Home

how done do you think madden 12 is?

This is a discussion on how done do you think madden 12 is? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #17
Pro

brza37's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: how done do you think madden 12 is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
One would raise the question, is it good or bad that the game is "done" in late March for an August release?
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised that Phil would say that its pretty much done already except for bug fixing and polish almost 5 months before release.

Commissioner of Sim Madden League Europe. Established league for sim players in Europe. Join here:
SML - Europe PS4 Madden Online Franchise
Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #18
Dungeoneer

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised that Phil would say that its pretty much done already except for bug fixing and polish almost 5 months before release.
To be fair it's not like they are reinventing the wheel here. EA isn't remaking Madden from the ground-up each year; they add stuff on top of the previous years' work, rip sections of code out to be redone, tweak code here and there, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised nor discouraged if the game is already feature-complete and all EA is doing now is bug-squashing and game balancing. Those two things are half the battle.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #19
43M
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
To be fair it's not like they are reinventing the wheel here. EA isn't remaking Madden from the ground-up each year; they add stuff on top of the previous years' work, rip sections of code out to be redone, tweak code here and there, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised nor discouraged if the game is already feature-complete and all EA is doing now is bug-squashing and game balancing. Those two things are half the battle.

In Madden's case though, the wheel is uneven with tons of holes in it and pretty much needs to be reinvented.

That seems to be the problem. I could be wrong, but from what I gathered in the past, the Madden team doesnt really start working on the next years Madden until 3 months or so after the previous game is released. So if they start working on it in November, and they are basically done by mid March, thats only 4 1/2 months that the game is really being worked on in terms of new additions and major changes, and with a game like Madden who has so many issues...thats not much time at all.

Like I said...that could be wrong....just swore I heard someone from EA they started around November or so.

In the end though, this year could be the year that tells me whether or not Ill ever buy Madden again. So many promises made over the last 2 years. Last year EA blew it....if they do it again, I will never buy another EA product again (aside from things created by BioWare, which are actually good).
Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
Dungeoneer

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43M
In Madden's case though, the wheel is uneven with tons of holes in it and pretty much needs to be reinvented.
If it were so broken it wouldn't sell so well. I personally enjoyed the core football mechanic of Madden NFL 11, but there were plenty of other things that bugged me, namely lack off offline depth and lack of in-game atmosphere. Madden 11 wasn't a game of the year candidate, and I did not buy it initially upon release, but it was pretty good IMO.

Quote:
That seems to be the problem. I could be wrong, but from what I gathered in the past, the Madden team doesnt really start working on the next years Madden until 3 months or so after the previous game is released. So if they start working on it in November, and they are basically done by mid March, thats only 4 1/2 months that the game is really being worked on in terms of new additions and major changes, and with a game like Madden who has so many issues...thats not much time at all.

Like I said...that could be wrong....just swore I heard someone from EA they started around November or so.
If EA employed the waterfall approach to software development, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a great amount of planning beforehand which led to only five months of hard coding. I sincerely doubt they do that, however, as no software development studio with any sense does waterfall anymore. Notwithstanding that you did qualify your assertion, I sincerely doubt they only work on the the guts of the game for five months.

Quote:
In the end though, this year could be the year that tells me whether or not Ill ever buy Madden again. So many promises made over the last 2 years. Last year EA blew it....if they do it again, I will never buy another EA product again (aside from things created by BioWare, which are actually good).
No need to speak in such absolutes, just be an educated consumer each year as to whether you think the game is worth buying. Try the demo, Gamefly it, read OS impressions from posters whose opinions you trust, etc. Make an informed decision.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #21
EA Game Changer

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
From what I understand the vacation is 3 weeks from pressing, meaning they start about when the new game is shipped. They have to be absolutely done by early June for certification, and the game cannot get pushed back, so I'd imagine they spend as much time as possible bugtesting and optimizing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #22
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

70-80% I'd say. They're probably just putting it all together now, should be 95% done by E3.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #23
Pro

videlsports's Arena

OVR: 25
Icon13 Re: how done do you think madden 12 is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe

This ^ Probably done when Madden 11 was done add 1 or 2 features and viola..
MLB:PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
NCAAFB:PENN ST (Jerry's Gone PSU Moves on)
NCAABB:KENTUCKY WILDCATS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »