Home

Is it better to change DE assignment to "blitz"?

This is a discussion on Is it better to change DE assignment to "blitz"? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 03-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: Is it better to change DE assignment to "blitz"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
And yeah the titans d-line didnt do anything ground breaking there.

On the first play the tackle didnt respond to the 9 tech and his own 5 tech correctly. He was afraid his guard wouldnt cover his 5 in time so he decided to do double duty, helping his guard and failed miserably on even slowing down the 9 technique. You learn to protect inside to outside and the tackle had no confidence in his partner so he glued hard to the 5.

The second play was on the right guard in my opinion. Because he glued himself to the DT over him whcih the center had to take on his own, a guy came up right in the middle promtping the "inside to outside" technique of the RB to take up the inside blitzer, leaving the outside corner, the RB's responsibility, wide open and untouched for the sack. They did not expect a corner blitz which made the play work in that situation.

Your posts presents another question I have always had about Madden and the OLine assignments.

Do the Offensive Lineman really follow the Blocking techniques? Same question goes for the DLine... Do they have techniques? Does the DE use a "9 tech" to get around the edge of the tackle? Does the takcle "not have faith" in his Guard which forces him to block "inside" before blocking "outside"?

It seems to me, like, more times than not, the Blocking "assignments" for fullbacks and lineman are kinda like they are on a train track. What I means is, it seems like they wont "go after" anyone to make a block, and they need to just "run into" them and they will block them. I don't know how many times my FB will simply run past someone because they weren't on his track to be blocked.

I know it sounds weird, but watch closely next time you play. Tell me if you FB actually goes after anyone, or if he simply runs straight in the hopes of someone getting in his way haha.

This is one of the many Madden mysteries I have.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

In my opinion, the oline in madden has improved dramatically!!! But not technique wise. The only thing they have done with technique is in double teams and that is iffy.

And I may have over simplified the inside outside thing a little bit. Madden does have the inside to outside thing in spurts but it isnt very consistent. In madden blockers take the closest guy to them and when there is a blitzer a guy will shift out of the blue to block him. And if the AI cannot do the magic shift, they make the qb throw the ball quickly to avoid the sack.

But my analysis of the play may be, probably is wrong, since I dont know the actual pass protection they were going for or practice. But just a general veiw of that play showed poor chemistry among the oline and bad awareness by the oline not really a fantastic stunt or blitz.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

After watching the first play some more it may not have been a bonehead play by the right tackle after all. The dt over him may have held him up a little bit from getting the 9.

Defensive holding is a dangerous thing

EDIT: LEFT Tackle

SECOND EDIT: There was so much wrong going on in those two plays after Ive actually watching it some more.

Last edited by kingkilla56; 03-21-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 5

After experimenting for awhile I noticed if you assign DL to "pass" on All-Pro your sacks will indeed go way up. If you do it on All-Madden it seems like you get more pressure but less sacks. They'll look like they're gonna get the sack but when they try to turn the corner on the OT and finish they'll get blocked or just fall down. The "blitz" assignemnt gets less pressure but more sacks.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Sporty, it's been a while man!

I agree that the alignment of the LDE is what allows him to lead the team in sacks most of the time. I haven't practiced it yet, but I wonder if flipping the play before calling it would give the RDE that outside leverage and put the LDE in the more standard position to hold the point.

I've been looking hard at play art on defense as it pertains to the rush, and I'm noticing three major problems that make it hard for basic blitz calls to succeed. The first is that the DL rush paths don't often occupy the proper OL necessary to get the LB a clean run.

The second is that blitz paths from the LB position are extremely unpredictable. You can run the same blitz play in practice 10 times against the same formation and see the guy hitting different gaps from different angles each time. To get a call to work you should have a gap-defined blitz by the LB.

The third thing, and this may be what neuters the rush most, is that the whole OL and the backs in protection know what's going on. A RG or a HB on that side of the field shouldn't be able to see a blitz off the left edge most of the time, but they do, so the line adjust with prescient force to blitz. Sometimes OL get confused but not often.

In light of these things, you often either have to control the blitzer yourself or control the DL you want to occupy the proper OL.

Are there some rushes that seem to work right on a semi-regular basis (in the 43, which is what I use)?

One I'm trying to figure out is the Edge Sting out of 43 Normal. It looks like it's designed to get the LOLB free, but it never works for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »