Home

Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all?

This is a discussion on Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
43M
Banned

OVR: 0
Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all?

This is a serious question. Have you ever noticed any real advantage that taller players have in Madden...most notable receivers and DBs? Seems like, for as long as I can remember, it really hasnt. I remember playing Madden 10 last year and I had I think it was Chaz Schillens (6'5) I threw a bomb to him against some mediocre 5'10 nickleback. The nickle jumped and was able to get up to the same height as Schillens, despite Schillens having 7 inches and I think 6 points higher jump rating.

Im just wondering if anyone has ever noticed it making a real difference in their game.

I mean, they took out the ability to edit height and weight in the game...youd think it would matter that being the case, but I havent seen anything that says it really makes a difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all?

From my own experience, height finally has an impact in Madden 11. Everytime I start a franchise I look for a tall receiver with hands to bail my QB out. It works like a charm. As for weight, not a factor at all. Try to snag a big running back in the draft or through a trade and you're likely to be very dissapointed when your 230 + pound back gets tapped to the ground.

2 cents

The little things matter. . what are the little things you say?. . . Idk. . surprise me ;-)

Sincerely,
Goodygoody
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Height might, but i'm positive weight didn't mean anything in madden 11. Check this out. This explains it better than me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i2Z62zy_mA
Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik kid Pk
Height might, but i'm positive weight didn't mean anything in madden 11. Check this out. This explains it better than me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i2Z62zy_mA
Ratings for offensive and defensive lineman mean absolutely nothing in this game. Finesse and power move ratings mean nothing; otherwise, why wasn't Suh able to beat an inferior offensive lineman with a swim or rip move.

Strength and size mean nothing because there are no animations for dynamic struggles. A Dlineman either gets pancaked, ends up in a stalemate with the olineman, or beats the olineman cleanly. There are no instances where an olineman gets pushed back while still managing to stay in between the Dlineman and the QB, or the ball carrier. This is why size and strength mean nothing, and it's also why defensive tackles are essentially obsolete; it's why there's no bush rush in the game, and it's why DTs basically play like DE's lined up on the inside.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 03-16-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

I don't think height or weight matters. This game feels scripted because it is completely animation driven and doesn't have enough to create these differences. It doesn't matter how tall or short the players are, if the game decides to use this animation...

The DB/WRs will be warped, glitched or slid into place to make it fit. Same thing happens when you put kickers on the oline, which has been shown countless times.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I don't think height or weight matters. This game feels scripted because it is completely animation driven and doesn't have enough to create these differences. It doesn't matter how tall or short the players are, if the game decides to use this animation...

The DB/WRs will be warped, glitched or slid into place to make it fit. Same thing happens when you put kickers on the oline, which has been shown countless times.
Agreed, as long as I can remember, I've never feared a wr because of his height. The only WRs that I feared, that were tall, were fast. This game is driven by two things, and two poor things as that, instead of three as it should be. Those three things are: ratings, AI, and animations. In Madden, AI and animations drive the game, ratings clearly (for years) have meant nothing. To make things worse, the AI is stupid, and the variety of animations just isn't there.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 36

Height matters, weight doesn't, and speed has been and for the forseeable future (for better or worse will be) the main rating.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Well bigger backs do fall forward. May do some tests to see if its ratings driven or size driven. Height seems to help a little mostly with qbs tho throwing across the middle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »