Home

Offline Franchise nuts: Bare minimum improvements?

This is a discussion on Offline Franchise nuts: Bare minimum improvements? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 AM   #49
Rookie

Icarus2k9's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Offline Franchise nuts: Bare minimum improvements?

Realistic expectations: claims of improved trade logic, player tendencies, hot and cold streaks referenced by the commentators a lot - with a lot more contextual commentator banter about a team's season and the importance of the current game - and that's it.

I don't see a hell of a lot happening to franchise this year again, but I'm guessing those changes above will be considered big changes by development. There's only one blog devoted to it and it's sharing time with Superstars, while the CBA confusion will have probably destroyed any changes to several areas of the game (squad limits, schedules, contracts) along with its own database system screwing up other changes (IR, practice squad).

That's not pessimism, it's just an awareness that they never truly committed to this year being "the one" for franchise in that fateful blog last year, there's a lot of uncertainty to franchises in the real life NFL, and they aren't willing to pour in features from Head Coach if they are too heavily based around menus and stats and all of that. (Might have got this wrong, but I'm pretty sure Phil Frazier or some other big gun went on record in saying they could put a chunk of improvements in as databases, but they were against doing it because it was not fun for the player to wade through numbers).
Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #50
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

I understand why you would think that Franchise will never get it's year, but I thought the reason they didn't change Franchise mode last year is because they were working on the Franchise mode for 12. So, if what they said last year was true, they've been working on a new franchise for two years now.

People keep saying that they want features from NFL Head Coach. I personally don't think that would work for Franchise mode. The main reason being it's from a different perspective. I could only have so much fun with Head Coach because you had an owner and a GM telling you who you need to draft, trade, and sign. I know that it was realistic, but it wasn't fun to play a whole off-season and get fired before the start of the season because you wanted to get rid of a bum that was taking up a huge amount of cap space.

Plus, the interface was annoying. I actually prefer the last gen Head Coach to Head Coach 09. I'd like to have total control over the teams I'm controlling. Franchise mode should be in the perspective of the owner. Total control!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
Is there a direct competitor to EA creating a NCAA-branded and/or NFL-branded football game? No. Does the absence of one mean lack of competition and lack of a need to move forward and make better games? No.
Even though there are other games out there, no alternative for an NFL football game exists. Quality will only sell an NFL football game if there are multiple Alternatives for NFL football; even then, popularity and being a house-hold name is much more effective at selling a product that quality or price.

When Madden had competition, they still sold the most copies even though the competition, as many would argue, was of a higher quality and the price was cheaper. Eventually that would've changed, but the popularity of the NFL and Madden is what moves copies; the game-play doesn't. Finally, people seem to be waking up (18% sales decrease); hopefully more people continue the trend. Only then will we get the true simulation experience that we want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #52
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21

All I really want is better (and by better i mean a complete overhaul) presentation! Offline franchise is pretty much the only mode I play in Madden and I couldn't even make it through season 1 of my franchise mode last year (thanks to all my limited gaming time going to NBA 2k11 instead).....but I just recently dusted off Madden 11 to pick back up my franchise that I started when I first got the game and last night finally made it to the off-season.

The off-season presentation is worse than the in-season presentation. I was really disappointed with the draft (no kind of presentation what so ever).....no pre-season predictions, etc.

I will admit that I've always been able to immerse myself in madden's simple (and boring) franchise mode (i just make up story lines of my on-going season in my head)...but i always have to LOOK for headlines and stories by looking at season standings or stats, league leaders, flipping through the injury report to see what big star has been injured, etc.... But I dont think I will be able to buy Madden 12 if I am having to forcefully immerse myself again (its not worth the $64.19 purchase for me anymore). Especially since I've been spoiled by NBA 2k's Association mode and I don't own it (because baseball isnt my thing) but I am aware of The Show's franchise presentation. Even thinking back to NFL 2k5's franchise presentation (just copy that for Christ sake!)....Hell, even their little brother's (NCAA 11) Dynasty mode presentation would do. I like the storylines that they atleast present to you within the interface.

I just signed Mike Vick who was a FA in my Jags Franchise during the off-season FA period. I was just sitting there wishing I had the NBA 2k Association mode presentation because they would have made a story out of it....along with other big signing around the league. As it stands now i have to flip through each NFL roster to find out any big moves that were made.

I just want the same thing I thought Madden had in last gen when they were really starting to work on in 2004 or '05 with the Tony Bruno show, News paper headlines featuring position battles, unhappy players etc. It was mostly fluff, but it was something to grow on and something I felt they were atleast making an attempt to improve. Now I just feel like franchise was just slapped on there at the last minute.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #53
Rookie

Reejer's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
I posted this in another thread, but it's worth repeating because so many people in this forum simply don't understand.

By releasing a video game onto the XBOX360, Playstation3, and/or any other given platform, EA is entering direct competition with any other company that releases a video game onto the platform(s) in question. As such EA has a direct need and incentive to continue to innovate and improve its games so that the consumer chooses its games over those of its competitors.

Is there a direct competitor to EA creating a NCAA-branded and/or NFL-branded football game? No. Does the absence of one mean lack of competition and lack of a need to move forward and make better games? No.
Although I do dig where you are coming from, I still have to disagree. Because you are talking about having exclusivity on the most popular sport in America, the NFL and it's athletes (NFLPA). I could see if you were talking about having the exclusive rights to Curling, or the Underwater Basketweavers Association. Because then you would really have to fight to stay alive in the gaming industry.

I only buy 1-2 titles for myself each year (Madden and NCAA), so in my case, EA doesn't have to worry about competition from other games. They just have to worry about the Madden brand defeating itself. On the current gen sytems they have failed utterly by focusing on luring little kids, who would rather be playing a game about shooting zombies, or running over hookers. Instead their focus should be attempting to keep their most loyal customers, who have stuck with them throughout the years, while innovating to draw in new fans.

And I have bought every Madden since it's inception, except for M-11' because of the lack of innovation for the offline modes, or hell even retrospection would be nice (M-06' PS2, and HC 09'). And I swear, if they say that they have "streamlined"* anything (in regards to Offline Modes for M-12'), it will take an act of God to bring me back into the Madden fold.

*Streamlined: Madden Developers codeword for stripping all of the fun, depth, and replayability out of a game mode. Used by the developers during; M-09' SS-Mode, and M-10' and M-11's F-Mode.
(synonyms: pillage, plunder, ransack, ravage, antonym: innovative addition)
Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #54
Dungeoneer

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reejer
Although I do dig where you are coming from, I still have to disagree. Because you are talking about having exclusivity on the most popular sport in America, the NFL and it's athletes (NFLPA). I could see if you were talking about having the exclusive rights to Curling, or the Underwater Basketweavers Association. Because then you would really have to fight to stay alive in the gaming industry.
The exclusive license is a huge plus for EA with regard to advertising, but it still will mean squat in the long run if EA doesn't produce quality games. Thus, they have motivation to improve the game each year.

Quote:
I only buy 1-2 titles for myself each year (Madden and NCAA), so in my case, EA doesn't have to worry about competition from other games.
This is EA's fault? If you Madden doesn't meet your standard of goodness, spend that $60 on a different game that does.

Quote:
They just have to worry about the Madden brand defeating itself. On the current gen sytems they have failed utterly by focusing on luring little kids, who would rather be playing a game about shooting zombies, or running over hookers. Instead their focus should be attempting to keep their most loyal customers, who have stuck with them throughout the years, while innovating to draw in new fans.
I think EA has at-worst performed a balancing act here. The game since next-gen Madden 08 has improved leaps and bounds every year; I can't argue further back than that because I did not buy next-gen Madden 06 or 07, they looked terrible to me at the time and I don't think I'd like them now either, lol.

Back to the point, EA seems to have balanced their improvements each year between the casual gamer and the hardcore gamer. Gameflow cut both ways in M11; it made games quicker, was a more realistic approach to playcalling (vs always having 300 plays at one's disposal), and made the interface far less intimidating for new players. In Madden 10, Pro-Tak technology affected effectively every player interaction on the field for a more realistic-performing game. Balancing that was the introduction of Madden Ultimate Team, which was expanded in Madden 11.

Quote:
And I have bought every Madden since it's inception, except for M-11' because of the lack of innovation for the offline modes, or hell even retrospection would be nice (M-06' PS2, and HC 09'). And I swear, if they say that they have "streamlined"* anything (in regards to Offline Modes for M-12'), it will take an act of God to bring me back into the Madden fold.

*Streamlined: Madden Developers codeword for stripping all of the fun, depth, and replayability out of a game mode. Used by the developers during; M-09' SS-Mode, and M-10' and M-11's F-Mode.
(synonyms: pillage, plunder, ransack, ravage, antonym: innovative addition)
A fair criticism, much of the new feature set in the Madden series as of late has catered towards the online gamer (online franchise, MUT, Madden Moments online, online team play). I disagree that Franchise mode was simplified between Madden 09 and Madden 10, because there simply wasn't enough there to begin with to simplify, feature-wise. The interface was overhauled for the better, however.

For the record, I'm right with you that if offline gameplay modes - particularly franchise mode - are not significantly expanded then I will not buy Madden 12.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #55
Rookie

tical2399's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43M
No offense, but those are ridiculous expectations for "bare minimum".

Head coach was an entire game devoted to simming a franchise. It didnt include gameplay and all the other features ****** does. Now, Im not saying they cant strive towards that or that it cant be their bar to which they aspire to reach, but as I said to the other guy, if thats the bare minimum for you, you are setting the bar way too high after one year and you are going to be disappointed.

This is why the franchise in ****** never improves because for every 10 franchise players speaking out on what the franchise needs to do there are always 1-2 guys babying EA and saying they are doing a good job when they are not.

I think more people should be pushing these "ridiculous expectations" so that they become the norm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #56
Rookie

tical2399's Arena

OVR: 3

My bare minimum would be the NCAA draft classes work right. This would involve NCAA and ****** teams working closer together.

When you import QBs into ****** they are all terrible because NCAA doesn't have the short, medium and deep accuracy stats that ****** does.

Secondly the computer should NOT be able to see ratings. I started a franchise and imported a NCAA draft class and saved right after the import when the cpu had already set the ratigns for the rookies.

I simmed the season and went to the draft and wrote down all the top 45 picks or so, then re-loaded the game same and simmed the season again. I did this 3 times. Each time the same rookies went at the same spots give or take a player going one spot higher or lower and that only happened once.

There need to be position coaches as many have said and they can be generic at first but as players retire they should move into those spots and the buffs they give should be determined by the type of player they were.

If I hire Barry Sanders as my RB coach eh shouldn't improve my RB trucking stiff arm. Also let there be team mentors who aid players in progression.

The 49ers had Issac Bruce when Crabtree was drafted i'm sure Crabtree learned a little from Bruce about reading coverages etc. Don't let it just be position specific.

If I got a young WR he might get a +3 in route running, reading coverages etc from being on the team with a vet star WR but he could also get maybe a +1 in some of those same areas by going up against a all pro CB in practice daily.

I got TONS more but that's just my bare minimum.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »