Home

What's the best way to slow down a great player who uses Oakland?

This is a discussion on What's the best way to slow down a great player who uses Oakland? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
What's the best way to slow down a great player who uses Oakland?

That team is all about speed, and being that I play with the Colts, I can't hope to match them in this regard. In general, I try to keep at least one safety deep to counter the deep throw, but my defenders are helpless on routes across the middle simply due to the speed difference. Playing zone will get my already abysmal run defense lit up if they hand it off generally (tosses and sweeps galore).

I try to help across the middle with a middle linebacker in a hook zone (yellow), and for the most part, I can shut down a dig or a drag route, but what they usually do is they have TWO digs/in routes going in opposite directions. If I shut down one, they throw it to the other because my AI-controlled teammates can't hope to cover them.

And then when I'm on offense, the pass rush gets to me because they have so many shutdown corners. Their linebackers are fast too, so Dallas Clark isn't much of a mismatch anymore.

Any general advice for playing the Raiders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Rookie

mkeller25's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: What's the best way to slow down a great player who uses Oakland?

Try blitzing more, those deep cross routes take a little bit to develop. Maybe you can user control the mlb and take it away early then by the time its open later your blitz is there and he can't hit the open guy.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeller25
Try blitzing more, those deep cross routes take a little bit to develop. Maybe you can user control the mlb and take it away early then by the time its open later your blitz is there and he can't hit the open guy.
My cornerbacks are hopelessly slow compared to their receivers-- all he has to do is lob it as soon as he sees single coverage and his receiver will beat my defender down the field.

Not to mention my blitzes suck more often than not since I'm the Colts, and I'm no defensive guru. That's why I use them.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Rookie

Alter Eg0's Arena

Use a team with a fast Defense. LBs are key. And I like to use the Ravens D-Playbook. They have the ODD formation w/ two DT and the OLBs Standing up. When I play a fast team like the Eagles or Raiders. I might the Packers because their CBs can jam & cover allowing me to blitz. Another thing about the ODD is that the SS plays close to the LOS almost like another OLB. I always hot blitz out of zones so they will never know where it's coming from. Also w/ this formation sub in your good players in. Ex like one of the DT spots put in a star DE. Live by the Blitz, Die by the Blitz
Old 03-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Rookie

TomBrady's Arena

OVR: 5

Confuse him with various zone planes that for example include a DT or Freeney/Mathis dropping back in the zone, and linebackers faking a pass rush but also going in zone coverage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #6
Rookie

thrust's Arena

OVR: 3

Hit him with the controller. lol But really, I would run blitz atleast twice every 4 downs and utilize my TE and fullback. That will definately adjust his playcalling and not let him use defensive speed as a crutch so much.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
Pro

MrSkagTrendy's Arena

OVR: 9

lots of zone blitzes. don't go with man.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Two things:

1.) Lots of zone. Mix cover 2, 3, and sometimes even 4. Cover 1 is bad against teams that often like to go deep. Aso, user contro the MLB.

2.) Ball control offense. The very strategy that teams use against your Colts in real life. Control the clock. Limit their possessions. Try to use tempo in your favor. Selecting to kick off at the beginning of the game is a great example of tempo. If you are is a shootout, meaning you each score on each of your possessions, then you want to have the ball on the final drive of the first half. That way you can tie the game up and then get the ball back at the start of the second half to take the lead, forcing your opponent to now play catch up. With proper clock management and tempo control, every mistake they make will be magnified, but so will yours.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »