Home

Anyone have a weird feeling Madden will be really good this year?

This is a discussion on Anyone have a weird feeling Madden will be really good this year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #41
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Anyone have a weird feeling Madden will be really good this year?

I do. I have felt this way for about a month now.

I hated Madden period since the next gen era began, but Madden 11 was the game that brought some life back to the franchise for me.

Now I'm still not a huge fan of the engine , but the game is playable , and that is all I ask.

I see Madden 12 really doing some great things this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #42
MVP

blklightning's Arena

OVR: 9

yes. of course i just drank a NOS energy drink so it's hard to say what's really the cause. but i'll go out on a limb and say that it's probably not madden. a pm from a member of the dev team instilled very little confidence. almost like they didn't want credit for it. but as always, i'm hopeful it turns out great. i really want to play a good football game this gen.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I have never cared if I was popular. While I don't say things intentionally to irk folks, I can't say I'm at all concerned if they are.

As far as Madden being a phonomenon - look around. There is a difference between Madden and every other football game. There are three types of people - Those that love Madden, that hate Madden, and people who don't play pro football video games.

Think of it this way... When the Gamedays, 2K, and Backbreaker games were released, where was the fanfare? Where were the midnight release parties? Who scrambled to get the games early?

Madden on the other hand has fanfare, release parties, and folks who would give their left thumb to get the game before it's released.

Check the sales figures for the past 10 years. No competition - even when there are competitors. It always comes back to Madden. People who buy other games do it to get away from Madden - yet no one buys Madden to get away from other games.

Imagine how silly a thread titled "Boycott Backbreaker" would seem. Yet we see them for Madden all the time. You can't inspire that sort of resentment unless you're a phenomenon.

Even when Madden is disappointing, it's still the best football game. It's not EA's doing. WE MAKE MADDEN A PHENOMENON.

My comment about being easier to whine than work is pointed directly at the people who spend hours looking for flaws to report when they could have spent that same time and effort enjoying the game. When I see folks taking the time to create an offensive line full of punters and kickers, I realize what type of effort is required - then I compare it to the VALUE of the act.

If my house was on fire, I wouldn't want people standing around talking about the ways I could have prevented the fire after the blaze turns into an inferno. I'd rather those guys get a bucket of water and help with the dousing.

Football is a sport of being practical... What many guys do is simply NOT practical. I stop short of saying what I REALLY WANT TO SAY in the terms I want to say them. Imagine if I cut loose.

It just irks me to see people who aren't Madden fans influencing other folks who would be if not bombarded with an academic analysis of the game that stretches what is imaginable into the obscenely irrelevant.

I wouldn't take martial arts classes taught by someone who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, yet Madden haters do the equivalent every day.

Take it from me... I've played Madden for 20 years. I was HORRIBLE the first 2, got better in the next 10... Then I realized I was only fooling myself into thinking I was good for all those years. For the past 8, I've been working at being the best Madden player I can be - and it's HARD WORK trying to outwit everyone you face. Easier to whine.

I harbor little respect for those who use the asinine as proof of the ridiculous.

Later
Interesting that you would see nothing wrong in a game that allows a kicker to pancake a DT. Sure who would put a Kicker into block a DT, but it highlights a flaw in the game in regards to hight and wieght having no meaning.

Check out the Sim standard and look at their vids. It is not just nit picking. They highlight fundimental flaws in Madden in hops of getting them fixed.

They are pointing out stuff that has been turning the sim community off of Madden. I am glad they are there because it is much harder for me to voice my concerns in any meaningfull way. I need guys like them to say the things I want to say, but am not as gifted in getting my point across.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Think of it this way... When the Gamedays, 2K, and Backbreaker games were released, where was the fanfare? Where were the midnight release parties? Who scrambled to get the games early?
Yes, there were. You just weren't paying attention. And by the time midnight release parties were finally becoming socially relevant (sometime around 2004-2005 with the advent of social media), Madden no longer had any viable competition due to the exclusive contract. You know as well as anyone else that the "other company" was finally making inroads into the genre thanks to their competitive price-cuts and innovative gameplay. The "other company" essentially had a 3 year-plan dating back to their 2k2 release to gradually gain market share over a market largely dominated by EA. By 2005, they finally succeeded in winning over significant market share and it was enough to force EA to cut their release price to $39.99, something they never ever did in their entire history. The "other company" was literally at the precipice at becoming a very relevant football company, but it was all for naught when they were forced out of the industry later that year.

I won't deny that Madden is a "phenomenon", as you put it, but it took a sterilized decade of non-competition to become what it is now.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:23 AM   #45
All Star

OVR: 33

Long live the king!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #46
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Thx for the explanation TNT. While I don't agree with all of it, I respect you for cordially defending your position and opinions.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #47
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

Will Madden 12 be really good...depends is getting hit by a bus btter than getting hit by a truck? What will really be the difference in the product. Thinking about the features from M11 (worst year for addition by far), and the short amount of time between releases, and I'm expecting some new lipstick on the same ole pig.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #48
Straight cash homie

FreAk47's Arena

OVR: 3

After playing MLB 11, and NBA 2K11...there is no way i can look at Madden as an accurate representation the sport of football. Almost every aspect of the game just doesn't compare to other sports titles. The presentation/commentary in Madden is laughable compared to those two games. And the on the field representation of the sport may be even worse. So...no, I don't have a weird feeling that Madden will be really good this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »