Home

Defence and Running Help!

This is a discussion on Defence and Running Help! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2003, 04:44 PM   #1
MVP

jason8ooo's Arena

OVR: 9
Defence and Running Help!

My defence and running skills are really lacking. In 2 games I have 115 running yards and am last in the league. Any tips? On defence I can't seem to stop the pass. They usually catch the ball and get an auto first down. Any tips to help cut down on that? How hard is it to get in position to int. or knock down the pass? If I screw up the knock down will they be heading for the races? Another thing that bothers me is I can't get any sacks. I even did a punt block with everybody on the line as a test and I still couldn't get a sack. I also find it hard to stop the run. They usually get 5-6 yards/carry. I try to clog the hole but it just isn't happening, tips? On most occasions they get points rather than punting it away(maybe as high as a 3:1 ratio) and average around 21+ points a game

Oh yea, I'm using the Buffalo Bills. Any help would be great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2003, 08:56 PM   #2
MVP

jason8ooo's Arena

Re: Defence and Running Help!

Any help?
Old 08-19-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I also had trouble stopping the pass with my first franchise (49ers). After one season, my pass defense was dead last in the league. But, I switched teams and am now playing with the Chargers. Since they have a young, inexperienced secondary, you'd think they would finish last too, right? Not exactly. I've actually been doing better defending the pass with the Chargers. I've played the Chiefs, Broncos, Raiders, and Jaguars (all pretty good passing teams) and my squad is still in the top 5 in total defense.
Here are a few tips:
* Keep the opposing offense off balance by switching between zone and man coverage. Also, try using a combination zone man coverage like a Cover 3 Weak or something.
* I've gotten plenty of success pressing my cornerbacks up close and jamming the receivers. When you jam the receivers, make sure you have a linebacker or a nickelback running a blitz. Also, make sure to have the safeties shade each side of the field. The safeties will act as.. well.. a safety net just in case the receivers escape the jam.
* Try taking control of the middle linebacker and have that linebacker play the middle of the field when playing zone defense. If you're roaming the middle of the field, the quarterback will almost always never throw a slant or drag route down the middle.

Well, that's it for now. Hope that helps.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:47 AM   #4
MVP

jason8ooo's Arena

Ok thanks. I'm hoping this will help. I won my last game 6-3 on a last second 30yrd field goal that hit the bottom post and bounced in. A new question I have is my advisors say that my coaches don't like their low salary. Is there any way I can resign them or hike up their salary in mid-season or do I need to wait until the offseason? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2003, 11:01 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

jason8ooo said:
Ok thanks. I'm hoping this will help. I won my last game 6-3 on a last second 30yrd field goal that hit the bottom post and bounced in. A new question I have is my advisors say that my coaches don't like their low salary. Is there any way I can resign them or hike up their salary in mid-season or do I need to wait until the offseason? Thanks!

6-3? Thats beautiful, what sliders do you use??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2003, 11:21 AM   #6
MVP

jason8ooo's Arena

Defaults. Another game I had was 9-6. Not all my games are that close. One game I lost 44-20
Old 08-21-2003, 02:55 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

jason8ooo said:
A new question I have is my advisors say that my coaches don't like their low salary. Is there any way I can resign them or hike up their salary in mid-season or do I need to wait until the offseason? Thanks!

My advisors have said the same thing too. I havent found a way to increase coaches salaries in midseason. I think you can only do that in the offseason. I might be wrong though.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:23 PM   #8
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

This is some tips on the running game: I have found that most of my best runs have come out of the goalline formation. Mainly because the D stacks the line and if you either break thru the middle or bounce it to the outside you can get some nice gains. This is where switching which side the play goes to is important + sending the tight end in motion. If you are determined to run it up the middle send the TE in motion and hike the ball when he is at your desired point of attack. He'll bust up in the DLine and create some running room for ya.

You could always just get a fast QB (not Vick or McNabb...they are too easy) and learn to scramble. This helps out both the running and passing game. The D won't load the box so often if you are a threat to pull it down and run. Also, WRs are more likely to get open after you break containment with the QB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »