118
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I did not have time to read all the post, so I do not know if this was mentioned, but from the few I glanced upon. I just want to add a tip that will help a ton on defense in regards to being responsive.

As your running with your defender to make a play on the ball. Do not wait till you get to the spot to then hit the button of your choice. Hold the button down the whole time as your running to the spot. Once you get to that area where your defender can actually make a play on the ball he will.

Just hold the button down. Do not try to time it.

Many players in my league were not aware of this, and once I informed them how to execute this. It has helped them tremendously.

This tip also works for user controlled WR's catching the ball.
This what the complaints are about. In order to be successful at defending passes, the answer is to hold the button down the whole time and the cpu will make the play for you when the time is right.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #119
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
This what the complaints are about. In order to be successful at defending passes, the answer is to hold the button down the whole time and the cpu will make the play for you when the time is right.

Excatly...if "holding the button in" and hoping the QB throws to the guy your covering is the answer, why even have the user hold the button in? What's the difference in that and not doing anything?

I think another major problem is all the annimations are canned with predetermined results. Getting back to the original point that the game is playing itself. I bought Madden 11 for PS2 and dropped it in tonight and played it for about an hour...an man what a great game. minus the the lack of grahics the gameplay really was fun. In contrast right after playing Madden PS2 version i threw in NCAA (PS3 version) and played for about 5 minutes and turned it off (I don't own Madden - PS3)...yuk. It really is sad. I hope EA comes out with a Madden "classic" version for next gen that maybe is a downloadable game that is the last gen version madden with updated graphics and rosters and such...they would win me back if they did that.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #120
Pro

Kahuma's Arena

OVR: 17

The biggest thing that bugs me are the people who constantly complain about the Strat-Pad.

I've been playing Madden almost every year since 2002 and I also played 2k5 and still do occasionally.

The strat-pad is a much improved way to make adjustments. You have make numerous adjustment quickly and effectively if you memorize them.

It comes down to constant practice, just because something is different an/or unusally doesn't mean it is bad. You just need to practice at it. I've been in a 32-man league going on 4 seasons now.

Secondly defending passes using the swat button only works when you are close to the marker and and ball is almost out of the air. It also seems to be dictated by who starts their animation first. If I have a WR and I attempt the catch the ball before you try to pick it I have a higher chance to coming down with it. (This seems to be because my WR has better catching than your CB/S.) If you swat the ball instead you need to time it so the ball is just about to the WR and you are in good postion.

Defence is not a hard as everyone descripts it to be, it just takes practice and attention to detail.

Once you get the timing down it will be like 2nd nature to you.

As far as user-catching, if it's a deep bomb if you hold back on the left analog and hit Y/Triangle your WR will do an over-the-shoulder catch almost everytime and will catch it about 90% of the time if your opponents' DB doesn not time their swat. (INT attempts almost always fail if you don't have time to strafe and jump before they do. If you attempt the pick it off before they try to catch with their WR then you'll have a chance to pick it.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »