Home

Intentional Grounding?

This is a discussion on Intentional Grounding? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

OVR: 9
Intentional Grounding?

Has anyone actually seen this called frequently on NFL '11?

The only time it is ever called for me is if you hit the button to throw it away while inside the pocket.

If you or the CPU get's hit while throwing to a WR and it only goes a yard or less, it is NEVER called. You can avoid a sack everytime by just tapping the button of a WR as you get leveled.

There's a slider on this game for penalties, so I was wondering if setting the intentional grounding slider to 100 would actually make the game call intentional grounding, or make the CPU's QB start taking sacks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Intentional Grounding?

Penalty sliders do absolutely nothing, they dont happen any more or less frequently should you adjust the sliders.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I don't think it's grounding if you were interfered with while throwing the ball. The AI knows we were trying to get it to a receiver but contact made the ball go a short distance.

Unless you're asking for bad calls to be included (they are for challenges, but this isn't challengeable) this would seem to be working as intended.

Good luck avoiding a sack every time tapping the throwing button... as you fumble it... or a LB or worse... a DT... picks it off and runs it back on you.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I don't think it's grounding if you were interfered with while throwing the ball. The AI knows we were trying to get it to a receiver but contact made the ball go a short distance.

Unless you're asking for bad calls to be included (they are for challenges, but this isn't challengeable) this would seem to be working as intended.

Good luck avoiding a sack every time tapping the throwing button... as you fumble it... or a LB or worse... a DT... picks it off and runs it back on you.
Well yeah, the AI knows we were trying to throw it to a WR, but so would refs. It is definitely intentional grounding if you are hit and it doesn't go past the line of scrimmage.

If you throw it into the ground and there isn't an eligable reciever(WR/TE/RB) within 5 yards, that's intentional grounding. You can throw it away if you're outside the pocket though.

Last edited by over9000yards; 03-04-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amare
Penalty sliders do absolutely nothing, they dont happen any more or less frequently should you adjust the sliders.
Most of them, yes. The only sliders I've found to make a real difference are Holding, False Starts, Clipping and Facemasks, but those seem to actually to (set Facemask on 100 for one game, on 0 for another if you don't believe me. The Facemask animation is quite obvious, if the slider is at 100 every Facemask penalty committed will be called, with it lower, you still see the animation, but it doesn't get called every time). As you've observed, intentional grounding NEVER gets called unless you throw the ball away while still in the pocket, and since the CPU simply does not do that, and most users don't either, it doesn't really matter.

I've never ever seen a single roughing penalty for either passer or kicker (I guess it's better that way, because honestly, I think you'd get a roughing the passer penalty on every other play in Madden if it were called by the rules), not once an offensive PI, defensive PI I've seen, though, mostly on Mesh plays or crossing slants when you time it that you throw the ball just before the routes cross, sometimes your receiver runs into the crossing defender and you can get the penalty. I don't think defensive PI can be called on a CPU controlled defender who is actually covering the receiver, again it's better that way because you'd get a defensive PI on pretty much every other deep route otherwise.

As the "fake snap" seems to be inexcplicably broken it seems impossible to get an offside penalty save for some weird instances especially in no-huddle situations where the defense doesn't manage to get set correctly because two guys try to get in the same spot, some for encroachment, only attainable by weird positioning bugs (and of course by having the user player cross the LoS), I'd really like for them to adapt the NCAA system for fake snaps/false starts/offside/jumped snaps, seems to work quite fine there.

For KR/PR interference it's the same, it will get called if you user a player and run into the return guy after he signals for a fair catch, CPU never triggers that penalty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

yea i wonder that as well i tried messing with the sliders when i first got madden but if u set certain ones all way to 100 thats all that gets called i did that against the cmp in franchise first yr and every game the cmp was avg almost 25 flags a game for false starts,clipping, and i was never getting one called against me, i also agree if u try throw it away the cmp will pick it off i had 2 games in row where i threw 3 pick 6's because of that from there dt or de.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

but if the arm is moving in a forward motion, doesn't that make it an incomplete pass?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billylee0000
but if the arm is moving in a forward motion, doesn't that make it an incomplete pass?
Yes it would be an incomplete pass if the ball hit the ground. But very often, if you throw it away just as you're hit, the ball is still thrown away, but very slowly and often right at the closest defender, often the DT who picks it off and then returns it for 6.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »