Home

Isn't it time the audio in Madden matched other sports games?

This is a discussion on Isn't it time the audio in Madden matched other sports games? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #33

OVR: 34
Re: Isn't it time the audio in Madden matched other sports games?

Logic has to be improved. You could put Ernie and Bert in there with better logic and it would run circles around what is in place right now. Think about how they call the game from a logical standpoint. It just doesn't flow properly.

The commentary/audio in Madden is very shallow and relies on the fact that they have two familiar names from the industry calling the game. That's all Madden has going for it and then it drops significantly. But that is what EA relies on for Madden. They trust in having big names doing their leg work. It's just like how having the NFL and NFLPA in the game already seals a sale for many. Many consumers grab it for the NFL and then say, "Ahh..sweet, they have Gus calling the games." For EA, that's good enough.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #34
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

I've gone back to playing Madden 10. Believe it or not, Tom Hammond is a breath of fresh air compared to Gus "Over the top" Johnson. He's horrible in the game, and in real life. Also at no time should an announcer start singing "San Diego Super Chargers" during the game, it gives the feeling that he's favoring one team over another.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Also at no time should an announcer start singing "San Diego Super Chargers" during the game, it gives the feeling that he's favoring one team over another.
I think that's what separates the two. We may want the commentary to be more appropriate etc., where the developers add such things because they think the San Diego fans will giggle when it happens.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #36
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Madden just seems like a technically out of date game. We get a new game every year, and yet it seems behind all the other sports games. I don't know if it's the tech under the hood or what. Whatever it is, it doesn't translate well into the game. I totally agree with everyone in this thread, Madden has never had good sound. Nothing just seems to be good or exceptional in madden nowadays. Everything seems mediocre to just not that good.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Madden just seems like a technically out of date game. We get a new game every year, and yet it seems behind all the other sports games. I don't know if it's the tech under the hood or what. Whatever it is, it doesn't translate well into the game. I totally agree with everyone in this thread, Madden has never had good sound. Nothing just seems to be good or exceptional in madden nowadays. Everything seems mediocre to just not that good.
Co-sign... S***. I think Madden 94 has better sound. Atleast they had realistic boo's and cheers on big plays with the pop up box showing the fans lol.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
Co-sign... S***. I think Madden 94 has better sound. Atleast they had realistic boo's and cheers on big plays with the pop up box showing the fans lol.

Lol.....I was bored and went and picked up M07 PS3 for $2.00 at Gamestop.

Game was pretty bad, BUT----when I lined up for a FG, I heard the fans chanting "Block that kick!" And not a group of five people, I'm talking a boisterous crowd.

Pretty shameful this wasn't in later versions.......

Plus----as much as I hated "radio guy", at least he was enthusiastic at the right times and less so when the opponent scored....

Somewhat gave the feel of a "homer" calling the game on local radio....

Last edited by Segagendude; 03-10-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Lol.....I was bored and went and picked up M07 PS3 for $2.00 at Gamestop.

Game was pretty bad, BUT----when I lined up for a FG, I heard the fans chanting "Block that kick!" And not a group of five people, I'm talking a boisterous crowd.

Pretty shameful this wasn't in later versions.......

Plus----as much as I hated "radio guy", at least he was enthusiastic at the right times and less so when the opponent scored....

Somewhat gave the feel of a "homer" calling the game on local radio....
I always thought all the radio guy needed was a commentary guy beside him to help out. He did bring some excitement.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #40
Rookie

It's become a new tradition.

Every year, just about this time, hundreds flock to OS to fantasize about Madden's potential and how good it used to be...and every year, someone starts a fantastic thread about one of the most important elements of any video game - SOUND.

Passionate discussions ensue. Intelligent and passionate men from all walks of life come to OS and contribute their opinions and ingenuity to the cause of talking about what would make Madden sound awesome. Yet when the game ships in August, as it does every year, all of our passionate discourse about sound has already fallen upon deaf ears.

Will this be the year Madden finally incorporates some sort of Sound Design Revolution? Unlikely. They don't rock the boat too much down there in Orlando, and as long as guys keep the myth alive that "Madden Sounds Fine" it will never be a priority. The cold hard fact is that Madden's Audio Design is, and forgive me for not being constructive momentarily in favor of being blunt, WEAK. Limp. Scrawny. Even with an energetic new announcer, Bland. Lackluster. Hollow. The game isn't even properly mixed in 5.1 dudes - audio ain't a priority over there.

Madden is made by a relatively small team with a huge bureaucracy and corporate mindset attached to it. Unless someone HIGH on the food chain demands wholesale audio changes, Madden 12 is going to sound just like 11 did with minimal paycheck-justifying improvements.

My gut instinct tells me there will be no audio revolution in Madden on this generation of consoles. To do so would be to re-write the whole audio program and the way it streams from their expansive audio database of recordings. The trend shows Tiburon would rather spend their budget licensing songs as opposed to re-approaching and optimizing their outdated commentary tech and audio presentation.

We all know a Madden Audio Revolution COULD be done with the assets they have. However, in an humble opinion I've formed from years of watching this studio make this game, they're just not agile enough to make it happen and their track record proves it.

Banned from OS for having an unpopular opinion in 3...2....

-SeventhWard

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »