Home

TO ALL THOSE THAT SAY YOU CAN'T RUN

This is a discussion on TO ALL THOSE THAT SAY YOU CAN'T RUN within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2003, 11:42 PM   #1
Banned

AirLobo23's Arena

OVR: 16
TO ALL THOSE THAT SAY YOU CAN\'T RUN

I just played the 1st game of my Cowboys franchise against Atlanta. T-Ham had 23 carries for 138 yards and 2 td's on the ALL-Pro setting.

You HAVE TO FOLLOW your lead blocker, and run the play the way it was designed. Also, if the D stacks to one side, use playmaker and run to the weakside of the formation.

It just takes some time to get used to the controls, but the running game truly is much improved. Once you understand you just can't hit the sprint button and you acutally have to let the play develop then you will love it too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2003, 11:52 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: TO ALL THOSE THAT SAY YOU CAN\'T RUN

Old 08-20-2003, 12:01 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

AirLobo23 said:

You HAVE TO FOLLOW your lead blocker, and run the play the way it was designed.

Exactly! What good are blockers when no one will follow them? I think some gamers are used to improvising or hoping to pull off a "Marcus Allen" and go from one sideline to the other just to score on a 50 yd run. Nope, not in this game.

Old 08-20-2003, 12:52 AM   #4
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:

AirLobo23 said:
You HAVE TO FOLLOW your lead blocker, and run the play the way it was designed. Also, if the D stacks to one side, use playmaker and run to the weakside of the formation.

I just don't see this as true with Madden, I can get far more yards not following the run as it is drawn up than I can following the drawn up play in most cases. Madden really needs some new run blocking, hopefully they'll do this and fix up the D a little bit for 2005 and they'd have a near perfect game. I also wouldn't mind more improvement on the playbooks.

This year I think they've got passing as close to perfection as you can really hope for.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:35 AM   #5
MVP

Donovan's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

I think some gamers are used to improvising or hoping to pull off a "Marcus Allen" and go from one sideline to the other just to score on a 50 yd run. Nope, not in this game.

Nice to see him at canton a few weeks ago...great back

Has a brother Damon who was awesome with Cal State and who after Warren Moon and Dan Marino has thrown for more yards than any other pro football player in the world. In the CFL of course, to bad hes 6'0 170. 10522 rushing yards in his career to..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2003, 04:41 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 8

You must be playing a different game than me. The blockers in Madden are dreadful. Outside plays are completely negated by the slowness of the guards in pulling, and the run blocking decisions on interior runs are terrible. I break down the replay of every single running play, and trust me, the blocking schemes are bad. ESPN blows Madden away in this regard, as it is actually necessary to follow the scheme of the play if you want to succeed, whereas in madden you are better off calling a play to go one way, watching the defense overcommit suspiciously, and then using playmaker to reverse the direction of the run.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:11 AM   #7
Banned

AirLobo23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

seanmac said:
You must be playing a different game than me. The blockers in Madden are dreadful. Outside plays are completely negated by the slowness of the guards in pulling, and the run blocking decisions on interior runs are terrible. I break down the replay of every single running play, and trust me, the blocking schemes are bad. ESPN blows Madden away in this regard, as it is actually necessary to follow the scheme of the play if you want to succeed, whereas in madden you are better off calling a play to go one way, watching the defense overcommit suspiciously, and then using playmaker to reverse the direction of the run.

I'm telling you, that you can run in this game. At first I found it hard, but now I love it. You MUST let the play develop!! I rushed for 138 yards, and it's not like i'm using some all-pro back either.

This is why sports games are so hard to make i'm sure for developers. How difficult should they make it? Should they make it so everyone can play and be successful? Or should they make it where you actually have to put time into the game and improve, and more than likely those that have a knowledge of the actual sport will probably be better.

I for one, LOVE the challenge of a challenging game. It took me a couple pre-season games, but running is soooo nice. You just have to stick with it, and your blockers will work for you.

Example, you talk about running a sweep or toss and your pulling guard being too slow? Wait for him! Run behind him and then cut off his block. There is a hole there, YOU just have to find it kid.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:39 AM   #8
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

people can continue to whine.

My Madden 2004 lets me run just fine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »