Home

Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all?

This is a discussion on Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #25
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all?

that vid on youtube is a classic example of i'll trust my eyes not being a good idea.

all madden makes any player for the cpu 99+ in almost all of his relevant to position ratings while it makes the user about 20( i really mean a rating of 20.......)j/k

so that punter playing LT is a 99 on all amdden in every OL rating he has a 99 even though it says 12

yes this is horrible rating logic........ but it is what it is......

now does weight and height matter NO they dont in terms of reality. wieght seems to me modified by the strength rating. if a guy has a 30 STR he wont truck or push anyone while if i give a 160lb guy 99 he would throw off 5 guys

this is the same in many other sport games, ex nba 2k11 on HOF shaq cant back down nash,

the problem with madden is the STR rating isnt curved tight enough this year, there is little difference between a 55 STR and a 85.

this is why devs can say their engine is capable of prodicing 2k esque gameplay, i believe them but i know they would never rate the game approiately to produce it and the curves they use dont deliver it either

this argument is deeper than madden is bad and broken? with the right tools and editing especially on the PC( where we have the tools) you can see where the problems are........

#18 greatest EVA....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Since you obviously didn't even bother to fully read my posts before ranting away I'll repeat it for you.

Claiming they wouldn't matter at all is simply factually wrong.
Tomato Tomoto, not mattering as they should is the same difference.

In other words, you're admitting that the rating system is broken.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlievN5
Kind of a pet peeve of mine, honestly, Madden isn't programmed to handle a punter on the line with those ratings, why would it? feasibly it should never happen, but bugs in which they play that position do happen, but it's rare and it's ultimately pointless to put punters on the oline to show "ratings are broken." Basically, even the worst olineman doesn't get beaten every play. One time when a 160 lb halfback (which hardly exists) shrugs off a defensive tackle, isn't the end of the world, it won't happen often and COULD happen in real life.
The lengths that people go to in order to defend this game is Maddening, all pun intended. People have, on film, shown below average offensive linemen holding their own against elite defensive lineman. People have shown QB's and 300 lbs. safeties ( Rick Noankeles) being effective in the secondary; it's mind boggling that people would try to defend those things.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 03-17-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #28
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
The lengths that people go to in order to defend this game is Maddening, all pun intended. People have, on film, shown below average offensive line holding their own against elite defensive lineman. People have shown QB's and 300 lbs. safeties ( Rick Noankeles) being effective in the secondary; it's mind boggling that people would try to defend those things.
People have always defended the game like crazy. However, with M11 it seems that it has become more acceptable to criticize the game. People had some harsh remarks if you illustrated flaws back in M10, but with M11 they aren't as negative. At least not all of them.

Back on topic. One of the first games of M11 I played convinced me to trade in the game. I played as the Ravens against the Browns (CPU). It played ok initially, but after some plays I got discourage. I saw receiver being smashed from the side only to see them fall forward. Running backs getting an extra 4-5 yards because a clumsy tumble animation had started etc. etc.

However, the play that made me give up on M11 was a 60+ yard running TD play where Jerome Harrison (205 lbs) stiff-armed Haloti Ngata (350 lbs), had multiple defenders, including Ray Lewis, bounce off the tackle by Terrell Suggs (260 lbs), broke off and ran 60+ yards

To answer in short:
  • Weight don't matter at all.
  • Height to some degree, but because all animations are universal both tall and short players play the same.
  • Ratings matter somewhat, but not a great deal. Once the game have decided on a certain animation, you have have a 6'7", 380 lbs, 99 strength player that is being pushed around like a baby trolly.

Last edited by guaps; 03-17-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
it's mind boggling that people would try to defend those things.
Please show me where anyone has defended any of this. All I say is it absolutely does not matter, since I never plan on placing my kicker on my Oline or my QB in the secondary.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
that vid on youtube is a classic example of i'll trust my eyes not being a good idea.

all madden makes any player for the cpu 99+ in almost all of his relevant to position ratings while it makes the user about 20( i really mean a rating of 20.......)j/k

so that punter playing LT is a 99 on all amdden in every OL rating he has a 99 even though it says 12

yes this is horrible rating logic........ but it is what it is......

now does weight and height matter NO they dont in terms of reality. wieght seems to me modified by the strength rating. if a guy has a 30 STR he wont truck or push anyone while if i give a 160lb guy 99 he would throw off 5 guys

this is the same in many other sport games, ex nba 2k11 on HOF shaq cant back down nash,

the problem with madden is the STR rating isnt curved tight enough this year, there is little difference between a 55 STR and a 85.

this is why devs can say their engine is capable of prodicing 2k esque gameplay, i believe them but i know they would never rate the game approiately to produce it and the curves they use dont deliver it either

this argument is deeper than madden is bad and broken? with the right tools and editing especially on the PC( where we have the tools) you can see where the problems are........
I think you got the video backwards...I'm pretty sure that by putting the player skill level at all madden he was showing how even a super buffed CPU player (in this case Suh) couldnt beat his paltry created center. The author of the video was playing offense so the odds should have been in the cpu's favor to win the matchup (off of the poor rating of his center and his center being even further skewed by being bound by all madden skill level).
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #31
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by maademperor
I think you got the video backwards...I'm pretty sure that by putting the player skill level at all madden he was showing how even a super buffed CPU player (in this case Suh) couldnt beat his paltry created center. The author of the video was playing offense so the odds should have been in the cpu's favor to win the matchup (off of the poor rating of his center and his center being even further skewed by being bound by all madden skill level).
nah bro V is on defense look at the blue circle.

#18 greatest EVA....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
nah bro V is on defense look at the blue circle.
****, youre right, my bad. this vid just lost some credibility. anyway, user control that dt and you can get by

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »